Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 vs. GT4 - Can only have 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:43 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I have both (GT4 and 991.2 GT3T). The 4.0 liter flat six is incredible. You are driving a race to work everyday! The GT4 motor is more sedate. It’s a personal choice.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks again for the continued feedback everyone. Lots of great real life comparisons from folks who own/have owed both.

Just going to share this for fun: I had my wifey convinced I’m getting a GT4, no problem she said........well after reading this thread and emailing a few dealers about GT3s; then accidentally leaving my email open on the home computer, let’s just say we had a very heated discussion why I need a $250K car now. I tried quoting a bunch of your responses here to justify the GT3, but for some reason she didn’t agree with any of you

Then she started jewlery browsing online & said if I get an even more expensive car then she gets some new diamonds...... Sometimes life would be so much easier with a mistress...... Any feedback for that? “Wife vs. Mistress - Can only have 1” hahaha JK THAT decision would be a TON more expensive and I’d be back to driving a Honda Civic
Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

"Any feedback for that? “Wife vs. Mistress/"

I've known lots of guys who have had both, and in the long run it never worked out. They ended up wanting the newer model, but the old model cost them a LOT of money on the way to moving forward with the newer model.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:34 PM
kento521
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT

I've known lots of guys who have had both, and in the long run it never worked out. They ended up wanting the newer model, but the old model cost them a LOT of money on the way to moving forward with the newer model.
Hilarious! 😂
Old 11-07-2018, 01:14 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Thanks again for the continued feedback everyone. Lots of great real life comparisons from folks who own/have owed both.

Just going to share this for fun: I had my wifey convinced I’m getting a GT4, no problem she said........well after reading this thread and emailing a few dealers about GT3s; then accidentally leaving my email open on the home computer, let’s just say we had a very heated discussion why I need a $250K car now. I tried quoting a bunch of your responses here to justify the GT3, but for some reason she didn’t agree with any of you

Then she started jewlery browsing online & said if I get an even more expensive car then she gets some new diamonds...... Sometimes life would be so much easier with a mistress...... Any feedback for that? “Wife vs. Mistress - Can only have 1” hahaha JK THAT decision would be a TON more expensive and I’d be back to driving a Honda Civic
So busted.

A 3rd hand salvage title GT4 will do you fine. Enjoy.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:44 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
So busted.

A 3rd hand salvage title GT4 will do you fine. Enjoy.
So true. This is when one learns that just because you can find the money for the GT3, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s in the cards!!!

Both legendary cars. A new Gt3 can’t be a benchmark against which to measure happiness because to be even considering it one must be blessed, so I’d throw away any concept of “I’ll regret it if I don’t” unless truly money is no object and the GT3 is an cheaper alternative to a new McLaren 720S. 😀

i hear you in MT as I was the same. I couldn’t have cared less about .1GT3s and there was no way I was getting a .2 MT (due to cost beyond what I wanted to spend but they were also, and still are, impossible to get). The 997 Gt3s are the best of their breed IMO. Right size. Enough performance for me. Best looking. Still rawish and not too refined like the newer cars.

I found that the only thing I gave up when I decided on the GT4 against those was a bit on the high end of the engine. And I got a newer package that was under warranty and the funnest car I’ve ever had. Agree that you can’t compare the GT4 engine to a newer GT3 engine. Different league. Im not on the track anymore and I don’t rip around on city streets so I’m not missing that but I don’t believe in debt and pay cash for cars and I can tell you that I’m happy with the extra $100k I have.

I found that there was no car, from any brand, that offered what the GT4 does for the price, and pricing here in Canada is still at significant premiums to MSRP, so I bought it. No regrets. Love the car like no other I’ve had.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert

Go back in for round two a GT3 will not cost you 250k unless you’re not in the US.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker

So true. This is when one learns that just because you can find the money for the GT3, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s in the cards!!!

