Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF: full ppf vs front clip ppf and ceramic coating?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:08 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default PPF: full ppf vs front clip ppf and ceramic coating?

I am finalizing my build for a GT3 Touring, and am looking between the two options above. I am pretty set on jet black metallic, and want to keep it looking nice. It will only be used as a street car, and I'll drive it to work most days, and keep a cover on it when I do.

I've heard a wide range of lifespans for ppf. I have a car that has a full wrap, and it has been on probably for 9 years. it hasn't discolored at all or shown any signs of deterioration. I have ppf on the race car, and with track abuse, it was very tough to remove cleanly.

What are you guys seeing lifespan of ppf for a car that's not parked in sunlight much? I've heard between 5 and 10 years.

So, I'm trying to decide between doing ppf on the whole car to keep it scratch free when covered, keep rock chips off, and keep random scratches away, vs clearing the front clip, and doing a ceramic coat for the whole car. Someone made the case that ceramic coating would act as a stronger clear coat that would resist scratches for the non ppf areas and prevent swirl marks, that way you'd only have to clear the front clip. That way when the 5-7 year mark comes up, you're only having to replace the front clip of the car, and the ceramic coating would last long term.

What have you guys seen with your cars?
Old 12-22-2018, 01:20 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

JBM with full xpel and ceramic topper on the ppf. Can't imagine owning a black car without the full wrap. Just came back from a 500 mile road trip, rain, salt, all if it, just took 15 minutes and two mf towels to wipe down the car once I got back and car looks like it did before I left.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Typically, I’ve always did the front clip and no problems. However, I choose to get a blk RS and I don’t want to deal with the cleaning so I just did the entire car should have it back tomorrow. Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:41 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 775 Posts

I've PPFd 4 cars with full front end. Oldest was done in 2012, PPF still looks good though I think some swirls on the hood need to be polished out. However some PPF that was done on another car is yellowing, applied in early 2016 on a white car. All have had Cquartz Pro applied.

While I don't know how thick clear coat is I'm sure these coatings are super thin and really only help with light swirls and dirt from sticking until the coating wears off.

I am thinking of doing full PPF on the GT3 late winter. I'd hate to get chips on the GT3 and it'll see DE duty.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:46 PM
aaa335
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

My car is going to be white and I am leaning towards doing the entire car more for ease of cleaning than protection. I would feel much more comfortable wiping down the car with quick detail spray if ppf and ceramic coating was applied vs just paint. If you are going to do just partial ppf I would think the rear fenders and roof would also be areas to get protected. But if you do front clip, mirrors, roof , and rear fenders you are basically doing the entire car anyway...
Old 01-01-2019, 01:12 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
JBM with full xpel and ceramic topper on the ppf. Can't imagine owning a black car without the full wrap. Just came back from a 500 mile road trip, rain, salt, all if it, just took 15 minutes and two mf towels to wipe down the car once I got back and car looks like it did before I left.
+1 I also have a black car that I did a full wrap on....so easy to clean and looks just like it did the day it was done.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:19 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
+1 I also have a black car that I did a full wrap on....so easy to clean and looks just like it did the day it was done.
I would think the whole car nano coating would be more important than the wrap for easy quick cleaning.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:22 AM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

A ceramic coating or any type of coating protection product will not do anything to protect against scratches or swirls. Some coating companies make claims about scratch resistance but it's very marginal protection at best. If you're looking for maximum protection, you're gonna need to PPF those areas too.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

I’m one of those **** keep car clean guys and after 2 black cars swore to never get one again as those cars owned me! Both only the front and rockers being PPF’d. Wash after every drive etc was a real pain. Swirls galore!

Well, I’ve done it again and gone with black for my incoming RS. This time its going to be fully PPF’d and then ceramic coated. Sean had it done on his black GT2 and the cleaning after a drive was so manageable. Quick wash and rinse and hey presto and shiny black car with no swirls! I’m convinced its the way to go for a black car. No issue.

As has been stated by others, ceramic coating without PPF will not offer the road debris protection that one needs.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:28 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3touring
A ceramic coating or any type of coating protection product will not do anything to protect against scratches or swirls. Some coating companies make claims about scratch resistance but it's very marginal protection at best. If you're looking for maximum protection, you're gonna need to PPF those areas too.
+1...well-said.

from what you’ve described OP, you’re a good candidate for full ppf. Some of the ore-qualifiers I ask a client is:

1. Purchase vs. lease - long-term purchase will see the dividends of a Full PPF
2. Color of vehicle - darker ones and solid colors
harder to maintain, so ppf helps a lot
3. If you got a dent or chip on a any panel, and had to repaint, would you have a bad day? - if answer is yes, then full ppf

so, you get the idea. Also, coatings over ppf help a lot in maintaining the film and making it easier to clean. Coating alone will DEFINITELY help make maintenance easier, but it won’t mean you won’t have minor swirls and scratches that will need to be polished out.

With ppf, if swirls and scratches are in the first .5 miles, per xpel spec, they will heal.

make sure you research the installer for a Full PPF, any ppf to be honest, and make sure they are familiar wirh YOUR car an dhave done many. Not all installations are equal and you can’t sumply call around and get the best price. great it as you would finding a good dentist or cpa...the best guys that keep coming up during your search will end up using the best products and also remember the post-installation customer care. You want an installer that will be with you long after the install as the film will need to be kept up and nano coatings also need refreshing.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

As usual, I agree with Moe. Point #3 is worth noting.

I prefer to put things in their simplest form for digesting and #3 does a pretty good job at that. Another way I put it is:

If the idea of a rock chip seriously does not bother you, do not get PPF. If impact marks bother you, get as much as you feel comfortable/is practical dropping the coin on.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had same internal debate. I went with full edgeless ppf on the RS. I like the way it looks over the decals and have more peace of mind driving it!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeGT3
I had same internal debate. I went with full edgeless ppf on the RS. I like the way it looks over the decals and have more peace of mind driving it!
Lee, without starting a whole new debate on this forum about ppf edgeless (including dismantling and reassembly of bits) vs to edge install, I lean towards the latter. Just a mental thing with me to leave things as they are from the factory. I'm sure the pro's here are more than capable of immaculate reassembly and installs but its just a personal thing.

Re: over the decals... after seeing the effect on Maverick's car, I like it!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:09 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My white RS has Xpel Ultimate, entire car. No nano coating, no wash issue. Each wash detailing spray helps keep a "slick" finish, making the next wash easy. FWIW, white cars are the worst for PPF as with time they all yellow to a degree. Black would be the best color for PPF as the yellowing effect would be unnoticed. I did my homework and concluded nano coating over PPF is a waste of money. Use detail spray each wash. Lastly I use rubbing alcohol on PPF to remove any stubborn stains, it works.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:11 PM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haku
Lee, without starting a whole new debate on this forum about ppf edgeless (including dismantling and reassembly of bits) vs to edge install, I lean towards the latter. Just a mental thing with me to leave things as they are from the factory. I'm sure the pro's here are more than capable of immaculate reassembly and installs but its just a personal thing.

Re: over the decals... after seeing the effect on Maverick's car, I like it!
i just closed my eyes and mind during the work lol! I was worried about it but have seen examples done by same guy. Ryan at DDW is even more ocd than me and said he’s the best he is the best at edgeless ppf.

Quick Reply: PPF: full ppf vs front clip ppf and ceramic coating?