Sponsored by:

.2 MT Rev Limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RSA964993
That video proves just how much more driver involvement there is with manual. Love it!!
I like to use the videos to prove that manual isnt any slower than pdk either!

Old 09-16-2018, 12:47 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Orthojoe, got back from Thunderhill last night. It was awesome. And now watching your video, it alllllll makes sense now haha. I did hit the rev limiter at the top of 4th on the front straight just like you. I tried short shifting to 5th once or twice but it yielded about the same results going into turn 1. By the end of the day, I was really in the zone. Fun track once you get the hang of it.

As far as the PDK vs manual thing... yeah... I don't see how there can be any difference on a track like this at least. You're in 3rd and 4th for most of it. When you downshift, you're braking. So having a PDK won't make you any faster. And the only times you upshift into 4th are on the two-and-a-half straights. And really, the manual is so nice and crisp you're really not losing any time or speed from a few shifts per lap.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Orthojoe, got back from Thunderhill last night. It was awesome. And now watching your video, it alllllll makes sense now haha. I did hit the rev limiter at the top of 4th on the front straight just like you. I tried short shifting to 5th once or twice but it yielded about the same results going into turn 1. By the end of the day, I was really in the zone. Fun track once you get the hang of it.

As far as the PDK vs manual thing... yeah... I don't see how there can be any difference on a track like this at least. You're in 3rd and 4th for most of it. When you downshift, you're braking. So having a PDK won't make you any faster. And the only times you upshift into 4th are on the two-and-a-half straights. And really, the manual is so nice and crisp you're really not losing any time or speed from a few shifts per lap.
On the Ring where you make approx ~35 gear changes in one lap PDK does have an advantage...
Old 09-16-2018, 05:23 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
On the Ring where you make approx ~35 gear changes in one lap PDK does have an advantage...
I guess if the difference in shift time is what's holding you back from a record-setting lap, you must really know what you're doing.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I guess if the difference in shift time is what's holding you back from a record-setting lap, you must really know what you're doing.
its all relative, PDK shifts approx 3 orders of magnitude faster than a manual shift, during which the manual car is effectively coasting ... multiply that by 35 or so and it starts to make a noticeable difference.

My personal best BtoG time was 7:35 "drafting" a couple of Swedish .2 PDK cars for about 1/3 of a lap...

Quick Reply: .2 MT Rev Limiter?