Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Love the comparo - and maybe I understand the goal, but if the goal is to truly compare car to car, to compare G2RS to Cup car, then why not run them on the same rubber? wouldnt that give you (and us) a true comparison for each cars capabilities if on equal rubber?

Just a thought. If i had a gt2rs (and I wish I did/could), I'd track it on hoosier R7's.... best level of grip balanced with longevity.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:24 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Without wanting to cause you any more headaches...
The Tropheo R is apparently slightly better than a Cup2, but not as good as a CupR.
I had to replace a set least week (nail..), and my car was at Manthey at the time. Like everyone else, they don't have Cup R stock yet, or I would have fitted to try. I asked if I should go with Tropheo, which they do supply, but they recommended sticking with Cup2 as Pirelli not much faster, not as good in the rain, and also has a tendency to move on the rim, requiring rebalancing.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 978 Posts

If somebody brings their GT2 RS to this week’s DE/Club Race at NJMP we can get an early read on the outcome.....
Old 08-13-2018, 12:57 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
The Tropheo R is apparently slightly better than a Cup2, but not as good as a CupR.
I had to replace a set least week (nail..), and my car was at Manthey at the time. Like everyone else, they don't have Cup R stock yet, or I would have fitted to try. I asked if I should go with Tropheo, which they do supply, but they recommended sticking with Cup2 as Pirelli not much faster, not as good in the rain, and also has a tendency to move on the rim, requiring rebalancing.
Good information. If they are even slightly better it will be worth a shot. Keep in mind we are only going for four to five laps so movement and other issues probably wont matter. I don't want to run slicks on the GT2RS because the test was to be stock against stock.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I received notice from Michelin that Cup Rs are not available. We will Run the best we can find!
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Just received confirmation from Frisby Tires that we will have Pirelli's for both cars. While I know many will have comments, we are going with the best we can. You can +/- time after the test on what you believe is the difference.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Foot soldier, or other locals near Spa;
Would it be fair to say a well driven, but not pro driven stock GT3RS goes 2:40?
Then a GT2RS on R, should go faster then 5 seconds faster? Even on a hot day?
No?

I would think a GT2RS or R is much more then 5 seconds faster then a GT3RS on just MPSC2..
991.2 gt3 is a 2:38 car at Spa with a good driver!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGT3
Just received confirmation from Frisby Tires that we will have Pirelli's for both cars. While I know many will have comments, we are going with the best we can. You can +/- time after the test on what you believe is the difference.
Ok so same tire, both cars then?

Or will the Cup be on some sort of race tire, while the RS on some sort of (sticky) street tire?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:54 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Looking to finalize logistics for event. Many thanks to David Murry, Road America, Pirelli, The Exchange and of course Bryan Sellers for helping gt this done. Now we can see how this car does on a track many of us are familiar with and against a car we know. May the best car win!!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:55 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Big thank you to Pirelli and Frisby tire for their support in this challenge. Trofeo R tires delivered and Slicks ready for Cup Car. Cars will be set up and ready for challenge. 650 miles on GT2RS in two weekends!! Break-in almost complete!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:03 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Push on Steve, it’s too good not to make happen.
Pretty crappy on Michelin’s part to not have Tires available months after Tires are used to set the Ring lap time.
Not cool. And stupid because this should be great marketing for the price of a set of Tires.

They gave me a set of tires for the Sebring shoot..
Pirelli isn’t the preferred tire but OK..

Understood on the lap times. They are just references to anticipate the Delta between the two.
Pirelli stepped up and already delivered Trofeo R tires for install just prior to event!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,333 Likes on 1,892 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Cool and refreshing thread. Tired of stitching colors... Cup should have motec data capture already? Vbox or aim in 2rs is what you need otw missed opportunity for us data geeks.
Last Cup to have MoTeC video was early 997 GT3 Cup. Late 997 GT3 Cups has MoTeC, but no video in that car like the ChaseCam in the earlier car. No video in the Cosworth card (2014 on) but German and GB series require VBOX and I’ve sold quite a few (as well as AiM SmartyCams) to US based teams and Club racers.

The VBOX would be the way to go, as that is what Porsche used for the ‘Ring laps of the GT2RS, the 919 and the 991.2 GT3RS. We used it at VIR for C+D Lightning laps for the latter two. Nizers video is the VBOX HD2 from Hockenheim.

If y’all were closer,I’d supply the equipment for the test. That would be fun.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 781 Posts

We got to have VBOX there.
you can use my Fedex acc# :-)

Lets make it happen!!

Im sure the driver will be interested to see his Delta time go up and down on the Racelogic display.

The UK boys should send you a ticket to go set it all up.
THIS WILL GO VIRAL.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Second that for VBox in both cars! This comparo may well become as one of the best vids of the 991 generation...
Old 08-19-2018, 02:21 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

This is brilliant - a fun comparison and thanks for putting it on.

FYI in case you haven’t used them. Trofeo R are really good semi clicks - I use them back to back with same driver on same day with Pirelli slicks at Bathurst in Australia. Car is modded 997.1 GT3. Did 2m 27s laps on trofeo R at 29 psi hot. Good at that pressure. No more. Then did 2 min 25s, with a little left in, it on new H compound Pirelli slicks.

One tip, I find the trofeo r are not good on their first heat cycle. Really slippery and average. Multiple sets have been the same. Then they cool, then the second session on and awesome.

Quick Reply: GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car