Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

"practical" GT3 replacement

 
Old 09-16-2018, 01:06 PM
  #1  
naptownmike
User
Thread Starter
 
naptownmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: annapolis,MD
Posts: 126
Default "practical" GT3 replacement

I think I've gotten the GT3 bug out of my system. Has anyone had experience with the BMW M4 with competition package and manual transmission? I have never had an M spec BMW before. I don't trust the usual internet reviews and was hoping for some real experience.

I looked at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and wasn't to impressed another option is a C63 coupe It's heavy though and I don't really want a big glass sunroof but the engine probably makes up for that although it's now turbo the sound is still great. My last c63 was a blast though with the huge naturally aspirated V8 . I'm looking for something fun on the street in the $80k range and thought a manual transmission would but nice for a change.

Any insight on the M4 would be appreciated.

thanks, mike
naptownmike is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM
  #2  
SJJ28
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
SJJ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 936
Default

Pay attention to the steering feel when you test drive the BMW. I had an early f80 M3, and couldn't handle the steering. They say it's gotten better, but better alone wouldn't make it good.

I don't want to taint you before you drive it, so I'll keep to myself exactly what it is I don't like. They have awesome power tho!!
SJJ28 is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 03:54 PM
  #3  
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
abiazis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berkeley Lake, Georgia
Posts: 2,048
Default

I had my GT3 fix for 3 months and did not like the drama for daily driving and realized I was not going to beat on it at the track...........traded it on a Turbo S that I can drive everyday and an occasional autocross or track day that will more than satisfy.........the exhaust in sport and sport plus and PDK fast or manual shifting is satisfying to me.........
abiazis is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:05 PM
  #4  
Maverick787
Super User
 
Maverick787's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,700
Default

Originally Posted by naptownmike View Post
I think I've gotten the GT3 bug out of my system. Has anyone had experience with the BMW M4 with competition package and manual transmission? I have never had an M spec BMW before. I don't trust the usual internet reviews and was hoping for some real experience.

I looked at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and wasn't to impressed another option is a C63 coupe It's heavy though and I don't really want a big glass sunroof but the engine probably makes up for that although it's now turbo the sound is still great. My last c63 was a blast though with the huge naturally aspirated V8 . I'm looking for something fun on the street in the $80k range and thought a manual transmission would but nice for a change.

Any insight on the M4 would be appreciated.

thanks, mike
own’d the M4 for 3 years and it was the worst M car I’ve own’d it’s heavy and steering it very light with no feel compared to Porsche. I’ve own’d BMW’s for 19 years, and told them this was my worst experience and couldn’t wait to get rid of the car. They will try and say a comp package is better and my view it’s a gimmeck just to sell more cars. Also for turbo lag and sound it’s not good. GT car all the way for handling, feel, and sound are all great. The piglet in bay one gone. (:


Maverick787 is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 PM
  #5  
BlazinPond
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
BlazinPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minneapolis/Atlanta
Posts: 977
Default

Originally Posted by abiazis View Post
I had my GT3 fix for 3 months and did not like the drama for daily driving and realized I was not going to beat on it at the track...........traded it on a Turbo S that I can drive everyday and an occasional autocross or track day that will more than satisfy.........the exhaust in sport and sport plus and PDK fast or manual shifting is satisfying to me.........
He said practical and 80k. We get you couldn't do a GT3 and like your turbo now...
Maybe check out the 991 thread instead.
BlazinPond is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:09 PM
  #6  
sampelligrino
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sampelligrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,222
Default

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
He said practical and 80k. We get you couldn't do a GT3 and like your turbo now...
Maybe check out the 991 thread instead.
You might be able to get into a 991.1 Turbo actually close to that (nonS) by now

I don't see anything wrong with what he suggested, I have a GT3 and agree with what he is saying in terms of it's tough to wring the car out on the street compared with a car that has turbos, whether a 911 or M4 or AMG etc...
sampelligrino is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:13 PM
  #7  
Ascend
User
 
Ascend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 756
Default

Spend less than 30k and get lightly used s2k.
Ascend is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:14 PM
  #8  
Footsoldier
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 998
Default

I see you’ve ruled it out, but I just got a Quadrofoglio, and think it’s a great car, and a bit different.
Footsoldier is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:17 PM
  #9  
S S
User
 
S S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Liberty Hill, TX
Posts: 448
Default

Mustang GT350 or 350R (If no back seat doesn't = non practical).
S S is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:17 PM
  #10  
BlazinPond
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
BlazinPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minneapolis/Atlanta
Posts: 977
Default

Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
You might be able to get into a 991.1 Turbo actually close to that (nonS) by now

I don't see anything wrong with what he suggested, I have a GT3 and agree with what he is saying in terms of it's tough to wring the car out on the street compared with a car that has turbos, whether a 911 or M4 or AMG etc...
Highly doubt you can get a 991.1 turbo for 80k, unless it has a bad carfax.
BlazinPond is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM
  #11  
IPSA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
IPSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: S.Fla.
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by naptownmike View Post
I think I've gotten the GT3 bug out of my system. Has anyone had experience with the BMW M4 with competition package and manual transmission? I have never had an M spec BMW before. I don't trust the usual internet reviews and was hoping for some real experience.

I looked at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and wasn't to impressed another option is a C63 coupe It's heavy though and I don't really want a big glass sunroof but the engine probably makes up for that although it's now turbo the sound is still great. My last c63 was a blast though with the huge naturally aspirated V8 . I'm looking for something fun on the street in the $80k range and thought a manual transmission would but nice for a change.

Any insight on the M4 would be appreciated.

thanks, mike

TT RS or RS 3

Not manual unless you find a 12 or 13 tt rs, Fewer than 1300 in US so clean ones are holding value. I still DD mine. Clean low mile cars around in the low 40's

Chip, exhaust , intercooler = 450 hp, 470 tq in a 3100 lb 4 AWD platform. Put a good sway bar out back and it cleans up most of the understeer.

RS and GT 4 for track and weekends.
IPSA is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:21 PM
  #12  
0-60 freak
User
 
0-60 freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 419
Default

Originally Posted by naptownmike View Post
I think I've gotten the GT3 bug out of my system. Has anyone had experience with the BMW M4 with competition package and manual transmission? I have never had an M spec BMW before. I don't trust the usual internet reviews and was hoping for some real experience.

I looked at the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and wasn't to impressed another option is a C63 coupe It's heavy though and I don't really want a big glass sunroof but the engine probably makes up for that although it's now turbo the sound is still great. My last c63 was a blast though with the huge naturally aspirated V8 . I'm looking for something fun on the street in the $80k range and thought a manual transmission would but nice for a change.

Any insight on the M4 would be appreciated.

thanks, mike
I have a 2016 M4 comp package, dct ....phenomenal car ...best bang for the buck! I paid 55k for a 3k mile car, installed h&r springs, mperformance front and side splitters....highly recommend!
0-60 freak is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 05:01 PM
  #13  
sampelligrino
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sampelligrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,222
Default

Another option is a 991.1 or 991.2 Carrera variant (different engines which both have their own benefits IMO) if you are still open a different 911, I would take either one over a M4 or AMG personally but YMMV
sampelligrino is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 05:07 PM
  #14  
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
abiazis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berkeley Lake, Georgia
Posts: 2,048
Default

As Sam suggests....a CPO Carrera variant would be a good choice for the 80k...Ie Carrera S...would be a great Car..
abiazis is offline  
Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 PM
  #15  
kav1
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Default

I purchased a GT350R around the same time as the GT3 and find the Gt350R to be a more practical version of the GT3. Great car.
kav1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: