Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you really go unnoticed in a GT3 Touring ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 04:23 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
True on the wing, but the average person probably doesn't even know what a GT Porsche is wing or no wing. They just think Porsche with a big wing. Must be fast and expensive. And the driver is a douche. Ok last part, may or may not be true lol.
In London 80% of the population see any 911 as a “****** bankers/city boy car”... translates to a jerk off banker from the financial centre.

Half of the remaining 20% see any 911 or Cayman as “a Porsche”. The Boxster is seen “as the cheap one”.

The Touring attracts zero attention except from car enthusiasts. Winged again a little... RS a bit more but not a huge amount.

My view in London.

FYI I’m not a “****** banker” but have nothing against them.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
IMO the whole attention thing is overblown. I have a red 488 and it doesn’t get that much attention, much less my GT3. Most people just see another 911. Oh, and I am 62 as well.
Maybe you are just not attentive?

I have a red GT3, and have never once driven it w/o having at least ONE picture taken of it- and I almost NEVER cruise around town. Stop for gas? "That's a great car, bro!" Drive the mountain roads? Nerds in the run-off with iphones pointed at me mid-apex. Pass someone? Next light or stopsign "That thing is BAD!" or "That's the cleanest Porsh I've ever seen, and my buddy has a REALLY clean 911!" Oh, and I'm 39.

I'm not going to say it's age for you, but then, maybe just tunnel vision?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Color makes a difference. Miami Blue gets a lot of attention. GT Silver, not so much.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:27 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shamoo
My neighbor asked what type of car my white winged GT3 was a few weeks after I got it.

"Is that a Scion?"

I mean it says right on the bumper what it is, but I guess if you're not a car guy...hmm. He bought his pre-owned Toyota Camry from a Scion dealer and Scion used to have "flashy" cars for younger people so maybe he thought that's what it was because of the wing. He asked how much I paid for it and I felt bad answering since I knew he was struggling a bit with home payments and stuff so I just said "a lot" with a little chuckle. He asked, "$30 thousand?" Didn't know what to say, I said "a little more" and changed the subject.

You may need to move to a new neighborhood. Think of it as "sorting". You get judged a lot less, and you can let your guard down more, and have regular conversations w folks. Not that you can't when you make way more than the people around you, but I noticed people I knew for years start to harden up as we became more and more financially comfortable. Moving to a more expensive neighborhood helped a lot.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
You may need to move to a new neighborhood. Think of it as "sorting". You get judged a lot less, and you can let your guard down more, and have regular conversations w folks. Not that you can't when you make way more than the people around you, but I noticed people I knew for years start to harden up as we became more and more financially comfortable. Moving to a more expensive neighborhood helped a lot.
Hurry and flee Irvine. I heard it's the new South Central lol
Old 08-02-2018, 05:44 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Touring gets far less attention than the wing in my experience. Around 1/4 of Porsche drivers clearly know (thumbs up, etc, which I appreciate) along with a smaller percentage of other sports car owners. I probably looks a little low and aggressive to the average driver but around here (Bay Area) it does not stand out. Go elsewhere and you'll get a different reaction- I once overheard teenagers heatedly debating if my 944 Turbo was in fact a Ferrari or not (central Canada).

Of cars I've spent time in I'd rate a red Lamborghini as a 10 for attention getting (people taking cell phone pictures of the car, jockeying for position in traffic and boxing you in for a better look).
A subdued color 918 was a 9, GT3 RS an 8, GT3 and GT4 both a 7.
My black Touring is a 5 on that scale to the casual observer +/- if I just washed it, less than a Turbo and just a half notch more than a base 991.

The result is a very different message received by the audience. From experience I can say that if you're the boss (not me) and you park a red Lamborghini in the work parking lot some employees will take issue, weather they say so or not. A Touring is much less overt, and that results in me using it more often. Also the better rear visibility for cop watch and the lack of a wing to catch attention as I flash by. If I'm doing distance the combo probably results in adding an extra couple mph to my average. Overall personally I much prefer it- it feels significantly more comfortable, but I do have an aversion to attention.
I will just say that also your spec is subtle/conservative if I am not mistaken (do not mean any offense by those descriptors). A black touring with silver wheels will blend in more than the same GT3 with wing sure, but put my GT silver wing GT3 next to a lava or Miami blue touring and I bet the touring will grab more attention. Color/spec matters almost as much as the wing IMO. A Miami blue touring with black wheels and black LEDs will be much louder than my car.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I have a lava orange touring. I get very little attention compared to my mclaren 570s.

I feel like my gt3 with wing was slightly more. On a 1-10 scale, The touring is like a 4-5, the gt3 with wing a 6-7 and the mclaren a 9
Old 08-03-2018, 06:02 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

50% of the population is females. My perception is women focuses on color rather than a form of the the car. At least my wife first focuses on the car, even though she is a petrol head and even recognize a Pagani on the road.
And then there is the 50% men. I believe at least half of them are not really into cars. And they might only focus on the color or if the car doesn't have 4 doors. Rest 25% might be into car and most probably few knows what a GT3 Touring is.

I think color makes a difference if it is a bright color and gets attention. If it is a bland or dark color, I believe generally form takes over. Last but not least if it is a GT3 or not.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

You should get a black Touring. No one will notice what it is except for other gt owners
Old 08-06-2018, 05:28 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
Lols, the neighborhood is actually very desirable. My neighbor is a nice guy, just VERY far from a car guy. Helped him with his Sienna multiple times (changed his radiator, rotated his tires, replaced his taillights, etc).

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Hurry and flee Irvine. I heard it's the new South Central lol
Too much riff raff getting into Irvine lols. JK.

Quick Reply: Can you really go unnoticed in a GT3 Touring ?!?