Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Regret

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:17 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual all the way for me. If I was tracking regularly I’m sure PDK would be the way. I love driving the manual on the street. It’s a German muscle car. If I want paddles I’ll drive my M car... or rent a friggin Dodge Journey. Everything has paddles. Is this even a conversation? They’re not fun. I feel like this thread is justification for people who have automatic 911s. Also how is the resale of those automatic 928s?

So im with the camp, street car manual, track car pdk (or manual for the fun and challenge of it).
Old 10-23-2018, 01:00 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I do miss my manual .2 GT3, no doubt. If I could have both the RS in PDK and the 6MT GT3, I would. Would I want the RS in manual....maybe, but the PDK suits the car's nature so well. I do have to say that now I've gotten used to driving the RS in manual mode and going back and forth between the paddles and lever, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than when I got the car.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
It was a similar situation with my friend, he felt like he just couldn't connect with the car. He felt like the manual was a poor match for the engine and something felt "off" and like everything wasn't working together as well as in the PDK cars. He has multiple other manual transmission cars that he loves, he tracks some of them, so it's not a skill thing or a dislike of manuals in general. He also had PDK GT3s and GT3 RS, as well as older manual GT3s. The 991.2 GT3 just didn't feel right to him with the manual transmission, so he sold it quickly. I could feel his disappointment when he first got the car and I asked him how he liked it.
^^ This!! Porsche was brilliant! Porsche 'knows' the optimal transmission for their GT cars is the PDK, however they rightfully sensed a market opportunity/demand for the 6MT after the 911R was released. People didn't realize nor care that Porsche didn't engineer the 911R as a GT car (the 911R is softer)!! Yet the clamor grew for the 6MT by all those who read how great the MT was in the 911R. Porsche fed into it and simply took the MT from the "R" and mated it to the .2 GT3 4.0L (equally brilliantly to have another conversation item beyond the mishaps of the 991.1 GT3s 3.8L engine as they were trying to sell the world on its mid-cycle replacement!). It worked like a charm!! Orders came pouring in and Porsche cashed in. While the 6MT is a phenomenal transmission in its own right, many have attested that it "doesn't feel quite right" in the .2 GT3.

The ultimate irony is that the 6MT actually works BETTER in the .2 GT3 on the TRACK (where its light pedal feel/travel, quick short shifts and tall gearing play to its advantage at sustained high rpms seen on the track) as opposed to the street where ALL of those things don't translate quite as well in city, or driving around town. YET buyers are mostly opting for the 6MT for the STREET. I've spent some time in the .2 GT3 and while its a great car, 90% of the appeal of the 6MT in that car is in the FEELING of rowing your own gears and not in how sub-optimal the transmission is for the engine in everyday driving conditions. Don't get me wrong, its not terrible but it leaves quite a bit to be desired. Porsche understood this and is cashing in on the collective nostalgia. I can't knock their hustle!
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (04-16-2021)
Old 10-23-2018, 01:38 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
CAlexio- as others have said I do prefer the 997 GT3 RS trans the most for 911's.

These new clutch pedals are too light and the dual mass robs a little from the equation.
Feel the same. Drove a manual Carrera T recently and was very disappointed with the clutch. It was basically a very light on/off switch. I already thought the GT4 clutch was on the lighter side, but this was even lighter by a significant amount.
typehxr1 (12-11-2021)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I heel and toed for over 25 years on the track. I periodically will join a race team and drive a weekend enduro but it still doesn't make me miss it enough to replace my PDK. No regrets. None. Zip. Nada.
michaeldorian (07-09-2021)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordCardGT3
Given many of us did not have a chance to drive one or both before buying, do any PDKers regret not getting manual? Just curious - I'll be the first to admit there is a grass is greener mentality here.
Well, we are up to 95 responses now, and it seems no one here regrets whatever transmission they got. Instead seems like willing to defend their choice no matter what! LOL
Now I'm curious. What did you get, and what do you mean grass is greener?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 PM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
Manual all the way for me. If I was tracking regularly I’m sure PDK would be the way. I love driving the manual on the street. It’s a German muscle car. If I want paddles I’ll drive my M car... or rent a friggin Dodge Journey. Everything has paddles. Is this even a conversation? They’re not fun. I feel like this thread is justification for people who have automatic 911s. Also how is the resale of those automatic 928s?

