Sponsored by:

Folding buckets proxy in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:38 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Folding buckets proxy in Europe

Looking into a pair of folding buckets for my 991.2 GT3–of course, these are not available in the U.S.

I’ve reached out to Carnewal, who can sell me the seats, but only with black stitching on black leather. I need Platinum Silver stitching to match my interior. Reupholstering, from what I gather, is not sensible costwise.

Anyone know how I can source these from Europe? I imagine one way is to find a proxy who has a GT3 with folding buckets in the right leather/stitching combo and then order a new pair off their VIN. However, open to any other suggestions.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:02 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Good idea, as any wing GT3 991.2 should have silver stitch, but after springing for the Miami blue pass throughs on the LWB, why the switch?
Old 11-11-2018, 03:23 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Get the backets and order from Porsche OEM leather and stitching you need as spare parts.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:13 AM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

GT2 folding buckets aren’t perfect but they’re here. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT2SEATS.html
Old 11-11-2018, 09:01 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Good idea, as any wing GT3 991.2 should have silver stitch, but after springing for the Miami blue pass throughs on the LWB, why the switch?
Long story, but while the kids are small, easier access to the back would be nice. I would paint the harness pass-throughs and install herringbone inserts to make the new seats match.

If not possible, not the end of the world.

Did you see my new thread? Car is in!

Originally Posted by nilaz
Get the backets and order from Porsche OEM leather and stitching you need as spare parts.
The spare parts still need a VIN and would add a lot of cost (thousands, not hundreds, of $$$).

Originally Posted by Porsches
GT2 folding buckets aren’t perfect but they’re here. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/GT2SEATS.html
Those throw a light and also don’t have the Platinum Silver stitching.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsches
I have those in my 997 GT3 RS and like them. Plug and play too. Nice to have the shoulder belt option too. But I bought them in 08 and they were just under 8k at the time.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:17 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I did see the new thread and was like, that looks great, why is he changing seats! Still can’t believe you CXXed the yellow stripe on the steering wheel.

Regardless, one other consideration is that the folding buckets are not height adjustable. Not sure what seating position you are using, but maybe an issue.

I am also looking for folding buckets, but I only want one for the passenger side and I just need black (now gary at classicfx has Touring fabric in stock swapping the centers is a non-issue.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:59 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

I know there have been other threads on this, debating swapping my 991 GT3 buckets out for the folding version for a lot of similar reasons mentioned above.

Can anyone speak to first hand experience with this? The buckets aren't impossible to get, but just curious if people have done 997 buckets and swapped electronics, or gone for the 991 version from Europe?
Old 11-11-2018, 04:52 PM
jbatchelor
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Whilst sourcing from Europe is doable, my belief is that you will need to proceed with caution...

The main reason for this is that, within Europe, on the 981/991 generation cars there are no 'occupancy sensors' fitted to passenger-side seats (of any type, whether sofas, folding buckets or LWBs); the passenger airbag is always live (once the ignition circuit is powered up) unless it is switched-off via a key-operated switch that is not even standard fit and which has to be ordered and fitted as an accessory item. In North American markets (in the main, USA and Canada), occupancy sensors are fitted to the passenger seat so that the airbag is deactivated if the seat is not occupied (and, I believe, the airbag is programmed to give a different, more gentle, deployment in the case that a lightweight occupant, such as a child, is detected). So, as a general rule, seats purchased in Europe will not have any occupancy sensor fitted which leads to the reported problem of having the airbag warning light permanently lit.

And, in the case of folding buckets, I think you will struggle to overcome this. I'm not absolutely, totally, completely 100% sure but I believe it's the case that the folding buckets have not been engineered for 981/991 generation cars with any form of occupancy sensor (the logic would appear to be that they could not satisfy recently updated safety regulations requiring height adjustment to be incorporated, so if they are not legal and cannot be fitted, why spend time, money and effort in developing a sensor system?). In the earlier cars (987/997.2), occupancy sensing on folding buckets was achieved through use of piezo-electric pressure transducers that were integrated into the seat rails and mounting points on North American spec cars, and there's a double-whammy at play here; newly sourced 981/991-era folding buckets (eg: from Europe) will not have sensors and, fitting older 987/997-era folding buckets will not work as the 981/991 generation cars are not compatible, electrically, with the senors fitted to the older seats.

All of that said, a good place to look for new or nearly-new seats (folding buckets or LWBs) from within Europe is at www.teile.com, who have operations in Poland and in the east of Germany; I have good personal experience of the quality of their service and for excellent support from Michael who works there.

Probably not the information you were hoping to uncover and, whilst there are some parts of what I've written that I can't be absolutely, totally sure about, I'm confident enough about my findings to recommend you to take care if you step into this area. Folding buckets are expensive paper weights if you can't get them to work properly in your car!

James

Last edited by jbatchelor; 11-12-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:56 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Thank you the in depth explanation, James. Most helpful.

I was told that BGB Motorsports are able to retrofit GT2 seats (unsure if these are 997 or euro 991.1-2014 spec) to the 911.1 GT3. When I pm'd them about this process, they confirmed they DO perform this conversion with all lights addressed. But that know-how is kept close to their chests as, they do a "deeper" programming so that seats are accepted.

I believe I've also seen another RLer successfully retrofit a drivers-side only to their GT3 without airbag light issues. (was not clear if some sort of advanced programming was needed).

Quick Reply: Folding buckets proxy in Europe