Advice ED

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice ED

Need some advice on planning trip.
So far fly to Paris for 3 days then to Zuffenhausen April 29 to pick up car spend the day Porsche tour and Benz museum. From here plan is squirrelly - originally wanted to drive thru Switzerland to Milan, then Monaco and back to Zuffenhausen to drop off car Sunday if possible. Was told not advisable to drive thru mountains because of snow, closures and narrow roads. 2nd was to go thru Munich onto Brenner Pass to Milan. Again told a lot of trucks and possible snow. 3rd option drive to Prague and work my way back to Zuffenhausen and fly out of Frankfort. 4th drive back to France and tour around Strasbourg and then into Germany for couple days before dropping car off and flying home. We don’t travel much and never been to Europe. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2018, 04:07 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadaredevil
So far fly to Paris for 3 days then to Zuffenhausen April 29 to pick up car spend the day Porsche tour and Benz museum. From here plan is squirrelly - originally wanted to drive thru Switzerland to Milan, then Monaco and back to Zuffenhausen to drop off car Sunday if possible. Was told not advisable to drive thru mountains because of snow, closures and narrow roads. 2nd was to go thru Munich onto Brenner Pass to Milan. Again told a lot of trucks and possible snow. 3rd option drive to Prague and work my way back to Zuffenhausen and fly out of Frankfort. 4th drive back to France and tour around Strasbourg and then into Germany for couple days before dropping car off and flying home. We don’t travel much and never been to Europe. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

We had the same issues with mountain passes possibly being closed when i took delivery in zuffenhausen oct 31st, flew into Frankfurt, then rerouted to Strasbourg, Colmar, Eguisheim (FR), then Triberg, Stuttgart, Munich, (DE) Salzburg, Hallstatt, Vienna (AUT), Prague (CZ) and back to Stuttgart via Wurzberg and Rothenburg. It was an epic adventure for a "back-up" plan and some great roads through the Black Forest and Alpine Valleys.

PM me if you want details on routes, hotels, restaurants, etc..

Old 12-22-2018, 04:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadaredevil

Thanks
Congratulation - ED is great. My advice is to lengthen your trip if possible. 6 days with the car is not long enough (you get 16 for free). And old towns like Prague may not be ideal for a GT car (I'd be tempted to park it somewhere safe outside of town (or country) and take public transport to city center. I drove into center of Amsterdam and I wish I had a bicycle instead (would have been faster and less stressful).

Otherwise if you are a track guy at all, don't miss opportunities for Nurburgring and other Euro tracks...
Old 12-22-2018, 04:31 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Congratulation - ED is great. My advice is to lengthen your trip if possible. 6 days with the car is not long enough (you get 16 for free). And old towns like Prague may not be ideal for a GT car (I'd be tempted to park it somewhere safe outside of town (or country) and take public transport to city center. I drove into center of Amsterdam and I wish I had a bicycle instead (would have been faster and less stressful).

Otherwise if you are a track guy at all, don't miss opportunities for Nurburgring and other Euro tracks...
+1000
Old 12-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Thanks for your advice, wife and I are gonna discuss what to do.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:20 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Not sure if you're aware, but there's a whole Rennlist forum devoted to European Delivery. (Under General discussions). Lots of good info in that section. I used it a great deal when planning my trip in 2016.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Originally Posted by mb1
Not sure if you're aware, but there's a whole Rennlist forum devoted to European Delivery. (Under General discussions). Lots of good info in that section. I used it a great deal when planning my trip in 2016.
I never pass the 991 gt3 rs section
Old 12-24-2018, 10:41 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,224 Likes on 480 Posts

I've done numerous EDs, do not pick up a GT car with plans to visit massive cities. Its a waste of time and a waste of driving pleasure. These cars need to be driven either on tracks or on twisty beautiful mountain roads. Some passes are open year round despite the weather. I typically play pretty loose with my plans and chase the weather. In this day its so easy to book hotels same day, so why drive into a mess? Enjoy. My RS ED in September was lucky, no rain, only a bit of snow on a mountain pass that changed my plans a bit, but was certainly fun.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Originally Posted by disden
I've done numerous EDs, do not pick up a GT car with plans to visit massive cities. Its a waste of time and a waste of driving pleasure. These cars need to be driven either on tracks or on twisty beautiful mountain roads. Some passes are open year round despite the weather. I typically play pretty loose with my plans and chase the weather. In this day its so easy to book hotels same day, so why drive into a mess? Enjoy. My RS ED in September was lucky, no rain, only a bit of snow on a mountain pass that changed my plans a bit, but was certainly fun.
i was just reading about everyone’s adventures in the ED section of general info. I agree I’m going to have to play it by ear in late April and early May. Definite on Paris April 26 -28 train to Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen 29th RS pick up and factory tour. Starting the 30th see where the wind blows. Drop off car May 6 and fly home from Frankfurt.

Quick Reply: Advice ED