Sponsored by:

.2 RS Track-focused Alignment Specs...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Not to rub it in but rather hoping it may help - Porsche Burlingame replaced my PDK entirely within 3 days of a drop-off for a recurring oil leak. The first time they replaced a pan, and it took ~5 business days because shipping took longer.

Anyway, looking forward to updates on Dunlops. MPSC2 are good, and I don't have as much of a problem with having a slow day when they get to wear bars, but I hate when fronts get there before rears and because of the grip impbalance the car starts to understeer so badly it's just plain frustrating.
Thanks. Hopefully Porsche will just make a decision on what to do quickly so I can get the car back next week. Dealers hands are tied until Porsche make a decision.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Any of you tried Trofeo R ? Don’t hear much about them...plus I do t know how they do on the street. I don’t have a 2nd set of track wheels.
I hate them. Too finicky with pressures and temps and only good for one day. I haven't met anyone here in NorCal who likes them.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

thanks for the Trfeo advice... i didn't think they'd work for me.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:11 PM
bammb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock setup with max downforce worked great for me at Road Atlanta.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

thanks for the Trfeo advice... i didn't think they'd work for me.
Keep in mind lots of people will totally disagree with me. I went through 2 sets of trofeoR in my .1GT3 and just didn't feel the love. At all.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:55 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Keep in mind lots of people will totally disagree with me. I went through 2 sets of trofeoR in my .1GT3 and just didn't feel the love. At all.
For '1 day'... I think everyone agree's the Trofeo R are the quickest tire (beside Hoosier R7 which isn't available in a 21").

It's that the Trofeo R falls off quickly after that day... but when I did Euro Delivery in 2018... the factory driver confirmed the same thing... Trofeo R fastest... Dunlap next (but said doesn't like abuse... if they get hot, they don't 'come back')... Michelin not the fastest, but most consistent and take the abuse best.

For me... Cup 2 is the perfect street tire (as is Pilot Sport 4s)... and the just go dedicated Hoosier for the track stuff.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 12-24-2018, 10:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Believe it or not, stock is the best baseline. I practice what I preach. Stock sway bar settings. Only change I did was max aero settings and the car felt fantastic. The front cup2 tires wear evenly and the rear tires have the unavoidable outer edge wear. Running Dunlops now and will see how they do. I think Dunlops are the better tire.

https://youtu.be/R6RCbL1Woh4
But what is the stock setting please?

I may follow you on the new and improved Dunlops as there is no way to keep the MPSC2 outer edges alive for 4 track days.
Just like you, I tried 2 sets but the tire just fell apart in the middle and chunked away.
Was hoping the new .2RS spring rates in the rear will help, but if you have tried is without success....

Old 12-24-2018, 10:15 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You get 6-8 good heat cycles and then the tires lose their magic. Best street tires I've tracked with are still the RE-71Rs on my GT4...good on the street and in the wet and great grip at the track when warmed up with lots of cycles.
Would love them to be available in 19" 295 - 345/375. Or even oem sizes. Seems to be the best option for GT4's to drive to and from the track.

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
For '1 day'... I think everyone agree's the Trofeo R are the quickest tire (beside Hoosier R7 which isn't available in a 21").

It's that the Trofeo R falls off quickly after that day... but when I did Euro Delivery in 2018... the factory driver confirmed the same thing... Trofeo R fastest... Dunlap next (but said doesn't like abuse... if they get hot, they don't 'come back')... Michelin not the fastest, but most consistent and take the abuse best.

For me... Cup 2 is the perfect street tire (as is Pilot Sport 4s)... and the just go dedicated Hoosier for the track stuff.

Best Regards,
Dave
The 19" fronts have the big advantage of being able to go 295 wide with the nose on the ground. No more on throttle understeer.
+1 on the MPSC2 for street driving, but then better go with Pilot Sport 4s.

I'm done with Hoosiers, great for the track if they could fix their quality issues.
Tried to finish off my last set this weekend, but again, one leaked and corded before the rest was worn out. I haven't been able to finish one single set of Hoosiers before the bead wire came out, they became eggs or the carcass failed. Too dangerous, too expensive, I will never buy a Hoosier again until many customers prove to me that they have fixed their quality.

I will try slicks and if that's doesn't work, back to OEM until there is a better tire available for 19".

Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
But what is the stock setting please?

I may follow you on the new and improved Dunlops as there is no way to keep the MPSC2 outer edges alive for 4 track days.
Just like you, I tried 2 sets but the tire just fell apart in the middle and chunked away.
Was hoping the new .2RS spring rates in the rear will help, but if you have tried is without success....
Don't know what stock is. Dealer is supposed to get me the numbers and check what mine is sitting at, but the car is rotting away while Porsche gets their act together on my pdk leak. Will let you know once I do.

A dual compound tire like the cup2 just doesn't make sense for a track tire. That is why finding the right alignment for that tire has been impossible. I think some adjustments can be made with the Dunlops to optimize them for me, but stock is the best place to start, and I need my car back!
Old 12-24-2018, 11:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

We will do lots of testing at Winterfest, Jan 16-20.
40+ 991’s under the tent. You should come, we need you.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
We will do lots of testing at Winterfest, Jan 16-20.
40+ 991’s under the tent. You should come, we need you.

Someday!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Thread reported to mods for driving and track content.

Thanks guys for keeping rennlist real!

now where did i put my stitch sample and adm?
Old 12-24-2018, 01:10 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not, stock is the best baseline. I practice what I preach. Stock sway bar settings. Only change I did was max aero settings and the car felt fantastic. The front cup2 tires wear evenly and the rear tires have the unavoidable outer edge wear. Running Dunlops now and will see how they do. I think Dunlops are the better tire.

https://youtu.be/R6RCbL1Woh4
Excellent work! Were you running an unlimited sound day or did the car pass 92db as is?

BTW - I agree as to the Trofeos - sidewall is too stiff for me to get a feel for the car....
Old 12-24-2018, 01:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thusly
Excellent work! Were you running an unlimited sound day or did the car pass 92db as is?

BTW - I agree as to the Trofeos - sidewall is too stiff for me to get a feel for the car....
Thanks! 90dB day. Turnaway pipes and exhaust flapper switch
Old 12-24-2018, 04:00 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Are the Dunlop’s a multi rubber compound like the MPSC2’s? I can’t find any info on this but if they are not then we might be able to dial in a better alignment and have better wear than the MPSC2 gives us.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Are the Dunlop’s a multi rubber compound like the MPSC2’s? I can’t find any info on this but if they are not then we might be able to dial in a better alignment and have better wear than the MPSC2 gives us.
They are single compound. Yup, that is my thought. I'm done with cup2s. The new max race 2 seem to be the way to go. The old max race 1 were great, but they only lasted 2 days before the front middle tread washed away to nothing. New race 2 design doesn't do that

Quick Reply: .2 RS Track-focused Alignment Specs...?