Received 420 Likes on 219 Posts

Here it is.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...nloaded-4.html
Old 06-21-2019, 02:43 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
There’s a thread on this somewhere. if It’s on a 991.2 GT3 there is a service bulletin on the rear springs. The noise is amplified with roll bar install. Not sure if that’s the issue or the roll bar. Roll bar should not make too much noise.
No it's not the springs (which I know about). It's 100% the cage. The two halves connect with a slip joint of some sort and a bolt. When you hit a hard bump, the two halves of the cage rattle/creak under tension. My thought is some sort of rubber gasket (heat shrink?) or silicone caulk might help. Just trying to plan ahead for my GT3RS since I want to install a cage and the BBI seems like the best option at the moment, other than the noise.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:23 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
No it's not the springs (which I know about). It's 100% the cage. The two halves connect with a slip joint of some sort and a bolt. When you hit a hard bump, the two halves of the cage rattle/creak under tension. My thought is some sort of rubber gasket (heat shrink?) or silicone caulk might help. Just trying to plan ahead for my GT3RS since I want to install a cage and the BBI seems like the best option at the moment, other than the noise.
In order to reduce the stress on the joints, we use 3rd clevis joint to attach the front and rear halves. In turn, this gives the bar a properly triangulated design and significantly reduces the amount of stress on each set of clevis joints .

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 PM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,418 Likes on 831 Posts

Our Supreme Power Competition roll/harness bars are in stock and there are no noises to speak of. Inspired from the OE Euro Bar.

For more info or to order please call us at 714-632-1951 or email sales@supremepower.com

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 06-21-2019, 01:57 PM
milaadf
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had both the GMG in a previous car and now a Supreme Power in my current car. Here were my requirements. I wanted a bar that I could install myself without taking any of the side panels out (to prevent any rattles or squeaks that could develop), that installed into the factory rear strut and that resembled the OEM cage as much as possible.

I can only say good things about the Supreme Power Bar. Its modeled after the OEM cage and was narrowed slightly to make installation easier. I was able to install it myself by just taking the seats out and just lifting the rear deck carpet towards the front. I didn't not have to remove it although this probably made my job a little more time intensive but the satisfaction from not having to remove anything was worth it. I have since installed 4 other cages for my buddies who are all running the supreme power cage. I have had zero noise come from the cage. I love the race inspired look this gives the car and im sure given its similarity to the factory cage there are some safety advantages. I originally was looking at the Cantrell cage but there was no way I wanted to remove the side panels. On both cars I did notice some additional structural rigidity when entering my uneven driveway. Other than that the look in the rear view mirror is not blocked which was a concern or mine when deciding.

Last edited by milaadf; 06-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:27 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by milaadf
I have had both the GMG in a previous car and now a Supreme Power in my current car.
Any more info on the Supreme cage (material/tig welded/weight)? Their website shows none.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:10 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 549 Posts

How safety effective/ineffective is a rear cage in a US car that doesn’t have the factory installation points?
Old 06-22-2019, 12:38 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a Cantrell bar and love it. I like how there are built in metal brackets for the harnesses. This way they don't slide around. The only thing I don't like about the bar is having to cut the plastic. Most of these bars will function just fine. The reason I went with Cantrell is because I got it used for dirt cheap.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:47 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 284 Posts

most likely going w/ BBi next season in my GT3
thinking about keeping the carpet/insulation out once removed when installing the cage, something like this

anybody running a cage car w/ this set up? I'm not worried about NVH since this car will mostly be on the track w/ some random weekend errands
is there any issues running it like this besides the obvious NOISE lol
Old 06-24-2019, 04:39 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
How safety effective/ineffective is a rear cage in a US car that doesn’t have the factory installation points?

Proper triangulation of the front and rear sections of the GMG LMS Roll bar, along with structural mounting points that are already present on the 991 chassis proved to be a substantial safety factors in a multiple roll over scenario.

Last edited by gmgracing; 06-24-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 PM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you please explain what you mean by “triangulation” ? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:04 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Although these harness bars/roll cages are not used in wheel to wheel racing, there is a design element that should be taken into consideration. The fundamental elements of a roll cage should still be used when possible, and in our case, we have triangulated the rear bars into the main hoop which is what is mandated for roll cage design requirements from the likes of SCCA, NASA, etc.

Example:

Comparatively, when you do not triangulate to the bar's main hoop there is a missed opportunity to add strength and rigidity in one of the most critical places.

Example:
Originally Posted by NotThatFast
Can you please explain what you mean by “triangulation” ? Thanks.
Elephant racing also uses some diagrams to help explain triangulation in a great way! https://www.elephantracing.com/tech-...triangulation/
Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM
NotThatFast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the link. Very interesting point on geometry being used wisely to create a stronger design. Oddly, would you say the OEM 991 Club sport cage is therefore not triangulated ? It doesn’t seem like it if I understand the concept correctly.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NotThatFast
Thank you for the link. Very interesting point on geometry being used wisely to create a stronger design. Oddly, would you say the OEM 991 Club sport cage is therefore not triangulated ? It doesn’t seem like it if I understand the concept correctly.

Bolt-in roll bars are not designed for competition or racing use, but we chose to adopt the guidelines set for actual roll cages by the FIA and incorporate those safety measures in our design.

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Best roll cage for GT3 991.2