Originally Posted by Nacelle
No... The driver has soul, the GT3 sets if free
Ahh... that’s a good one.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin in Scottsdale
Great response with my comparison cars too! Is your GT3 manual or PDK? Is the low end torque comparable to the power delivered by the M3? I definitely will find an opportunity to drive one before I make the final commitment. Thanks for the comments. Very helpful.
Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Low end torque is not the the GT3 strong point. If that is a 'must have' perhaps this isn't a good match
Originally Posted by fester
If you like m4 with turbos with low end grunt around town, may be turbo/turbo S is the right choice for you
Define "soul". It can be different for everybody, from devilish to angelic. Given your previous comment, I think the two responses are spot on. Even your GTS likely has more low end grunt for day to day driving, and thus may have more soul for you.

The GT3 soul for me starts with the gut impact upon seeing the car, gets fleshed out when it screams at 7k-9k rpm on straights and canyon runs, and finally turn sublime for its exceptional performance on the track.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackmac

Above pic was my previous M4. Agree with RL members, if you enjoy the "turbo" feel/low end torque, then GT3 is not for you. You need to keep the Rev range at least above 4k to really wake up the beast, but everything else (steering/engine/braking) is exceptional and beyond expectations.
Jack
This. I had an M4 DCT which I DD and tracked. Good looking car, very powerful, but I never liked it, either on street or track. Too much of an on/off switch w/ the massive turbo power. For ME, that car had no soul, but that's subjective.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

The GT3 provides an exquisite driving experience that creates a constant desire to get behind the wheel again! Is it soulful? You bet, its not the sounds, the grip, the handling, the sublimely mated engine & transmission, the steering feel, the balance or the responsive/reactive throttle and brakes. It's all of the above, that creates an amazing blend that makes for an incredible and SOULFUL driving experience!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:34 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thread is pointless. Drive one and decide for yourself. How the hell is anyone else supposed to convey to you the essence of the driving experience? Kind of like test driving a car by playing an X-box. Sorry, no offense, but I hate these threads.....How serious are you if you haven't driven one?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by strettyend
Interesting to hear this perspective. The rough idle and clanking in the transmission is what I love about my .1. Have also heard people say the sound in the .1 is more high pitched than the .2. Will need to drive a .2 to see for myself...
Many people have commented on this. I drove a .2 once for a short time. The .2 was smoother. Not dramatic, but it just felt a bit more refined. Whether that is good or bad is totally subjective. I guess some would consider that rawness of the .1 as having more soul, but i seriously doubt owners of the .2 feel their cars lack soul.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:00 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Many people have commented on this. I drove a .2 once for a short time. The .2 was smoother. Not dramatic, but it just felt a bit more refined. Whether that is good or bad is totally subjective. I guess some would consider that rawness of the .1 as having more soul, but i seriously doubt owners of the .2 feel their cars lack soul.
Having owned both cars, the main difference seems to be that the idling "rocks in a washing machine" noise is gone in the 991.2, but otherwise it's pretty raw and clunky like the 991.1. I think the 991.2 is a huge improvement over the 991.1, and has a lot more usable torque. The 991.1 always felt a little dead down low to me, but I really don't have that complaint about the 991.2. I was very pleasantly surprised at how strongly it pulls from very low revs, and it makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

The 991.2 GT3 with 6MT is the DEFINITION of soul. If you have to ask, it's not for you.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:02 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fibredog
If you are considering PDK, I personally feel the .1 GT3 has more soul than the .2 GT3. When sitting at idle, the rumble, clanking, etc... made the .1 feel raw and unrefined, in a good way. As much as I love the MT in my .2, it feels a bit more subdued to me, plus the clutch is too light. My 991 2RS feels like it has more soul than the .2 GT3, even with the PDK vs. MT. I do love the 4.0 NA engine paired up with the 6-speed, but the car lost some of its rawness going from the .1 to .2. I'm sure most don't share my opinion, so I suggest you jump in a few variants and decide for yourself.
I've heard similar complaints about not feeling totally excited about the 991.2 MT, but coming from a 991.1 PDK to a 991.2 PDK, everything is an improvement and I would never go back to a 991.1.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:10 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

My Slate Grey manual oozes soul. Highly subjective of course but design, engine soundtrack, road feel, heritage and even the buckets and color are contributing factors. My overall 'soul' rating: 8/10.

I'd give it a perfect score if the steering weren't numb AF, and if the gearbox had a more precise, mechanical feel.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 11-27-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
My Slate Grey manual oozes soul.
I bet it does!
Old 11-27-2018, 01:26 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Couldn't agree more with fibredog's comments above. The 991.2 GT3 needs to be more raw. It's like we have these non-folding bucket seats in the US but the experience is somehow muted. Needs more clanking and rumbling. I plan many minor modifications including Numeric short-shifter, Euro alignment, DSC module and perhaps something with the exhaust to give mine a bit more soul.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=What I really liked about the M4 was instant torque and power. The wind up of rpm's in the GTS sounds great, but you're traveling pretty fast to get there. Am I spoiled with the rush of instant torque in a dual turbo M4? Not sure. It's also not about speed, I also have a Range Rover Sport with the supercharged V8 - that boat definitely has soul - just makes you smile and sounds like a muscle car.

The point of this post is that the GT3 is a big step up financially. Is it really that good? That much better than a GTS? Does it just make you grin ear to ear when you drive it? Does it have soul or do we just say it does because there is a little group think here and we want to have affirmation of our purchase?

Thanks for comments.[/QUOTE]

So I understand you want to compare the diff of 2015 GTS to 2018 GT3? Torque wise is much better than the 2015 GTS, which doesn't comes with turbo, only latest GTS does. Now I own a BMW 1M that comes with twin turbo n54 engine with a lot of torque down low, but the GT3 with little lower weight advantage has similar torq as well, and down low also, rattles more than 1M, and a lot of FUN, if you like the M4, I believe is slightly softer than the GT3, you should like the GT3.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Thread is pointless. Drive one and decide for yourself. How the hell is anyone else supposed to convey to you the essence of the driving experience? Kind of like test driving a car by playing an X-box. Sorry, no offense, but I hate these threads.....How serious are you if you haven't driven one?
To be fair. It's not like one can walk into a dealership and ask for a test drive . And if one doesnt have a good friend with one to get that taste, you are going in on the acquisition without personal experience.

My first Porsche was a 997.2 GT3. Based on magazine/video reviews I was prepared to buy without seattime. But miraculously, Raj let me test drive it when I showed up at his doorstep, not even cash in hand. I was smitten, once I got above 5000rpm.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

This GT3 is the pinnacle of German engineering. I need no excuses to take it out of the garage... and I look forward to drive it. Not my daily... but one of the best toys money can buy. It's in a whole different level ....

There are plenty of local options - Porsche North Scottsdale currently has two .2 GT3s for sale (look for David Schnirh, Porsche Chandler seems to have three .3 GT3s and Ryan Woo, from DDW, who helped me with mine has at least one delivery miles red manual GT3 available. Different price points and mileages... good timing for a local buy in Scottsdale.

I may be going to C&C this Saturday and I'll be happy to let you check out my GT3... look me up.

Quick Reply: Does the GT3 have soul?