Sponsored by:

pccb's to steel rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:43 PM
bhart192
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pccb's to steel rotors

whats involved in swapping out the PCCB rotors , I pretty much plan on tracking this one with seem very minor daily driving , , I see some cars with AP rotors Thanks
Old 08-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

There are two generally popular options, PCCBs --> AP J Hooks or Girodisc iron rotors. Both are direct replacement for PCCBs and use the existing yellow PCCB brake calipers. You have your choice of pads such RE10, DSC1.11, various Pagid, PFC and Endless pads etc. it's a straight forward switch with the only downsides being weight (more unsprung mass with the iron rotors), brake dust (more brake dust to contend with) and noise (some race pads squeak more than PCCBs, especially when cold). From a performance perspective, (i.e., stopping power, braking consistency, brake pedal modulation and fade), I haven't found the use of iron rotors to be a set-back on the track and frankly I cannot discern the added weight on the track, maybe others who have can chime in. Aspects such as initial bite vary depending on pad choice. Overall, for a GT3 that will see moderate track use, it is an easy choice as replacement costs are a fraction of PCCBs.

One other option is Surface Transform CCM rotors. These have PCCB-like qualities and are refurbishable. This topic has been discussed ad-nauseam on here...check out various 'track journal' threads for more insights.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by bhart192
whats involved in swapping out the PCCB rotors , I pretty much plan on tracking this one with seem very minor daily driving , , I see some cars with AP rotors Thanks
Pretty much a straight swap. Just make sure you buy the huge/heavy 410mm/390mm rotors instead of the stock iron 380mm ones to work with your Yellow calipers.

At one time Brembo made a replacement set as well as those above (always very good quality) - not sure if they still make them or not.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:44 PM
69911s
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Another option is the full AP rotor/caliper upgrade. Save those pretty yellow rotors for the next owner and cut pad changes to a fraction of the time and have noticeably improved performance. Rotor and pad replacement are similar cost to the other options and you have a full unused ceramic set ready to go back, and you get to avoid the cracked puck issue. I did it and consider the best thing I have done to the car!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:01 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I went with a set of Girodiscs from Clark at Apex. I really didn't find a whole lot of difference in the feel. While you're in there change to Tarett caliper studs/mounting kit and Spiegler brake lines. Well worth the cost/time on your next pad change.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:42 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I went with a set of Girodiscs from Clark at Apex. I really didn't find a whole lot of difference in the feel. While you're in there change to Tarett caliper studs/mounting kit and Spiegler brake lines. Well worth the cost/time on your next pad change.
+1

Also, I went with the spiegler brake lines, had some concerns regarding the fact that there was no strain relief in rear caliper line. I then had spiegler make me a couple hoses to fix the issue.

there was then an issue with someone having a failure where I was concerned. Spiegler then sent out an update to everyone.

I then removed those lines altogether and went back to stock brake lines.

while there may be a difference in capacitance between the two (spiegler vs stock), that wasnt a big deal for me. I chose not to take the risk and decided to stick with porsche parts.

Maybe one day I'll put them back on... maybe not.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
+1

while there may be a difference in capacitance between the two (spiegler vs stock), that wasnt a big deal for me. I chose not to take the risk and decided to stick with porsche parts.

Maybe one day I'll put them back on... maybe not.
+1
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Space Coast GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
There are two generally popular options, PCCBs --> AP J Hooks or Girodisc iron rotors. Both are direct replacement for PCCBs and use the existing yellow PCCB brake calipers. You have your choice of pads such RE10, DSC1.11, various Pagid, PFC and Endless pads etc. it's a straight forward switch with the only downsides being weight (more unsprung mass with the iron rotors), brake dust (more brake dust to contend with) and noise (some race pads squeak more than PCCBs, especially when cold). From a performance perspective, (i.e., stopping power, braking consistency, brake pedal modulation and fade), I haven't found the use of iron rotors to be a set-back on the track and frankly I cannot discern the added weight on the track, maybe others who have can chime in. Aspects such as initial bite vary depending on pad choice. Overall, for a GT3 that will see moderate track use, it is an easy choice as replacement costs are a fraction of PCCBs.

One other option is Surface Transform CCM rotors. These have PCCB-like qualities and are refurbishable. This topic has been discussed ad-nauseam on here...check out various 'track journal' threads for more insights.
+1 Changed from PCCB to Giro on my GT3. Super easy - just remove PCCB rotor and pads and put on the Giro and Pagid (I went with the Yellow's).

On my GT4, Had the Surface Transforms (ST) Carbon Ceramic Rotors installed. I love them much better than the PCCB's. Have three weekends on them now: Sebring, Road Atlanta, and Roebling Road. No data to share other than my opinion. Definitely brake later and with less force on the brake pedal. I think that I am most impressed with is how I "feel" what the brakes are doing in my foot. I hope this makes since. Trail braking is definitely improved. And I think this goes hand in hand with the ability to feel what the brakes are doing in my foot. Takes two good laps to warm them up. Then they remain consistent through out the session and the day. They just don't fad or ever seem to loose bite. Plus I really like the feel and response when I really hammer on them.

Went to flip the pads after 6 days only to notice its not necessary. No wedging yet. So my impression at this time is the pads are lasting much longer too. Be interesting to see how many days I can get out of them. Will report back.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:15 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I have Girodisc PCCB to steel conversion rotors for sale
PM me if interested
may have some Ferodo ds 1.11 with some life in them also I can throw in

Last edited by kfmcmahon; 12-05-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Can you also change to 5 lug hubs?
Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

How much tracking do you plan to do? The stock PCCB fronts should last beteeen 30-40 track days of advanced DE days (at least based on a friend’s data), and even longer for the tears.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (01-08-2020)

Quick Reply: pccb's to steel rotors