Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SpeedTech 991.2 GT3 Exhaust Development Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

If you are tracking a lot Ti is not the best option. Ti will crack under very hot temps and cooling cycles. That’s why factory race cars use Inconel but VERY $$$$.

Stainless is the more more durable choice and it won’t make a bit of difference in your lap times.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
If you are tracking a lot Ti is not the best option. Ti will crack under very hot temps and cooling cycles. That’s why factory race cars use Inconel but VERY $$$$.

Stainless is the more more durable choice and it won’t make a bit of difference in your lap times.
Titanium definitely cracks (from personal experience), but if I remember correctly the 991 RSR uses inconel headers/titanium exhaust. But that’s a factory team with a seemingly unlimited budget. As a privateer, if I tracked a lot I’d stick with SS, and this is coming from someone with a full titanium race pipe.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:01 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
If you come up with something that you can guarantee deletes the 1500-3500rpm drone/booming with the valves open - you have a customer. That particular offer doesn't seem to exist on the market yet...
That's our goal erik. We have been very successful eliminating drone on other challenging Porsche models, so we plan to employ what we have learned in the past and attempt to create a drone free design here...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Gasman85
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I’d take a design like the JCR race pipe but in stainless steel
Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
We have been very successful eliminating drone on other challenging Porsche models, so we plan to employ what we have learned in the past and attempt to create a drone free design here...
Acoustic holography cameras/microphone arrays have come down in price quite a bit...
Old 04-18-2019, 02:52 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have concluded our 991.2 GT3 exhaust design and have a some video to share which highlights the results. We found the OEM exhaust in standard mode was pretty weak, so we set out to improve this aspect of the exhaust in our design. Standard (non sport) mode utilizes a small diameter pipe and most aftermarket exhausts use a sharp 90 degree bend into the main pipe, way back near the muffler. We found this stifles the sound in standard mode, so we brought the small pipe much further out, close to the tips and created an elongated 30 degree angle transition, effectively tripling the size of the outlet orifice that dumps into the main tube. This dramatically increased the sound level in standard mode, which is a huge plus. For the main pipe, we employed an oversized "X" design for Hi Flow and to fully merge the two banks for superior sound quality. Our tips are 102mm diameter (same as OEM) with a brushed polished finish and are cut to the exact same specification as OEM and located/positioned identically to OEM. They look great and appear right for the car. In the end, we feel that we have achieved a unique exhaust design that promises to reward 991.2 GT3 owners with a quality product and an epic aural experience. This system sounded fantastic! Our exhaust systems are hand made in the USA with proper materials and are warrantied for life for the original owner. We will also be offering a substantial discount for the first 10 systems ordered by forum members.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:46 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oversized "X" design provides exceptional flow and full blending of the exhaust paths for superior sound characteristics

Here is a shot of the elongated bypass tubes located close to the tips to deliver increased sound in standard mode. The elongated design triples the opening size to the main pipe, so that when in standard mode the car has a dramatically improved sound.

The tips are placed and sized exactly as OEM.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:59 AM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

REVIEW:

I am always very critical of exhaust modification in regards to sound improvement/price point but after several days with the new SpeedTech GT3/GT3RS center exhaust I cannot be any happier with the outcome. John, the exhaust is 'as advertised', honestly, I would say beyond. The sound is tremendous and build quality top notch(as I would expect from you guys). What I did not expect though, was how quiet standard mode is in the car. The difference between the full-on and the quiet setting is remarkable making the system extremely flexible. This is the way Porsche should have designed it from the start.

Having the bar set high from my last .2 C4S SpeedTech exhaust I was skeptical that the overall outcome could be better, but it is. Thanks John! -and for the forum discount : )

Quick Reply: SpeedTech 991.2 GT3 Exhaust Development Thread