Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Hard to enjoy exotic toys!

 
Old 11-21-2018, 03:44 AM
  #46  
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Drifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 3,121
Default

Originally Posted by ryantt View Post
Move to the Bay Area (or LA)... tons of 911s and they are pedestrian. The “normies” can’t tell a GT3 RS from a base Carrera. You can go wherever you want and park where ever you want without fear. It’s the min reason I sold my Ferrari and threw all in with Porsche. Very liberating.
Great point. 95% of the people walking by your GT3 won’t know how hugely it differs from regular Carreas which are all over California. It is much more liberating to drive a Porsche vs a Ferrari.

IMO, With the 991 generation, the RS now is starting to look extreme enough that it gets noticeably more attention than a GT3.
Drifting is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 AM
  #47  
white6speed
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
white6speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 926
Default

This series of posts underscores why the T is such a great car. I love my GT3 but have some anxiety driving it but little with T.
white6speed is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 AM
  #48  
Mussl Kar
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mussl Kar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SE Mass
Posts: 2,977
Default

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
Depends on what % of your net worth you paid for the car...

<2%: you won’t care about any of those things including totaling it at the track
10-20%: depreciation, miles, and chips will bother you
>50%: a fly pooping on it will bother you

Has nothing to do with the car being “exotic” or not.
That make some sense I guess. Underlying reason why I like multiple cars in my garage. Nothing like having a 1000 HP Porsche in my garage. Yeah, it got 8 wheels too.
Mussl Kar is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM
  #49  
shapiroeric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
shapiroeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Longmeadow, MA
Posts: 2,587
Default

I'll take the bait....none of those issues bother me one bit....in fact, I don't own more cars because I CAN'T put the miles on them that would make it worthwhile....
shapiroeric is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 09:55 AM
  #50  
ByeEnzo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ByeEnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
everyone has good reasons above.
I used to be sensitive.
now I think of it this way....
20 years ago, I was in way better shape ( I am in pretty good shape now). I don't need warmup , cool down, or stretching,. out the gate, literally any sport, I am at 99%. nothing hurts. played tennis 6 hours a day pretty much everyday. ran miles and miles in morning. no a prob...

today... after a ride, knee makes STRANGE AND SCARY noises.
lift a few pounds, need to have Xray done on shoulders
walks into garage ... more like fell into garage and giant bursa on elbow.

so what's the point of all this?

if I am not lasting forever, certainly I dont want my toys to last forever.
I want to USE THEM UP before I enter the casket.

if my legs are full of scars from cycling wrecks and lower back hurting from other sports. then it's ok that my cars have a few chips and blemishes. bc In my mind, NO CAR is more exotic than myself.

this line of thinking freed me up.
friends who rode with me will tell you that I don't baby the 4.0 and CGT, hearing the lip scarp or bounce off the pavement is routine pleasure. that said, I do maintain them well. they work work and rest well.

give that a try. you may be surprised.
I ran marathons in college and med school, then bike raced for several years at a very high level training 8000 miles a year....while maintaining a busy surgery practice. The older you get...the faster you were. Now my back's stiff, etc. A 3 mile jog or walk is enough.
But, it's always a special occasion to hop (slowly and carefully) into one of these machines to go for a ride!

ByeEnzo is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 10:57 AM
  #51  
lfish
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
lfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye State
Posts: 174
Default

I am always impressed by the accumulated wisdom here, especially the last two posts. Thank you for this...best wishes for a Healthy Happy Thanksgiving.
lfish is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 AM
  #52  
RobbieRob
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RobbieRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PA Suburbs
Posts: 447
Default

Zero worries with any of the OP's list, I ONLY worry about a strippers high heel tearing my leather seat or dash.
RobbieRob is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 11:38 AM
  #53  
no401k
User
 
no401k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by n d View Post
Is it me or does everyone that drive Exotic cars have the same fear
*Depreciation
*driving To many miles
*rock chips
*scared to park in a parking lot
This depends...being OCD i have these issues for any car that cost over 40k. That's why i have a 6k car for daily and reserve sports / exotics for the fun stuff
no401k is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 12:08 PM
  #54  
Palting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Palting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 4,587
Default

