Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the GT3 have soul?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

GT3/RS = Soul- not lacking in this Category.

The .2 Manual has much more Soul than did my .1 PDK. It may be more refined in how it drives( like it better) but like the exhaust note in the .2 over the .1 especially with the GRP Bypass. Had the SW on the .1
Old 11-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
GT3/RS = Soul- not lacking in this Category.

The .2 Manual has much more Soul than did my .1 PDK. It may be more refined in how it drives( like it better) but like the exhaust note in the .2 over the .1 especially with the GRP Bypass. Had the SW on the .1
I'm leaning towards the GRP/BBi Bypass for my .2 ... any concerns? Why didn't you go with SW for the .2?
Old 11-27-2018, 01:53 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
I'm leaning towards the GRP/BBi Bypass for my .2 ... any concerns? Why didn't you go with SW for the .2?
GMG
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
GMG
Hmmm.... just checked some youtube videos and sounds wicked, on par w/ BBi ... maybe I will start a new thread ... thank you for sharing!
Old 11-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It checks the boxes for soul but IMO is very clinical.

Perhaps I need more time with the GT3.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:27 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

Never heard of the M4 having soul from any reviews.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:21 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

This is a hang up question for me as well, although it would be a while before I’d get one. I plan to get out to the PEC in LA and test drive one that way before I buy one. The other issue is I have a race car and a GT3 might be wasted on the street.

I had a 991.2 TT. I wouldn’t say it had soul but it had character and was a great DD. My earlier 997.2 GTS (MT) had more soul although all the metrics and creature comforts showed the TT to be a far better car. The TT was great fun when accelerating or driving too fast and also simply boring at 35mph or 55mph. The limits were just too high. Huge fun in the winter on snow tires. Also not great on track as it is very fast but not as visceral or emotionally involving as I’d have wanted. (Trade offs that made it a great DD!) The 997 GTS was a bit more involving and interesting at sensible speeds. The limits were much lower obviously and the manual transmission definitely helped involvement. Lots of trade-offs though - when driving quite aggressively PDK is lightning quick, really keeps the engine where it should be, and can be quite exciting. But in moderate settings a manual is more involving...

My current fun cars are a SPB project for the track and an Alfa 4C spider. SPBs are pretty well known around here. The Alfa has soul and gobs of character and makes for some big grins. Limits aren’t crazy high so it’s suitable for street fun and it’s also relatively cheap. Tries to spin sometimes but it’s easy to catch so it’s almost a cat and mouse game. I don’t drive it as often as I drove the 911 though as it’s only a touch more practical than a motorcycle.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

It’s got so much soul you’ll forget that the engine’s not cooled by air.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:12 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin in Scottsdale
Strange question, but it's a thing for me. Looking at purchasing this car but I have not driven one. I've had cars in the past that have soul and some that don't. My first car that had soul was a 1972 Fiat Spider. It vibrated, gauges were jumpy, raspy exhaust, smelled like burning oil and cracked leather (actually did not break down that much haha), but man did it have soul. You just felt alive in that car. It communicated and you felt like you were apart of it. I had an '87 Carrera - that car had soul. I had a BMW M4, that thing was a rocket and made you feel alive driving it to the limits. I currently have a 2015 GTS. Drive it like it's meant to be, a few autocrosses, couple of track days. However, not much soul for me. I don't know what it is, it just feels . . . ok. In case someone chimes in about PDK v. Manual, the GTS is PDK but my M4 was dual clutch also. What I really liked about the M4 was instant torque and power. The wind up of rpm's in the GTS sounds great, but you're traveling pretty fast to get there. Am I spoiled with the rush of instant torque in a dual turbo M4? Not sure. It's also not about speed, I also have a Range Rover Sport with the supercharged V8 - that boat definitely has soul - just makes you smile and sounds like a muscle car.

The point of this post is that the GT3 is a big step up financially. Is it really that good? That much better than a GTS? Does it just make you grin ear to ear when you drive it? Does it have soul or do we just say it does because there is a little group think here and we want to have affirmation of our purchase?

Thanks for comments.
If you are looking for a DD that is fun to drive and makes you excited to take a drive anywhere, the GT3 may not be the car - too intense for the street once it hits its sweet spot, manual or PDK, especially if you like to drive fast and that will equal tickets - low end torque is okay.......it has soul though, no doubt....
if fun one day a week car or for track only, buy it.....

