DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

997 RS 4.0
Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

GT3 T that will be here within 2 months is mine.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:23 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Funny you should mention these two, as In chance coincidence, i happen to have Spent a good amount of time this week comparing these two and a few others. Wouldn't have brought it up except I'm reading this thread it seems apropos.

Drove with buddies all over the mountains over Labor Day weekend with Tdf, 812, 918 weissach which I'm already quite familiar with, and a very pretty 458 Speciale Aperta.

What I can say is that the Tdf has a fantastic front end grip, really allows for aggressive corner entry, very surprising for such a big GT car. Has a beautiful sonorous intake and exhaust sound. If you dream at night as a kid of what ferraris sound like (I did).. the Tdf IS that dreamy sound. From a dynamic perspective it has a rear end which wants to play like a puppy dog skidding around chasing a Toy ball. Comes out easily but never bites you.. just playful not dangerous feeling. If You like large front engine v12 cars, this baby ticks all the fun boxes, its so dialed in. I'm having fun editing a little video of where we did some nice runs in CToff mode.. I maypost it here when I finish it. Anyway, Tdf is such a fun car, really really playful for such a big machine.
It's greatest party piece however.: is how it brings all the girls to the yard..

Anyway, in summary... pick the finest NA high revving 911 GT product you can afford, and that should be your car.
Great write up CAlexio....thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Agreed. Allesandro, thanks for contributing! Have you previously published your thoughts on the R vs. your GT3 MT? Would be interested in hearing.
thanks for the nice words guys.. here just having fun like the rest of us, no pretensions to actually "know" or understand anything, but it's so much fun to randomly opine on sports cars when i have the chance to drive them.

yes, i have written my thoughts on gt3 vs R.. AND IT DID NOT GO WELL.. i think i added a post to a "911R review" thread or something like that. lets just say the R owners were less than enthralled with my humble assessment ;-D. .. don't touch the sacred cow! ;-DDDD

namaste.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:58 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

What a great write up CAlexio! Thanks for sharing! You are fortunate indeed to be able to experience all of those amazing cars. I had the Speciale as a close second on my wish list (behind the Carrera GT) if I was willing to spend that much. It sounds like the GT3T will be a really nice consolation pick since I don't have a 911R.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by VECCA
What a great write up CAlexio! Thanks for sharing! You are fortunate indeed to be able to experience all of those amazing cars. I had the Speciale as a close second on my wish list (behind the Carrera GT) if I was willing to spend that much. It sounds like the GT3T will be a really nice consolation pick since I don't have a 911R.
CGT anywhere below $1M can't be beaten in my mind.. ask Mooty. it's blue chip investment and I have to imagine, blue chip driving enjoyment... i'm still sulking he hasn't offered me a ride yet, i wait outside his home daily.

And yes in my opinion, GT3T or GT3 manual is the bargain of the century man.. the engine in it is just perfection. I feel so sure inside that next gt3 will be the same thing with just a higher redline.. when you see how eagerly it accelerates to 9000rpm (the R simply doesn't do that).. you realize that the 9000 rpm redline is an artificially limited number... my gut tells me they left room for 500rpm more. you'll fall in love so hard with your car. congratulations.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

As mentioned earlier, i made a little video edit of my time with a TDF while in Italy. These drives tend to happen last minute so no camera equipment or anything more than an iphone was available.. i edit these videos during spare time for my own enjoyment, so apologies ahead of time for the poor quality etc.

The one thing i can offer is that Ferraris, at least in the past 15 years or so, are rarely worth buying as performance cars unless you can get one of the special edition versions. The "normal" versions only approximate the emotion you'd expect to find, but in reality tend to be neutered, somewhat synthetic let-downs. A GT-porsche (here I go again) is much more visceral fun. However, the "special" ferraris, don't disappoint. I find that the 430 Scuderia is much more fun to drive than a 458.. steering weight, sound, response.. all just feel so much more exciting. A 458 Speciale is much more fun to drive than a 488.. despite being much slower. In this case, when discussing the front-engine V12 cars, the same story repeats. I was offered an 812 superfast for a week to drive to meetings and groceries etc., and then sampled the older F12 TDF on the weekend. Undoubtedly, I would take the older TDF over the newer, faster 812. I assume at this point Ferrari has just become a master of software programming and chassis calibrations to make broadly similar cars "feel" completely different. If you look at 812 and TDF specs, tire sizes etc.. they are so similar. Yet, in seat of the pants impression, the 812 feels heavy and relatively tame, and the TDF feels alive. The intake and exhaust noise on the TDF has that wonderful brass band V12 sound you dream of. The suspension is taught, the steering slightly weighty.. it all just WORKS and makes you giggle uncontrollably, the 812.. just doesn't. I hope this short video conveys that emotion.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:41 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Feel very grateful to say I own the car I would choose. Perfection to me in just about every way, pics from today on a drive up Angeles Crest
Attached Images   

Last edited by sampelligrino; 09-07-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:36 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

This...T
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:13 AM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

McLaren P1.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

my two fav
Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
CGT anywhere below $1M can't be beaten in my mind.. ask Mooty. it's blue chip investment and I have to imagine, blue chip driving enjoyment... i'm still sulking he hasn't offered me a ride yet, i wait outside his home daily.

And yes in my opinion, GT3T or GT3 manual is the bargain of the century man.. the engine in it is just perfection. I feel so sure inside that next gt3 will be the same thing with just a higher redline.. when you see how eagerly it accelerates to 9000rpm (the R simply doesn't do that).. you realize that the 9000 rpm redline is an artificially limited number... my gut tells me they left room for 500rpm more. you'll fall in love so hard with your car. congratulations.
NO, CGT is POS
let's no drive the price up anymore.

hahaa offer you a ride.
CGT is a yugo compared to the crazy Italian toys you are exposed to....
I have to hide in my cave
Old 09-07-2018, 02:42 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I have to admit i'm really enjoying Calexio's driving impression posts as well as his photographic skills..His driving reviews sound to me upfront,genuine,enthusiastic and totally unbiased, in fact more enjoyable reading than many pro journalists i could mention.
His honest 812 review is refreshing and tallies closely with Autocar magazine's recent 812 roadtest.The TDF is the king especially in terms of rarity and stunning looks with an unashamed singularity of purpose..The car screams 'i'm uncompromisingly brutal with no time for pussyfoofing down the high street'..I much prefer the 458 Speciale as a closed coupe however in the 488 i prefer the Spider version.
So for me it would be the TDF or even more likely a Porsche Carrera GT..
Unfortunately in my case its dreaming as i can't afford to buy either except in my dreams..
+1 CAlexio your writeups are top notch.

I am surprised not one person has mentioned the 2RS or the 4.0.

For me I would likely go with the CGT, as my must haves would be manual, NA, screamer, pretty, rare and reliable. However, having never driven one, I question its everyday usability. I know one owner who had it for about a year and said it was hard work driving it in town and it couldn’t ever be an everyday car.

I am using the touring as my daily, although I take cabs/taxis mostly, and it ticks those boxes too.

CGT is the dream for me and I am lucky to say the touring is my current reality.

View this post on Instagram
Old 09-07-2018, 02:20 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

CGT. That sound is intoxicating... raw. I'd drive a cup car on the street if I could. Well, come to think of it I could in a Euro rally event.

Quick Reply: Choose a car