So im with the camp, street car manual, track car pdk (or manual for the fun and challenge of it).
Agreed. This is just another MT Vs. Auto debate. They are both great! There, close thread.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

My 3RS has arrived and I’m sooooo glad to be back to the PDK...
michaeldorian (04-16-2021)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shamoo
No regret at all. I've wanted a PDK/DCT transmission ever since I had my E92 M3. It was a manual, but once I experienced the DCT of the BMW back then, it changed my whole outlook on life lols. It wasn't until many years later that I was able to purchase the GT3 PDK.

Do I miss having a manual? Of course, all the time. But I can satisfy that itch with even a "basic" car with a manual transmission (might get a Subaru or something). With my GT3, I wanted something fast. And every time I hear a fast upshift/downshift, I'm happy I chose the PDK.

Value wise, do I wish the value of my 991.2 GT3 goes up/remains high? Of course. Everyone would. But I was not going to purchase a manual (speculation here) just for it to maybe happen. There are definitely those who bought manuals just for value alone. Nothing wrong with that.
You speak the truth. The getrag dual clutch in the E92 M3 was a great box. When I bought my M3, I had to go out of my way to find a DCT. Seemed like every car had a manual. But it was worth it, great, instant crisp shifts. Downshifts were fantastic too. And if you turned off the traction control you could bump the shift ferocity from level 5 to "sporty puristic 6".

Since that car I've been completely spoiled. No way on earth I'd buy a paddle-shift slushbox automatic. And I have a hard time considering any of the F1 transmissions besides the very latest iterations. BMW set the bar too high.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I ordred GT3 touring manual.
regret not having pdk
same weight need the same balance
delete the touring side mufflers
retry a test and let us know
Old 10-23-2018, 04:43 PM
StanfordCardGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Well, we are up to 95 responses now, and it seems no one here regrets whatever transmission they got. Instead seems like willing to defend their choice no matter what! LOL
Now I'm curious. What did you get, and what do you mean grass is greener?
I got a PDK and was questioning if it was the right choice (hence the grass is greener mentality). But this thread has been illuminating. I was starting to second guess myself with a PDK. But upon making a slow turn exiting today from the highway today where I had to decelerate quickly from 70 to ~25, it dawned on me how annoying it was to remember which gear to downshift to (i.e. going from 6th gear to 3rd non-sequentially on a fast corner) to properly exit the corner. I would like to focus more on the road and enjoyment and not worry about a mis shift or matching the rev range when downshifting non-sequentially (even with auto rev match which only helps to a certain extent).
Old 10-23-2018, 05:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Good to have choices. OP was not a PDK vs. MT thread, but a "if you ordered X, how are about it now?"

And we can thank the 991.1 GT3 reaction + surprise demand for the GT4 (which was in no small part due to the fact it was the Cayman many wanted for years, and just happened to be MT only) + the 911R (which was really just a business case for a 6MT for the 991.2 GT3, leaving one on the shelf) for the choice we've got.

Interesting perspectives throughout this thread.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:34 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

I have a PDK GT3 and sometimes regret not getting a manual. I have a GTI that I daily that has manual that satisfies that sometimes, but wonder at times what a manual GT3 would be like. PDK GT3 is definitely still great as it seamlessly changes gears.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 193 Posts

I also have a 991.2GT3 PDK which i've had for a year now and absolutely love it, however i do get days when i wished i'd gone for a manual..I was all set om manual last year until i drove a 991.1GT3 PDK on track in July and i was smitten, at which point i switched my order to PDK.
There is no right or wrong IMO as the latest GT3 is an awesome car whichever transmission its got.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:31 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordCardGT3
I got a PDK and was questioning if it was the right choice (hence the grass is greener mentality). But this thread has been illuminating. I was starting to second guess myself with a PDK. But upon making a slow turn exiting today from the highway today where I had to decelerate quickly from 70 to ~25, it dawned on me how annoying it was to remember which gear to downshift to (i.e. going from 6th gear to 3rd non-sequentially on a fast corner) to properly exit the corner. I would like to focus more on the road and enjoyment and not worry about a mis shift or matching the rev range when downshifting non-sequentially (even with auto rev match which only helps to a certain extent).
Ahh, got it. I'm glad we got that straightened out for you. Drive over to your closest big city during rush hour, or take it to the track, both scenarios where the PDK will REALLY shine. Enjoy the car, and the PDK!!

Quick Reply: PDK Regret