I traded mine for a TTS for more usability and the low end torque......I have no regrets, because I pop into sport plus mode and its a monster............
Old 11-27-2018, 07:21 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

An M4 isn't even in the same galaxy in terms of soul. Turn the key and you hear and feel the engine chatter, the idle is rough and uneven like it just wants to GO, you can feel the drivetrain thrum through the PDK lever when you put your hand on it. And that's even before you take off. When it's cold you hear the transmission clank and rattle under low speed and it sounds like a racecar. Then you get on the gas and 7-9k rpm is the most glorious thing you've heard and then bang it into the next gear and its the same thing all over again. Oh it also doesn't make fake farting noises like the M4 on up or downshifts. You just really need to drive one.

This and a 458 are the best cars I've driven and I wouldn't trade a GT3 for a 458 (I would / am trying to have both
Old 11-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
No right or wrong with rear bypasses- all Personal preference

SW is very good- It takes volume from a 6 to an 8 but retains same stock tone/sound. Some love this.

GRP / GMG - Takes the Volume from a 6 to a 9.5( Just the right amt of volume- would want no more/no less). Also slightly changes tone to more bass and less shriek - more German sounding in my opinion, which I love. I also disconnected the Valves so that they are always open. Love it- no more annoying transitions which I actually could not tolerate for one second(drove me nuts). More linear sounding/feeling now for certain.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Kevin in Scottsdale
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
This is a hang up question for me as well, although it would be a while before I’d get one. I plan to get out to the PEC in LA and test drive one that way before I buy one. The other issue is I have a race car and a GT3 might be wasted on the street.

I had a 991.2 TT. I wouldn’t say it had soul but it had character and was a great DD. My earlier 997.2 GTS (MT) had more soul although all the metrics and creature comforts showed the TT to be a far better car. The TT was great fun when accelerating or driving too fast and also simply boring at 35mph or 55mph. The limits were just too high. Huge fun in the winter on snow tires. Also not great on track as it is very fast but not as visceral or emotionally involving as I’d have wanted. (Trade offs that made it a great DD!) The 997 GTS was a bit more involving and interesting at sensible speeds. The limits were much lower obviously and the manual transmission definitely helped involvement. Lots of trade-offs though - when driving quite aggressively PDK is lightning quick, really keeps the engine where it should be, and can be quite exciting. But in moderate settings a manual is more involving...

My current fun cars are a SPB project for the track and an Alfa 4C spider. SPBs are pretty well known around here. The Alfa has soul and gobs of character and makes for some big grins. Limits aren’t crazy high so it’s suitable for street fun and it’s also relatively cheap. Tries to spin sometimes but it’s easy to catch so it’s almost a cat and mouse game. I don’t drive it as often as I drove the 911 though as it’s only a touch more practical than a motorcycle.
I got to hammer a TTS a few weeks ago late at night on a deserted road. Holy crap the speed on that car is ludicrous. All four wheels were luckily grabbing the road, or the back end would have broken free from all the torque. The car is amazing, but felt a bit bloated and too refined for me.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:39 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Anyone have the Fabspeed valved side bypass pipes? How do they sound? I have the Porsche Motorsports side bypass pipes on my 997.1 GT3RS and they sound terrific.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Kevin in Scottsdale
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by strettyend
An M4 isn't even in the same galaxy in terms of soul. Turn the key and you hear and feel the engine chatter, the idle is rough and uneven like it just wants to GO, you can feel the drivetrain thrum through the PDK lever when you put your hand on it. And that's even before you take off. When it's cold you hear the transmission clank and rattle under low speed and it sounds like a racecar. Then you get on the gas and 7-9k rpm is the most glorious thing you've heard and then bang it into the next gear and its the same thing all over again. Oh it also doesn't make fake farting noises like the M4 on up or downshifts. You just really need to drive one.

This and a 458 are the best cars I've driven and I wouldn't trade a GT3 for a 458 (I would / am trying to have both
Hahaha! Fake farting noises, yes you're right!
Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
GT cars have soul, but can only be appreciated at speeds which are highly illegal and dangerous on public roads. Drive them on the track and they are pure magic and soul stirring; around town, meh...not so much, no different then any other NA Porsche, except more uncomfortable!
I agree with the above quote, although I did not find the firmer ride to be a problem. My 991.1 had PDK and was a bit boring around town. I think a manual transmission would have made it more soul stirring around town. GT cars have a whole different feel and attitude than the other 911's so driving one to experience the difference is important.

Quick Reply: Does the GT3 have soul?