Both legendary cars. A new Gt3 can’t be a benchmark against which to measure happiness because to be even considering it one must be blessed, so I’d throw away any concept of “I’ll regret it if I don’t” unless truly money is no object and the GT3 is an cheaper alternative to a new McLaren 720S. 😀

i hear you in MT as I was the same. I couldn’t have cared less about .1GT3s and there was no way I was getting a .2 MT (due to cost beyond what I wanted to spend but they were also, and still are, impossible to get). The 997 Gt3s are the best of their breed IMO. Right size. Enough performance for me. Best looking. Still rawish and not too refined like the newer cars.

I found that the only thing I gave up when I decided on the GT4 against those was a bit on the high end of the engine. And I got a newer package that was under warranty and the funnest car I’ve ever had. Agree that you can’t compare the GT4 engine to a newer GT3 engine. Different league. Im not on the track anymore and I don’t rip around on city streets so I’m not missing that but I don’t believe in debt and pay cash for cars and I can tell you that I’m happy with the extra $100k I have.

I found that there was no car, from any brand, that offered what the GT4 does for the price, and pricing here in Canada is still at significant premiums to MSRP, so I bought it. No regrets. Love the car like no other I’ve had.
For the money- the GT4 a steal for the performance it offers
Old 11-25-2018, 10:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
For the money- the GT4 a steal for the performance it offers
I think the 991.1 GT3 is an even bigger steal, esp. with the 10/100k warranty.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:26 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think the 991.1 GT3 is an even bigger steal, esp. with the 10/100k warranty.
This.

You can buy a well spec’d CPO 991.1 GT3 for $120K, maybe less. And it has the 10yr engine warranty.

I had a 2014 991.1 GT3 and a GT4 at same time for about 6 months. No contest. GT3 always felt more special / more of an event to get into and drive every time. Better steering (AWS), more grip, and that amazing engine.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
on the track eventually crash, driver error or mechanical
YES

Originally Posted by Waxer
There are only two types of track cars that really get tracked with regularity. Those that have crashed and those that will.
u have been around the block

Originally Posted by GTorTT

25 years and no problem. don't use the term "mistress". it's just a wife without marriage license.
I add new models too, but the new stuff aren't as elegant as my older ones.

back to cars
if you want warranty , then get warranty.
if you are talking just which car is better, if you REALY WANT TO DRIVE. the GT3 is way better.
911's are very well balanced, if you know what to do.
the GT4 is very poorly balanced if you do the wrong thing
both are nice, but GT3 is my choice.
you should drive both, they are very very different.
the engine in GT4 on paper is magnificent, almost identical to 996GT3, that's why so many 996GT3 guys bought GT4 to track.
but after flogging them, most of us went back to GT3.
in real life, the engine in GT4 is limp.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:18 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go GT3, you won’t regret it
Old 11-26-2018, 01:31 AM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

well there is a new gt4 about to come out with a 3.8 version of the 4.0 from the gt3....will be a absolute cracker

gt3 = greatness

gt3 engine + cayman = more greatness
Old 11-26-2018, 02:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
gt3 engine + cayman = more greatness
we call that CGT
it is unlikely they do another
until the kill GT3, the engine in GT4 will always be neutered one way or another,. I have been waiting since 2006, and 6 cayman (GT4/CS) later, I got tired waiting so I bought a CGT
Old 12-01-2018, 11:43 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Depending on your appetite to tweak, it’s relativley easy (though not inexpensive) to get a little more useable power from the GT4. After two GT3’s I moved from Colorado to Western NC where I really wanted a more nimble car with manual transmission. Sold my 2015 3 and bought a 2016 4. Loved everything about the GT4 except the power difference as has been commented on by everybody. So rather than waiting for the manual GT3, went the X51/tune route with Guard Transmission 3-5 close ratio gear set, lightweight clutch and flywheel and Guard LSD. Dynos at 410 hp at the rear wheel and stupid easy to drive quickly on the street or the track and honestly as I’ve gotten older, the forgivability of a mid-engine chassis has appeal. It still isn’t the same experience as the GT3, but is much more fun for this driver.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs. GT4 - Can only have 1