Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Speed limits going up

Good news.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...an/2946374002/
Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

hopefully that will be accompanied with a "keep right unless passing" campaign!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
hopefully that will be accompanied with a "keep right unless passing" campaign!
This is unlikely to happen in my lifetime! Even in Germany, the only way to get someone to pull over to the right in the hammer lane is to unsafely tailgate at triple digits- otherwise they don't move over because the slow lane is significantly slower. Too much traffic to really function the way it should with the passing lane staying open for passing. Two more lane in California will probably not be enough capacity to open it up.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

High speed motoring is a cooperative game which requires the highest level of attention from both the slower and faster cars. Given how careless and unskilled the average American driver is (and that's without even getting to the epidemic of people checking their ****ing phones), I can't see it happening.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
This is unlikely to happen in my lifetime! Even in Germany, the only way to get someone to pull over to the right in the hammer lane is to unsafely tailgate at triple digits- otherwise they don't move over because the slow lane is significantly slower. Too much traffic to really function the way it should with the passing lane staying open for passing. Two more lane in California will probably not be enough capacity to open it up.
I agree, I am originally from the UK where this was, at the time, taught to new drivers (in that case keep left unless passing), not sure if that is still true. as you point out only relevant in off peak, low density traffic.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
High speed motoring is a cooperative game which requires the highest level of attention from both the slower and faster cars. Given how careless and unskilled the average American driver is (and that's without even getting to the epidemic of people checking their ****ing phones), I can't see it happening.
Exactly this. Americans in general seem to be very distracted drivers and I don't think most actually take it very seriously. A lot of it comes down to the fact that we also aren't nearly as heavily penalized for poor driving as you are in other places.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

It should not happen in U.S., public roads are packed with riders on the driver's seat.

Drivers are more focused on their smartphones, taking selfies, chats, video chats, etc. Inattentive driving is a very common cause for car accidents.

Speed doesn't kill as much as speed differential, and raising speed limits or removing them will increase the differential. When I have driven in the Autobahn, the speed differential is significant between the passing lane (that has become the semi-fast traffic lane these days), and the slow lanes, but at least there 50% of the drivers know what they are doing, and the other 50% are coming from Eastern Europe and North Africa and tend not to assimilate to the driving standards in Germany.

At some point in the future there could be autonomous driving lanes, exclusive for self-driving cars, on those lanes the speed limit could be safely increased, as long as drivers can't have inputs while on those lanes (GPS + g-meters + motion sensors can provide accurate position these days). Right on those lanes, they can play with their portable electronics.

I would like to see speed limits on racetracks, so when those Arrow 9.0 Dodges, 991 Turbos, and 570S floor it on the long straights, my under-powered GT3 RS doesn't have to wait another lap to beg for a turn signal or a point-by.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

More likely to happen in the states.

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/man...in-three-years
Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Not happening, better chance of loosing the front plate.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Golden Boy

finally, the real reason for Brexit
Old 02-22-2019, 02:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
This will make jail-breaking cars really popular!
Old 02-22-2019, 02:47 PM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF I like California now!
Old 02-23-2019, 08:37 AM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

It’s CA so we need a tax angle ... both charge people to use the lanes, and require extra training/licensing (driving school, logged hours with instructor, etc.). Expand it the the whole state, make getting the license akin to a pilots license. Help offset cost and increase safety.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:07 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by poverty spec
WTF I like California now!
That was my first thought as well, but then I was thinking of the instagram videos of the Mustangs and kids in their tuner cars abusing the privilege...

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
It’s CA so we need a tax angle ... both charge people to use the lanes, and require extra training/licensing (driving school, logged hours with instructor, etc.). Expand it the the whole state, make getting the license akin to a pilots license. Help offset cost and increase safety.
sigh

Quick Reply: Speed limits going up