Sponsored by:

What is that sound in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 02:35 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What is that sound in the back?

I know it's probably normal as are 99% of the sounds coming from the GT3. I love all of them, but I wanted to just make sure this one is normal. When going over a small (couple inch) metal bump (from the garage door in my building) there's a loud "thump" that occurs like something is loose. Never happens during driving on the road or at least all the other great sounds hide it. Have you noticed this too? Is it the exhaust moving? Something else? Again I'm pretty sure it's normal but I'm curious as to which component would have so much movement.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Is your lift raised when you go over this? Sometimes the rear springs can make noise and when the nose is lifted the front suspension can make some noise on bumps.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
I know it's probably normal as are 99% of the sounds coming from the GT3. I love all of them, but I wanted to just make sure this one is normal. When going over a small (couple inch) metal bump (from the garage door in my building) there's a loud "thump" that occurs like something is loose. Never happens during driving on the road or at least all the other great sounds hide it. Have you noticed this too? Is it the exhaust moving? Something else? Again I'm pretty sure it's normal but I'm curious as to which component would have so much movement.
I've heard this noise as well; there isn't too much sound deadening in a GT3 and it only happens to me over intense bumps. I suspect the sound is normal; I'm not really worried about it
Old 02-08-2019, 05:32 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
Is your lift raised when you go over this? Sometimes the rear springs can make noise and when the nose is lifted the front suspension can make some noise on bumps.
No it's not raised.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:35 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I've heard this noise as well; there isn't too much sound deadening in a GT3 and it only happens to me over intense bumps. I suspect the sound is normal; I'm not really worried about it
Exactly, it's not a nicely graded speed bump. It's small with a sharp drop.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:15 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems like I read a similar post a couple months ago, the OP found a few loose bolts to the suspension. I can’t say I’ve heard what you’re describing in my 16 RS and yes, it does have the front lift.
Why assume everything is a ok? I'd suggest getting her up in the air ensuring everything is tight.,,it’s a sure way of knowing. Probably a good hour, but could put your mind at rest. Best! JB
Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Exactly, it's not a nicely graded speed bump. It's small with a sharp drop.
Sounds similar to what we are hearing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nloaded-2.html
Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Sounds similar to what we are hearing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nloaded-2.html
Thanks, that is the same problem. I'll maybe f/u with that thread. Looks like no definitive answers yet.

Quick Reply: What is that sound in the back?