Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thank you Joe

From everything I have read and heard the performance difference is real.
Some of the speed I suspect comes from the taller but narrower rear wing.
I don’t know downforce numbers but I think they got more overall, yet smaller wing!

Look forward to more tire info, getting tired of failing Hoosiers, but love the lower center of gravity the 19” provides.

Higher spring rates, different dampers and away bars also make a big difference, specially on fast, smooth tracks.
The rest of the lap time comes from a little more HP and new tires.

Aero
Suspension
Tires
HP

Im excited to drive it. Going to be a long 4 months waiting
Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Joe, if the RS vmax was 5mph higher and it was only 0.7s faster than the GT3 (with manual), doesn’t this mean that the GT3 was faster (or at least) equal in the turns (slower sections of the track)? Logically, the laptime diff should have been larger. Could also be different track conditions on different days. RS dunlops and GT3 cup2s were both fresh, correct?

Lizzard RS looks awesome on the track!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Joe, after your review, tirerack is going to be out of stock on Dunlops. It's my preferred tire too.

I'm looking forward to seeing you get into the 1:33s and smashing the regional GT record. It should be no problem for you - you lost time in T2, not early enough on the power in T5 or T9. I think a 1:32 is in the cards too.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Nice write up Joe.
Still amazes me how you get past sound even though you have gps and turn-away pipes as the engine is loud at full chat!!
It goes to show you that the sound from inside isn't the same as what others hear on the outside. I can barely tell the difference from inside the car when the valve closes. You have to really listen for it.

Originally Posted by montoya
3-4 shift in manual doesn't compare well with the RS it appears. I know you flat shifted but I can only assume that the 3-4 shift is costing time from your graph or am I reading it wrong?
Hmmm.... you're right. There is a drop at the 3-4 shift with the manual. Good pickup. Here is the graph which shows gear position. The drop in velocity is exactly at the shift points. Looks like I'm going to have to eat some crow about the performance differences between manual and PDK...

Originally Posted by hf1
Joe, if the RS vmax was 5mph higher and it was only 0.7s faster than the GT3 (with manual), doesn’t this mean that the GT3 was faster (or at least) equal in the turns (slower sections of the track)? Logically, the laptime diff should have been larger. Could also be different track conditions on different days. RS dunlops and GT3 cup2s were both fresh, correct?

Lizzard RS looks awesome on the track!
You're right, too many variable to know for sure. I agree that the lap time difference should have been larger, and that is because of the driver. Both the RS dunlops and GT3 cup2s were fresh in the data graph. Weather conditions were similar. In the RS, it definitely felt faster and more stable through T6, which I think is due to the downforce.

Originally Posted by Serge944
Joe, after your review, tirerack is going to be out of stock on Dunlops. It's my preferred tire too.

I'm looking forward to seeing you get into the 1:33s and smashing the regional GT record. It should be no problem for you - you lost time in T2, not early enough on the power in T5 or T9. I think a 1:32 is in the cards too.
Thanks, Serge. I agree with your assessment. I wasn't feeling it in T9 that day and I'm still working on getting that confidence to power early in T5.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thank you Joe

From everything I have read and heard the performance difference is real.
Some of the speed I suspect comes from the taller but narrower rear wing.
I don’t know downforce numbers but I think they got more overall, yet smaller wing!

Look forward to more tire info, getting tired of failing Hoosiers, but love the lower center of gravity the 19” provides.

Higher spring rates, different dampers and away bars also make a big difference, specially on fast, smooth tracks.
The rest of the lap time comes from a little more HP and new tires.

Aero
Suspension
Tires
HP

Im excited to drive it. Going to be a long 4 months waiting
Hmmm... maybe I shouldnt have said anything about the dunlops. I don't want them to run out of stock! LOL!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

THERE IS A REASON WHY I TELL EVERYONE CUP 2 IS THE BEST....
u don't see me on cup 2 muhahahhhaa
Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Mmmm... Burned titanium is nice.

Discovered the car is leaking oil from somewhere. Taking it to the dealer. Ugh..
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2018, 06:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I just ordered slicks to try, your Dunlop’s are safe. For now..
Oil from where, perhaps has something to do with delivery stop.
Have you removed diffuser to look.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 PM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Discovered the car is leaking oil from somewhere. Taking it to the dealer. Ugh..
where / how did you notice this? am forever mindful of this with mine. Many thanks!

Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

People have reported two different sources for oil leaks that I've noticed posted. A leaking oil tank (poor welds at the seam) or a leak from the oil hard line as it enters the crankshaft (for oiling through it). First will drip on ground or right front corner of tray and second will drip more towards the rear of the tray (centrally) and you can often see a droplet formed on the underside of the main drive belt pulley.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Bummer. Please let us know what the dealer finds.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I just ordered slicks to try, your Dunlop’s are safe. For now..
Oil from where, perhaps has something to do with delivery stop.
Have you removed diffuser to look.

Leak started after the 2nd day at Laguna (I think)

Originally Posted by .dee
where / how did you notice this? am forever mindful of this with mine. Many thanks!
Oil on the ground. Removed diffuser and there is a film of oil mostly on the left side. Seems to be a slow peak coming from an oil line. Oil pooling at front left corner of diffuser

Originally Posted by GrantG
People have reported two different sources for oil leaks that I've noticed posted. A leaking oil tank (poor welds at the seam) or a leak from the oil hard line as it enters the crankshaft (for oiling through it). First will drip on ground or right front corner of tray and second will drip more towards the rear of the tray (centrally) and you can often see a droplet formed on the underside of the main drive belt pulley.
I think mine is from the hard line.
Attached Images    
Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Hmm, so now we have oil leak from faulty oil tank seam, then oil tube at crank pulley area(me and my friend’s GT3), and now front left side oil tube.

Its seem oil is leaking from all over the places, so much for Motorsport engine..,.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Update regarding the oil leak?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Update regarding the oil leak?
It was coming from the PDK venting/breather tubes. A very slow leak that was probably going on since the car was in Germany. It only occurs with hard driving. My mechanic says leaking from transmission vent lines happens in the cup cars. Nothing to do for now and dealer gave me the car back. I'm not supposed to say more than that for now. No fluids seen yet after another day at the track.

2nd day on the Dunlops and the car was running consistent 1:34s at laguna. Outer edges of front and rear tires are wearing and insides look barely worn. Tires have one day left based on this wear pattern. Stock camber from the factory was -1.5 on all 4 corners. I'm a glutton for punishment and had my mechanic increase it to -2.5 on all 4 corners. Let's see what happens with those numbers on Dunlops.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ Sounds right!
We need you to do ALL the possible setting gs before we get the cars hehe.
Thanks!

im about to go on track at Sebring in a borrowed Lizard :-)

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's GT3RS thread: ED and the end of an era for me