Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Gt3 Touring high frequency dash vibration

 
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 PM
  #31  
PorscheFrank
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
PorscheFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 304
Default

I had a very similar buzzing issue in my dash since delivery in November. would come on around 4k rpm. Sometimes it was worse than other times. I thought maybe ambient temperature had something to do with how loud the buzzing was (seemed to buzz louder when it wasn't so cold outside). Anyway I brought it to the dealer and to my surprise they were able to identify and fix the issue. It was something to do with the AC control unit. I'll check the dealer print out when I get home and get back to you. Anyhow they replaced that part and the sound completely went away.
PorscheFrank is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 02:16 PM
  #32  
tonymission
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
tonymission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,051
Default

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank View Post
I had a very similar buzzing issue in my dash since delivery in November. would come on around 4k rpm. Sometimes it was worse than other times. I thought maybe ambient temperature had something to do with how loud the buzzing was (seemed to buzz louder when it wasn't so cold outside). Anyway I brought it to the dealer and to my surprise they were able to identify and fix the issue. It was something to do with the AC control unit. I'll check the dealer print out when I get home and get back to you. Anyhow they replaced that part and the sound completely went away.
Thanks, please do! This thread is such a relief to me, now I can keep the car! LOL
tonymission is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 04:06 PM
  #33  
Soul Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Soul Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Posts: 1,471
Default

I have also experienced two 991.1 GT3s with the dash vibration. I could press on the AC control unit and make it go away, neither of the owners could hear it so it was never properly diagnosed and resolved.

- John Gaydos
__________________
Soul Performance Products
Outstanding Exhaust Solutions, Fair Pricing, and Quality Service

John Gaydos - Performance Specialist

PCA National Instructor
Cell - (484) 883-6197
[email protected]

Mike Spock - Marketing Manager
Office (855) 486-1400
Soul Performance is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 12:28 PM
  #34  
tonymission
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
tonymission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,051
Default

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank View Post
I had a very similar buzzing issue in my dash since delivery in November. would come on around 4k rpm. Sometimes it was worse than other times. I thought maybe ambient temperature had something to do with how loud the buzzing was (seemed to buzz louder when it wasn't so cold outside). Anyway I brought it to the dealer and to my surprise they were able to identify and fix the issue. It was something to do with the AC control unit. I'll check the dealer print out when I get home and get back to you. Anyhow they replaced that part and the sound completely went away.
Any update here? I'd love to know exactly what they did so I can take it to my dealer and they won't look at me sideways.
tonymission is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
  #35  
PorscheFrank
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
PorscheFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 304
Default

Just to close the loop on this here is the report from my dealer.

PorscheFrank is offline  
Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 PM
  #36  
JAM2
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
JAM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Posts: 1,054
Default

I think my vibration is coming from the center console. I do have change in the center which I should probably remove to pinpoint the location better.
JAM2 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:37 AM
  #37  
itsujack
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
itsujack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 120
Default

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank View Post
Just to close the loop on this here is the report from my dealer.

Thank you for posting this. My noise is back and the weather is getting cooler here in Sydney so would align with your previous notes. I'll be taking it back to the dealer together with a printout of your issue and see what happens.
itsujack is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 PM
  #38  
DrKid
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
DrKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 76
Default

Originally Posted by JAM2 View Post
I think my vibration is coming from the center console. I do have change in the center which I should probably remove to pinpoint the location better.
My car is going to the dealer tomorrow - AC Fan speed rocker switch vibration was located - finger pressure on rocker switch stops vibration... just to add another data point as random vibrations drive me crazy
DrKid is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 PM
  #39  
DrKid
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
DrKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 76
Default

Originally Posted by DrKid View Post
My car is going to the dealer tomorrow - AC Fan speed rocker switch vibration was located - finger pressure on rocker switch stops vibration... just to add another data point as random vibrations drive me crazy
As a follow up - dealer replacing A/C Control Unit to resolve vibration. So we are not crazy...seems to be an issue across a few cars.
DrKid is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 PM
  #40  
kyrocks
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
kyrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DFW, TX, USA
Posts: 4,003
Default

It is more pronounced with a louder after market exhaust too.
kyrocks is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:11 PM
  #41  
DrKid
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
DrKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 76
Default

Probably true - noticed it more after installing the JCR Side Muffler Bypass - hope replacement corrects
DrKid is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 PM
  #42  
joerg65
User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Default

I had this happen twice. Once was caused by a garage door fob I had stuck to my centre console - the small ring that you use to connect it to a key chain was vibrating. The second time it was the mount for my dash cam just below my rear vision mirror - this vibration came and went depending on the temperature. Both sounded like the sound was coming from the dash. The point is that it’s very likely the vibration may not actually be originating from the dash.
joerg65 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 PM
  #43  
DrKid
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
DrKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 76
Default

Originally Posted by joerg65 View Post
I had this happen twice. Once was caused by a garage door fob I had stuck to my centre console - the small ring that you use to connect it to a key chain was vibrating. The second time it was the mount for my dash cam just below my rear vision mirror - this vibration came and went depending on the temperature. Both sounded like the sound was coming from the dash. The point is that it’s very likely the vibration may not actually be originating from the dash.
Was localized to Air Conditioning Volume control rocker switch.
1. Removed EVERYTHING from car - garage clicker, radar detector, glove box contents, front trunk contents, verified no change under seat etc.
2. Sound was 100% eradicated if finger resting on air conditioning volume control rocker switch.
3. Confirmed by dealer

but yes, I have had noises that have been hard to track down in the past - thus the thorough go through before giving to dealer
DrKid is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 PM
  #44  
dmo0207
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 17
Default

I determined that the AC control unit is the source in my car as well. I need to put fingers on all the toggles to make it stop when it occurs around 5,000 RPM. I'm wondering if replacing that whole unit will fix it long term given the vibrations transmitted through the tunnel?
dmo0207 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: