Sponsored by:

Does the GT3 have soul?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin in Scottsdale
I got to hammer a TTS a few weeks ago late at night on a deserted road. Holy crap the speed on that car is ludicrous. All four wheels were luckily grabbing the road, or the back end would have broken free from all the torque. The car is amazing, but felt a bit bloated and too refined for me.
That’s about how I felt too. And if you spend around $20k on upgrades (I didn’t) it gets a whole lot faster still. Alongside a race car the TT’s compromises made sense to me. The turbo moves and carries the weight well but it feels a bit husky like a football player, not athletic like a sprinter. I live at altitude where a turbocharged engine is more attractive. In the winter it was just wild how well the car could grip and yet you could get it to slide around in S+ mode. In the summer though the speed just builds too quickly to hammer the car on the street for any length of time. And the car would often start to catch air before the traction limits were an issue... as you can guess, I became a bit worried about my drivers license. We had a financial setback so I let it go and got something with a lot less power. Probably the right call for now.

Anyway I’ve got a long term deposit on a GT3. By the time my name comes up it will be affordable again so I’m thinking why not just try to experience all of the great toys and enjoy each for what it is. But I’ll go to the PEC and take one for a spin before writing the big check. That TT/GT3 pairing they offer sounds like it would be a good way to go.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 31 Posts

Personally I find this “soul” talk in a car inane.

Cars are objects what matters is your response to using that object. There are a million variables at play in how you respond to something like a gt3. Is it a memory of being with your dad, the feeling of hitting a perfect shift at 9k, the weight of a perfectly balanced steering wheel, driving on a track on and getting an endorphin high, or a long dark road at 2am and zero ****s given.

This isn’t the car but your response to the car. With a gt3, you should ask, do have a soul?
Old 11-27-2018, 08:45 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche518
Personally I find this “soul” talk in a car inane. Cars are objects what matters is your response to using that object. There are a million variables at play in how you respond to something like a gt3. Is it a memory of being with your dad, the feeling of hitting a perfect shift at 9k, the weight of a perfectly balanced steering wheel, driving on a track on a track getting an endorphins high, or a long dark road at 2am and zero ****s given. This isn’t the car but your response to the car. With a gt3, you should ask, do have a soul?
You have a point, but since a lot of folks come to the same conclusions about a lot of different cars I think the issue is more in the inadequacy of English and each of us to accurately communicate about the intangibles that create a sense of passion and an emotionally involving experience when driving. Trying to create useful dry metrics to encapsulate the universal elements of passion and emotion in driving a car is a bit tricky. Yet it’s also at the core of enjoying cars.

When you think about it, this is precisely the kind of thing we should be the best at discussing! Guess depreciation and paint color is easier to express...
Old 11-27-2018, 09:25 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No right or wrong with rear bypasses- all Personal preference

SW is very good- It takes volume from a 6 to an 8 but retains same stock tone/sound. Some love this.

GRP / GMG - Takes the Volume from a 6 to a 9.5( Just the right amt of volume- would want no more/no less). Also slightly changes tone to more bass and less shriek - more German sounding in my opinion, which I love. I also disconnected the Valves so that they are always open. Love it- no more annoying transitions which I actually could not tolerate for one second(drove me nuts). More linear sounding/feeling now for certain.
I just put the GRP on mine and it's eerily quiet below 4k RPM, so I'm thinking about just disconnecting the valves as well. I hate the transition like you do. Are there any downsides to plugging the valves, like drone at any RPM?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I just put the GRP on mine and it's eerily quiet below 4k RPM, so I'm thinking about just disconnecting the valves as well. I hate the transition like you do. Are there any downsides to plugging the valves, like drone at any RPM?
i would say there is just some slight drone only between 1000-2000 but does not bother me. The reward certainly outweighs this and would have it no other way.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No right or wrong with rear bypasses- all Personal preference

SW is very good- It takes volume from a 6 to an 8 but retains same stock tone/sound. Some love this.

GRP / GMG - Takes the Volume from a 6 to a 9.5( Just the right amt of volume- would want no more/no less). Also slightly changes tone to more bass and less shriek - more German sounding in my opinion, which I love. I also disconnected the Valves so that they are always open. Love it- no more annoying transitions which I actually could not tolerate for one second(drove me nuts). More linear sounding/feeling now for certain.
I have no experience with SW or others but just picked up my new 2018 GT3 last week with a dealer installed GMG rear bypass. The first time you bury the pedal on a freeway on ramp you just cannot believe the sound. As close to F1 as it gets in a road car (IMHO). I love the 458 and 458 Speciale "wail" but there is something just absolutely sinister about the 991.2 GT3 with GMG exhaust. It will make you want to be a hooligan. You also find your self searching for high speed tunnels (we have a few here) so you can hear that sound in 3D (practically Sens-a-round ... if you can remember that movie sound technology from the war movie "Midway"). It is hooliganism at it's finest.

With regard to the below 4k "quietness". It isn't really all that quiet and, if you have neighbors (most people do), you may want to consider not waking the entire block when firing up your car in the morning. Well, maybe you do. Again, this car with this exhaust setup is turning me into a middle aged hooligan.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:06 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0to60
GMG
A former Porsche factory race guy told me the GMG is extremely well made -- the best welds and fitment in the business. I do not want to degrade SW or others, but the GMG photo above looks factory to me.

Loving the sound of mine. Phenomenal.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Wonder what factory race guy would say about quality of Akrapovic?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx

Very very nice.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:36 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche518
Personally I find this “soul” talk in a car inane. Cars are objects what matters is your response to using that object. There are a million variables at play in how you respond to something like a gt3. Is it a memory of being with your dad, the feeling of hitting a perfect shift at 9k, the weight of a perfectly balanced steering wheel, driving on a track on and getting an endorphin high, or a long dark road at 2am and zero ****s given.

This isn’t the car but your response to the car. With a gt3, you should ask, do have a soul?
I agree with you to a point. Of course the car does not have soul, but the character of the car (handling, sound, engine, looks, etc.) gives it personality. Yeah, we call it soul and maybe that isn't the right word, but whatever that word should be some cars just seem to have a lot more character than others. I get in a garden variety 911 and honestly it does nothing for me. The car doesn't seem to have any character. I can say the same thing about the Turbo. Fast as hell but it doesn't seem to be anything more than a machine to me. But the GT3 has it going on. It looks the business. Sounds awesome. It is raw, capable, and feels like a race car. And it makes noises and rattles that are so unique to it. So sure, those are all features and it is just a machine, but the car has character that we probably incorrectly call soul. Whatever you call it, the GT3 is different from most cars out there, and in a good way. But I hear you!
Old 11-29-2018, 12:15 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

The e30 M3 had soul... the M4? Not even close. The GT3 is one of the best of the modern cars, in terms of soul. It reeks of soul.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:46 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin in Scottsdale
Strange question, but it's a thing for me. Looking at purchasing this car but I have not driven one. I've had cars in the past that have soul and some that don't. My first car that had soul was a 1972 Fiat Spider. It vibrated, gauges were jumpy, raspy exhaust, smelled like burning oil and cracked leather (actually did not break down that much haha), but man did it have soul. You just felt alive in that car. It communicated and you felt like you were apart of it. I had an '87 Carrera - that car had soul. I had a BMW M4, that thing was a rocket and made you feel alive driving it to the limits. I currently have a 2015 GTS. Drive it like it's meant to be, a few autocrosses, couple of track days. However, not much soul for me. I don't know what it is, it just feels . . . ok. In case someone chimes in about PDK v. Manual, the GTS is PDK but my M4 was dual clutch also. What I really liked about the M4 was instant torque and power. The wind up of rpm's in the GTS sounds great, but you're traveling pretty fast to get there. Am I spoiled with the rush of instant torque in a dual turbo M4? Not sure. It's also not about speed, I also have a Range Rover Sport with the supercharged V8 - that boat definitely has soul - just makes you smile and sounds like a muscle car.

The point of this post is that the GT3 is a big step up financially. Is it really that good? That much better than a GTS? Does it just make you grin ear to ear when you drive it? Does it have soul or do we just say it does because there is a little group think here and we want to have affirmation of our purchase?

Thanks for comments.
I currently have a 2013 M3 as daily, a M4 GTS, a 991.1 GT3, a 991.2 GT3 RS, and some "Red Fiats!!" I absolutely love the M3 as a daily car, much better than the turbo M4 GTS. I have had turbo cars before as well; but I am not a fan of turbo engine non-linear response...to me there is no "soul" there vs the GT3, which is just out of this world good; the linear NA engine, the sound, the PDK transmission, the interior layout, the fantastic look of the exterior (in some ways the GT3 is more elegant to me than the GT3 RS)...you won't be disappointed - guaranteed!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx

So you are running side delyes straight to a rear bypass??

​​​​​​​I would like to hear how that sounds
Old 11-29-2018, 05:55 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My redmax 8500 leaf blower has more soul than F80 M3. I swear that I have not found a sports car as soulless as I have F80 M3. And I actually truly find that commercial leaf blower amazing to run. Yes I find leaf blowing fun and generally therapeutic.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:08 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by strettyend
This and a 458 are the best cars I've driven and I wouldn't trade a GT3 for a 458 (I would / am trying to have both
Agree.....nothing like a V8 screaming behind you.....only car I've ever owned that did it better was the Scud....

Quick Reply: Does the GT3 have soul?