I like to drive the GT3. I take it to the office, to the grocery, to have a haircut...heck, I take it to the track often. Too many miles..., yeah, I think about it, then I read Roby's blog and fell better. Rock chips....yeah, I feel bad when I get any, but since I am keeping the car "forever", I plan to repaint it in several years if it gets bad enough. Parking.....I suppose that's one that makes me pause, but only for a moment. Depreciation......as I plan to keep the car "forever" and drive it all the time, that's that never comes into the picture.
Palting is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 12:18 PM
  #55  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,267
Default

Originally Posted by Palting View Post
I like to drive the GT3. I take it to the office, to the grocery, to have a haircut...heck, I take it to the track often. Too many miles..., yeah, I think about it, then I read Roby's blog and fell better. Rock chips....yeah, I feel bad when I get any, but since I am keeping the car "forever", I plan to repaint it in several years if it gets bad enough. Parking.....I suppose that's one that makes me pause, but only for a moment. Depreciation......as I plan to keep the car "forever" and drive it all the time, that's that never comes into the picture.
We can't take the cars or the money with us, buddy!
robmypro is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 12:42 PM
  #56  
J.Ho
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
J.Ho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 346
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
everyone has good reasons above.
I used to be sensitive.
now I think of it this way....
20 years ago, I was in way better shape ( I am in pretty good shape now). I don't need warmup , cool down, or stretching,. out the gate, literally any sport, I am at 99%. nothing hurts. played tennis 6 hours a day pretty much everyday. ran miles and miles in morning. no a prob...

today... after a ride, knee makes STRANGE AND SCARY noises.
lift a few pounds, need to have Xray done on shoulders
walks into garage ... more like fell into garage and giant bursa on elbow.

so what's the point of all this?

if I am not lasting forever, certainly I dont want my toys to last forever.
I want to USE THEM UP before I enter the casket.

if my legs are full of scars from cycling wrecks and lower back hurting from other sports. then it's ok that my cars have a few chips and blemishes. bc In my mind, NO CAR is more exotic than myself.

this line of thinking freed me up.
friends who rode with me will tell you that I don't baby the 4.0 and CGT, hearing the lip scarp or bounce off the pavement is routine pleasure. that said, I do maintain them well. they work work and rest well.

give that a try. you may be surprised.

Wisdom
J.Ho is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM
  #57  
parkerfe
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 577
Default

My GT3 is my daily driver, including my current 50 mile round trip daily commute to/from work. I track it 3-4 times year as well. My prior Turbo-S, GT4, four other 911s and several Ferrari's were all my DD too. What good is any car if your afraid to drive it?. Sure, I may lose money in depreciation due to high miles, but I have more smiles per mile that garage queen owners do!
parkerfe is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM
  #58  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,267
Default

Originally Posted by J.Ho View Post
Wisdom
This really is wisdom. A car with miles and a few blemishes is a car that was enjoyed to the fullest. The ultimate luxury!
robmypro is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 01:29 PM
  #59  
strettyend
User
 
strettyend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 265
Default

Being the richest guy in the graveyard is overrated. Not to be morbid but the amount of time between when we are able to afford these cars and when our body breaks down to the point we can't drive them is what, 40-50 years, max? That's but a twinkling of an eye. Just live in the moment and enjoy the experience. Most of us are lucky and provided you have a plan for savings and retirement the marginal $50 grand you will lose in depreciation isn't going to alter your life to the downside. But the experience of owning and using these cars, for car us car guys, can definitely make our life experience on this rock all the more "richer."
strettyend is offline  
Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 PM
  #60  
C5driver
User
 
C5driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: 33.6189° N, 117.9289° W
Posts: 778
Default

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
Depends on what % of your net worth you paid for the car...

<2%: you won’t care about any of those things including totaling it at the track
10-20%: depreciation, miles, and chips will bother you
>50%: a fly pooping on it will bother you

Has nothing to do with the car being “exotic” or not.
Exactly. It's all a matter of perspective, but that being said, I would argue that most of us have "been there" before, which is why I don't understand the need for people to denigrate the OP.

We've all had that feeling, be it with cars, camera equipment, watches, or any first time high value item. 50% of a college student's net worth may not be what's in your wallet at any one time, but we've all been college students with a new laptop or a new iPhone.
C5driver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: