Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS No Navi/Bluetooth audio - what options ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:06 PM
howielambert
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS No Navi/Bluetooth audio - what options ?

Unfortunalty my 2016 GT3RS came with the basic stereo head unit. Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit the upgraded unit that was available at the time the car was sold new. I am not interested in after market options. Many thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 02:00 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm confused. All of these vehicles should have this feature already.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM
howielambert
6th Gear

Sadly not. Mine car doesn't have the Navi button. It has phone Bluetooth connection, but not Bluetooth streaming.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by howielambert
Sadly not. Mine car doesn't have the Navi button. It has phone Bluetooth connection, but not Bluetooth streaming.
Get a Bluetooth to stereo jack adapter and shove it in the glove box. I do that on my GT4 and it sounds great with the base audio system.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

Get a Bluetooth to stereo jack adapter and shove it in the glove box. I do that on my GT4 and it sounds great with the base audio system.
Part number? Link?

-Dave
Old 10-13-2018, 03:02 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not just get a new head unit? New one on Suncoast is 4K, but you can get a used one off a Carrera, which is the same, for about 1K.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:42 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Ace

Part number? Link?

-Dave
Here’s an example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IV1H1ME/
Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 AM
howielambert
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gago1101
Why not just get a new head unit? New one on Suncoast is 4K, but you can get a used one off a Carrera, which is the same, for about 1K.
That's kind of what I was thinking, do you know if it's a straight swap?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:05 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

That's kind of what I was thinking, do you know if it's a straight swap?
As far as I know they are the same. There may be updated software after a certain year, however. If you find a unit from a 15’ and later Carrera, it should be a straight swap. I checked ebay, they got used ones cheaper than 1k.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:13 PM
jbatchelor
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Unfortunalty my 2016 GT3RS came with the basic stereo head unit. Does anyone know if it is possible to retro fit the upgraded unit that was available at the time the car was sold new. I am not interested in after market options. Many thanks
The answer is "yes", this can be done, but depending on the starting point the job can range from straightforward (but involved) through to pretty complex.

I'm UK based so not as familiar with US specs as those that we have in Europe but the first question to answer is whether your car has Sound Package Plus (which means there will be a separate power amp located under the RH (pax) seat, in a small void-like compartment under the carpet) or not. If 'yes', then the task falls into the first (easier) category; if not (which would mean that you have the base CDR31 radio head unit, which looks like the full Nav-PCM except that is has no Navi button, a lower resolution screen and - importantly - it incorporates a modest built-in power amplifier stage) then the project falls into the more difficult category.

If you have a look at the spec sheet/build codes for the car (or maybe check for the power amp under the pax seat) and post your findings here, I will be able to point you in the right direction.

James
Old 10-14-2018, 02:42 PM
jbatchelor
Advanced

Just realised - it looks as though you may also be UK based... In which case, all that I worote above still applies except that you will be looking under the driver's seat to find out whether there is a power amp there or not (it's always in the void under the RH seat, irrespective of RHD or LHD).

If you have the build codes to hand (inside cover page of Service Record book) then look for: I-490 (separate ASK/Sound Package Plus) amplifier and/or I-696 (CDR31 base radio).

Let me (us!) know!

James
Old 10-15-2018, 04:46 AM
howielambert
6th Gear

James, thanks for the comprehensive reply - it sounds like you have had past experience. The car is currently with the dealer having a service, I will update the post as soon as I get the car back. However I have a fear that it may only have the very basic headunit (given the poor quality display and lack of a Navi button)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 AM
jbatchelor
Advanced

No worries - as you say, I do have some past experience; you should see my file of notes! It was a steep learning curve but I got there in the end and I'm very happy to share the learning and to make it easy for anyone else to do, avoiding the trials and experimentation I had to go through. Even if you do have the basic head unit, knowing what to purchase (and where from) and, just as importantly, what not to purchase makes a full navi/DAB/BT/USB installation possible for relatively little cost - I'd say for around £1500 max (and potentially significantly less) whilst retaining OEM appearance and functionality.

I'll watch out for your update post.

James
Old 12-14-2018, 10:36 PM
johnnyf
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jbatchelor
No worries - as you say, I do have some past experience; you should see my file of notes! It was a steep learning curve but I got there in the end and I'm very happy to share the learning and to make it easy for anyone else to do, avoiding the trials and experimentation I had to go through. Even if you do have the basic head unit, knowing what to purchase (and where from) and, just as importantly, what not to purchase makes a full navi/DAB/BT/USB installation possible for relatively little cost - I'd say for around £1500 max (and potentially significantly less) whilst retaining OEM appearance and functionality.

I'll watch out for your update post.

James
Hi James
I have a very basic head unit in my 991.1 GT3RS with no Navi functionality. I have purchased a kit from Naviplus which will use the info button to give me apply or android car play. I will get maps plus it has functionality for front and rear cameras which i think will assist in my car.
Very happy to hear what you have done and recommend. My local installer is encouraging me to keep the OEM head unit and to install an extra amp and new speakers to get better audio but it isn't cheap and i am considering whether I am wasting my money on audio given that the only audio function I use 99% of the time is radio.

Quick Reply: GT3RS No Navi/Bluetooth audio - what options ?