Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the parts that are different in the RS motor over the GT3 motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Turbo side scoops are always functional since the 993 Turbo S. They feed air to the intercoolers. The only fake turbo scoops are the on 964 Turbo S
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Montoya is such a controversial thread starter!
hehehe
Hahaha! Curious minds want to know...

Originally Posted by GrantG

My vote is for ECU at near 100% responsibility
I tend to agree, but their is a little better breathing too...

Originally Posted by shamoo
I'll throw out a totally useless comment here.

It is totally conceivable that there is zero difference in the motor and it is all just air/exhaust differences. The advertised power of my Honda Accord Sport is 5hp higher than the base version. There is zero difference except for a dual exhaust (which is actually much heavier). But hey, it is more "free flowing" so they advertise a 5hp higher number.

20hp on a Porsche could make sense easily with some additional airflow.
See above, I think it's mostly tuning.

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts! As I said, I'm just curious what are the differences between the two. From some of the side by side drags, the extra torque and power are coming in at a fairly low speed so I also agree with others that point out the ram air impact is low and probably not part of the rated extra 20 HP.

So here's a further puzzle- Take an RS and a GT3, add improved exhaust like Dundon, GMG or Akra, and a tune on both. Are they now equal in performance up to the point of the ram air effect?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
The side scoops are functional. The wider rear fender flares create a high pressure zone ahead of them that the side scoops can effectively exploit. No such high pressure zone exists without the fender flair, so flush mounted intakes (ie early boxster) will be far less effective.
on the NON-GT cars???
Old 09-28-2018, 06:16 PM
oneightee
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
The turbo doesn't need a ram-air effect. It's sucking in as much air as it wants and far more than could be pushed in at any speed.
This is incorrect. Look at any front mount turbo application on a drag car and you will see an appreciable difference in pressure at speed vs. a static test.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

According to some the useless BMC filters are 10HP alone! The RS moniker is another 10!
Old 09-28-2018, 06:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Seriously though...I wonder if they've handicapped the throttle opening on the GT3 just like they did on the GT4... I also wonder if the upper plenum/intake is the same : I mean,the RS is obviously getting the air in differently...
Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

...or .... you overcooked that turn on the mountain pass (Stelvio, Gloss.?) and wanted to know if upgrading to an RS would have saved you!

Not a mind reader, just guessing based on readings here
Originally Posted by montoya
Hahaha! Curious minds want to know...
So here's a further puzzle- Take an RS and a GT3, add improved exhaust like Dundon, GMG or Akra, and a tune on both. Are they now equal in performance up to the point of the ram air effect?
Montoya is such a controversial thread starter!
hehehe
Old 09-28-2018, 09:43 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

The reason the intake diagrams for turbos don’t show the side scoops is because those scoops were used to feed air across the outside of the inter coolers to cool the air charge inside, not to feed intake air. Hence they were designed to create air flow with no sucking from the engine. That started with the 993 because that is when the design changed from a single turbo with a top mounted intercooler to twin turbos with side mounted intercoolers in the rear fenders. The intercoolers are cooled by car movement, no fans, no engine suction, so they are efficient. Ram air effect, hmm probably not, but an engine is just an air pump, so if flow is easier through the side scoops versus the top scoops, due to size, tube reduction under the hood, bending, etc. that could add HP but as was said the 20+ was measured on a stand, no car intake scoops attached. That power comes from somewhere else. Honestly we are talking about a 4% difference. Lol
Old 09-29-2018, 12:03 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

On ED, you're feeling like the GT3 can't get any better!
I too wonder about the huge price difference on the RS over the GT3 with such close power levels
The difference in price is the price you have to pay to join the .2 RS club. If you don't care about joining the club and just care about driving then it really won't matter. You get to save $45K and get to enjoy your .1 or .2 GT3 or .1 RS.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:33 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Cleaning lady said engines are identical, just ecu and intake
Old 09-29-2018, 02:55 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

...or .... you overcooked that turn on the mountain pass (Stelvio, Gloss.?) and wanted to know if upgrading to an RS would have saved you!

Not a mind reader, just guessing based on readings here
Originally Posted by Raghu

The difference in price is the price you have to pay to join the .2 RS club. If you don't care about joining the club and just care about driving then it really won't matter. You get to save $45K and get to enjoy your .1 or .2 GT3 or .1 RS.
Hahaha! No, I love my GT3 and would not and did not choose an RS over it. I personally like the clean lines of the GT3 without the extra fender slats and scoops. But hp is hp and well, we just want to know, what and how?!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:52 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

within naturally aspirated 991.1 991.2 base and S/GTS models and sport GT3 GT3RS and R models
all have the same air filter design
the only different NA air filter is the Touring one
Old 10-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Porsche has updated the PET to include the 991.2 GT3 RS. The part numbers for the engine for the GT3 and RS are the same. It's all programming, and possibly intake.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:53 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Porsche has updated the PET to include the 991.2 GT3 RS. The part numbers for the engine for the GT3 and RS are the same. It's all programming, and possibly intake.
Thank you! Super helpful.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Regarding the Ram Air Effect... I do recall AP mentioning, when he was talking about the 991.1 GT3 RS a few years back, that while the (.1) engine is rated at 500hp on the dyno, it pushes out more at speed due to the Ram Air Effect.

I wish I could find that video, but I'm unable to at the moment.

Quick Reply: What are the parts that are different in the RS motor over the GT3 motor