Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3 is in fact going to have an NA engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
unless they are reverse psychologyin' us
Very possible, though not sure why. It is in their interest to make people believe they are all going turbo, to increase the scramble for this generation. If anything, they would mess with us in the opposite way, trying to make us think it would be turbo but then not going turbo--for the normal GT3. I bet the GT3 RS goes turbo or hybrid.

So how could they lead us to believe it is going turbo...oh they would just ask someone at Porsche to "leak" it, meaning it's not official and they have no obligation to stick to it.

Every single one of these sites is just referencing the single leak/source. If there is one site reporting it or 10 it doesn't increase the reliability of the rumor.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Man im spending too much time on this thread.

Porsche has no need to play psychology game with us. All .2 gt and rs are spoken for and they will sell every 992 gt cars as well.

if it is AM trying to get rid of N/A cars rotting on their lot by leaking rumor that next gen is going turbo, its a different story tho.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
We've all got our things. When it comes to street cars, mine is three pedals. No clutch pedal, no sale.

There isn't really much left on the new car market that interests me, personally, as a fun car: Carrera/T, current GT3, Evora 400, GT350, 500 Abarth, and...that's about it.
Good list. I just picked up a Golf R commuter with a very good manual transmission. Can't wait to throw some good snows on it and go drifting in VT this winter.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:54 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

The new 992 looks horrible and bloated, imo. Not sure I’d buy it’s GT3 version, whether NA or Turbo. Porsche will really have to come out with something truly amazing like a lightweight hybrid + NA GT3 version. If they go turbo only, it’s going to be very tough for them to provide something better, than say, the current 600LT for example by the time 992 GT3 is released. And by then Mclaren will have improved significantly...
Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts

All this speculation talk is really a waste of time...
Old 09-03-2018, 06:13 AM
iheart9k
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

My contribution to this thread. Think it has one more run as NA and will go electric+NA Hybrid after 992.

https://www.motor1.com/news/240822/2...911-rsr-spied/

"Now, where’s that road-regal mid-engined 911 we’re all waiting for? At the RSR’s unveiling in L.A., Porsche did admit such a version would be possible in the mid-term, so we won’t be too surprised if the upcoming 992-gen model will eventually move the engine’s location by pushing it forwards, in front of the rear wheels."
Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Ive yet to hear a turbo car that I like the sound of (for me sound is a big deal)
If you haven't already, get a ride in the new 2RS. The sound is obviously very different than a gt3 but I think it sounds absolutely glorious in person. Sound is my number one criteria In terms of connection to a car. I have really enjoyed it thus far. The backfires, you feel them in your chest.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:03 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Would anyone love to have a 918?.... battery boosted of course. I would. The 918 is a harbinger for things to come for the GT3 and it will no doubt be awesome and Porsche will sell out of them. Porsche will find a way to keep it right. Ferrari is working on electric powered turbo chargers which is really interesting to me. They will use hybrid tech to drive the turbos and have total control of them with computers vs. the amount of available exhaust driving them with waste gates managing. This electric turbo charging solution will also preserves the "NA sound" as the exhaust will not be driven though impellers. Very creative way to use turbo charging.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:33 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
All this speculation talk is really a waste of time...
Correct but gives people a topic to talk about at least....
Old 09-03-2018, 11:11 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Correct but gives people a topic to talk about at least....
Gives us more time to do more mb2's and save for 2025 GT2RS!!!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 PM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Gives us more time to do more mb2's and save for 2025 GT2RS!!!
Nice, fellow dentites.

But like I've said, the party has to stop at some point. NA engines cant continue forever simply due to regulations, emissions etc. Electric, hybrid is going happen soon I imagine. Who knows when? When you cry wolf all the time, it becomes tough to believe the cleaning lady this time.

Last edited by silvertige; 09-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Midtowner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche will find a way to keep it right. Ferrari is working on electric powered turbo chargers which is really interesting to me. They will use hybrid tech to drive the turbos and have total control of them with computers vs. the amount of available exhaust driving them with waste gates managing. This electric turbo charging solution will also preserves the "NA sound" as the exhaust will not be driven though impellers. Very creative way to use turbo charging.
I sincerely hope you are right coming from my personal experience. Having previously owned a 2015 Turbo for two years, I never found the right feel for the throttle on the track - too much and you get WAY too much speed. Not enough and I am holding back other cars behind me. That is the nature of Turbo - you are using one system (throttle) to drive another system (Turbocharging). I just picked up a 2014 GT3 and the throttle feel is direct just the way it should be. Perhaps someone who owns both can chime in here to comment on their experiences. In any case, if Porsche does use the Turbo engine for the 992.1 GT3 then it is reasonable to expect they will use the Dynamic Boost function to keep the impellers on the boil to minimize lag. They will also need to figure out how to engineer a Turbo engine to throttle like an NA. As far as intake and exhaust sound, it's a given that it will not be the same as the current 4.0 (and 3.8) engines. Or, electric turbo's will do the trick.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 PM
tareemaa
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn’t make sense for it to be turbo, then you have the “original” 911 turbo, supposed gt3 turbo, and the gt2 which has always been turbo, what the hell is the point, especially between the gt3 and gt2. I think they will take the gt3rs motor and put it in the 992 gt3, maybe throw some electric motors in the gt3 rs and make it pdk only and leave the manual for only the gt3. Gt2 stays turbo and pdk, with addition of the same electric motors to the gt2 rs. This is what makes sense to me if Porsche keeps all models alive.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:27 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

How much stronger can we say it? We don't want FASTER cars at the expense of driving ENJOYMENT.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:34 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by tareemaa
It doesn’t make sense for it to be turbo, then you have the “original” 911 turbo, supposed gt3 turbo, and the gt2 which has always been turbo, what the hell is the point, especially between the gt3 and gt2.
You mean doesn't make sense in the way that all Carreras are turbo now and Porsche still offers the 911 Turbo?

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 is in fact going to have an NA engine.