Sponsored by:

clear film on new gt3/rs headlights - what's the latest

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:53 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default clear film on new gt3/rs headlights - what's the latest

i recall there were delamination problems when the gt4 was launched, folks saying not to let clear bra guys stick clear film over the headlight plastic

is this still the case? or has the oem headlight plastic material issue been addressed?

asking as my newly arrived car is in the shop now being done
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

I think the spilt is 50:50
still risky and highly depended on installer if you ask me
I decided against it on both of my 911s
Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

With film and the right installer, there is a chance your head lights are OK.
Without it, you’re sure you will be replacing them. Like windshields.. Insurance?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:18 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
With film and the right installer, there is a chance your head lights are OK.
Without it, you’re sure you will be replacing them. Like windshields.. Insurance?

peter, when are u coming west to do socal back roads drive again?

mooty and chris f quit tracking... sstho working everyday all day all night... i cannot get anyone to go east to drive sebring anymore
Old 01-27-2019, 07:18 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

All covered. Honestly my bet most have traded or sold the car to see the impact. My installer nomissurs with removal when needed.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
peter, when are u coming west to do socal back roads drive again?

mooty and chris f quit tracking... sstho working everyday all day all night... i cannot get anyone to go east to drive sebring anymore
Been fairly pushy with the usual suspects, but yes looks like I’m shipping Mr purple West after I get back from ED..
Or, if not next summer.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

What’s the real downside to PPF-ing the headlights.

Sure you run run the risk of delamination, but what’s the alternative? Leave them exposed and you’re going to get pockmarked headlights which you’ll probably want to replace anyway since anyone that’s asking about PPF-ing the headlights probably really care about keeping them baby butt smooth.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Most PPF companies have advised installers not to install PPF on 2016+ Porsche for risk of delamination. No doubt people get it done and there are no issues but there is risk and some have had issues.

I see people so worried about pitting on the headlights. I've had PPF on my current cars but nothing before that, I don't ever recall having pits in my headlights. Is this a Porsche concern?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:41 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Most PPF companies have advised installers not to install PPF on 2016+ Porsche for risk of delamination. No doubt people get it done and there are no issues but there is risk and some have had issues.

I see people so worried about pitting on the headlights. I've had PPF on my current cars but nothing before that, I don't ever recall having pits in my headlights. Is this a Porsche concern?
I have 10,000 kms on my GT4, including a track day and the headlights look fine. Actually, I didn’t PPF any part of the car and the paint still looks good aside from one small chip on the lower front bumper. I’m mindful to leave a healthy gap when following cars on the highway to minimize the risk of stones/debris. Makes me wonder if PPF is really necessary unless tracking regularly or doing serious mileage accumulation.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I have 10,000 kms on my GT4, including a track day and the headlights look fine. Actually, I didn’t PPF any part of the car and the paint still looks good aside from one small chip on the lower front bumper. I’m mindful to leave a healthy gap when following cars on the highway to minimize the risk of stones/debris. Makes me wonder if PPF is really necessary unless tracking regularly or doing serious mileage accumulation.
I think it's more about insurance, cheap insurance on having perfect or near perfect paint. It's no sure fire guarantee but better than nothing if chips and scratches would bug you. I had a 2012 Acura TL...within a week of ownership I was driving on the highway and a stone was thrown up on my hood. Gouged to the metal in a smallish spot. Hood required repaint, quality was not the same. I'm sure that had to do with the body shop as it was done twice and still not perfect under all lighting. So for that reason I do it, could it have saved me, don't know. But better than nothing.

For sure the more miles the better the odds of something happening. But you never know when so in comes PPF.

I'm debating on doing my headlights on the GT3 when spring comes.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:11 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I think it's more about insurance, cheap insurance on having perfect or near perfect paint. It's no sure fire guarantee but better than nothing if chips and scratches would bug you. I had a 2012 Acura TL...within a week of ownership I was driving on the highway and a stone was thrown up on my hood. Gouged to the metal in a smallish spot. Hood required repaint, quality was not the same. I'm sure that had to do with the body shop as it was done twice and still not perfect under all lighting. So for that reason I do it, could it have saved me, don't know. But better than nothing.

For sure the more miles the better the odds of something happening. But you never know when so in comes PPF.

I'm debating on doing my headlights on the GT3 when spring comes.
I now do use PPF on the headlights after trashing the headlights on my 15 GT3 from track use.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 PM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

wow you must have been lucky. My GT4 has a bunch of Sri e chips on the scoop after a few hundred miles that I had it touched up then whole car wrapped. I find Porsche paint is fairly soft. At least in the north east it chipped very easily.

Trying to decide if I wrap my headlights.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:05 AM
GT Venum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the issue is removing the film down the road. Make sure if you or your installer removes the film from the lights that you use a lot of steam. When you steam the film the adhesive melts and comes off with no pressure at all.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Delamination on the edges occurs independent of whether or not ppf is installed on headlights. Ppf is used as a scapegoat when it occurs, but it has nothing to do with it. I've seen delamination occur on multiple cars that have not had ppf and it happened on my rear tail lights which do not have ppf. None of my ppf headlights have delaminated

Also, I've personally removed the ppf on the headlights of 2 of my cars and they look pristine underneath. Just like new. The glue tends to stick into the headlight which makes it look like delamination, but it's just glue. Removal of the glue can be a pain, but once off, looks perfect
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 AM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Heavily depends on where you live and what you use the car for.

For instance, I live in PA and was driving my wife's Lexus RX. Out of nowhere noticed a crap load of stones being thrown up on the highway, I even slowed down to get away from the car in front of me. Cracked the windshield in 3 places in a matter of a minute and a half. This was the result of road construction crew not cleaning up after their work. The front end of the car has PPF on it... no blemishes at all. Luckily windshield was repaired / filled in under the warranty.

Quick Reply: clear film on new gt3/rs headlights - what's the latest