Sponsored by:

Value of PTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 03:42 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Value of PTS

As I was reading about PTS being on hold for now with current production, I started to wonder what value it adds to the car (obviously beyond the buyer’s preferred color and creating gorgeous specs).

Seems like PTS GT3s and .1RS are going for a huge premium over non PTS, so I wonder what I’m missing here. Is it a collectability thing?

Old 07-27-2018, 03:47 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Yes. PTS cars are unicorns
Old 07-27-2018, 03:54 PM
aruisdante
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a subset of the market that cares about saying they have a 1 of 1 (or at least, one of a number waaaay smaller than the ~1500 GT cars produced for each 991 run) vehicle, and knowing that if they go to a car show, there will not be another car like it. Those people are willing to pay a premium for that "exclusivity." This is the same reason you'll sometimes see posts by clients on this forum where they refuse to name the PTS color or full set of CXX options, because they do not want another example with the same specification produced.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:09 PM
GTSBoneDoc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aruisdante
There is a subset of the market that cares about saying they have a 1 of 1 (or at least, one of a number waaaay smaller than the ~1500 GT cars produced for each 991 run) vehicle, and knowing that if they go to a car show, there will not be another car like it. Those people are willing to pay a premium for that "exclusivity." This is the same reason you'll sometimes see posts by clients on this forum where they refuse to name the PTS color or full set of CXX options, because they do not want another example with the same specification produced.
The concept is great but I’d be agraid to drive a PTS car totally defeating the purpose of the car...
Old 07-27-2018, 04:26 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

I drive my Irish Green car a lot. 4500 miles on it. Love the color and people react to it very well.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:30 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Value, value ,puke
You liking the PTS color is the only factor.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:34 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

One part that's missing here is that many of the nicest, most historic colors are kept for PTS, so if you want a Signal Green or a Meissen Blue you don't have a choice. You're going PTS.

If they had a free Mexico Blue I'd be all over it, but... there's a reason there isn't a free Mexico Blue.

Personally I like the idea of somebody using PTS and CXX to create the perfect individual build for them. I think it's way cooler than people scouring Rennlist and Pelican for builds that appear to get good feedback and then carbon copying them just for the hope of better resale vs. getting exactly what they want for themselves. That screams of 'value pox'. If people keeping their builds under wraps until the last minute lessens that, then great. Keep up the good work.

Being able to get a chunk of the outlay back at sale certainly makes it an easier pill to swallow, but those who paid the hiked up $13K for PTS for the .2 GT3 had no certainty at the time that they'd be able to recoup that. It's a crazy chunk of change.

In terms of drivability, I'm getting PPF installed today and can't wait to get out and drive my Gulf Blue. I certainly wouldn't want to get a color I like less just so I'd be less concerned about driving it?? Also, many of the historic colors are UNI vs. metallic so little stone ships etc. are actually easier to touch up.

No reason not to get PTS if there's a color you want more than the standard offerings, and absolutely no reason not to enjoy it when you get it!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:37 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

PTS=stainless rolex

time will tell how the 991.x generation PTS will hold--but there is more PTS in these two generations than any other 911
Old 07-27-2018, 04:41 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

I don't get the idea of keeping your uber secret PTS, cxx, LTS car under wraps. who cares? just a damn car not a historic, pre-jesus, tapestry. assuming you can even get through all the hoops, red tape, and have even enough $$$ to get such a custom build, most will never have similar builds

only custom thing on my car is the color and houndstooth---didnt want to stretch my budget and my perssaonl tasted doesn't require white leather, pink vents, and 4 mismatched wheel colors......

Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 PM
orthodoc911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSBoneDoc
Seems like PTS GT3s and .1RS are going for a huge premium over non PTS
Huge is a relative term; but some of these data points may prove your point...

Sold:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ue-manual.html
Available:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ts-6sp-mt.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ng-yellow.html
Old 07-27-2018, 04:45 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
I don't get the idea of keeping your uber secret PTS, cxx, LTS car under wraps. who cares? just a damn car not a historic, pre-jesus, tapestry. assuming you can even get through all the hoops, red tape, and have even enough $$$ to get such a custom build, most will never have similar builds

The same people keeping their PTS secret, are the same people covering up their test answers with their arm in HS.
Ironically people keeping it secret are actually copying the person that already own that particular PTS color.
These people are "terds"
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0to60
The same people keeping their PTS secret, are the same people covering up their test answers with their arm in HS.
Ironically people keeping it secret are actually copying the person that all ready own that particular PTS color.
These people are "terds"
Old 07-27-2018, 04:58 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Like what you like. Get whatever car you want. Get whatever color you want. Have no regrets.

If your idea of fun is hiring somebody from the industry to spec your car for you in the most 'resellable' format, and then keeping it in bubble wrap or immediately flipping it then fair enough I guess. I just don't want to be you.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I ordered mine in PTS. The value was $12K
Old 07-27-2018, 05:17 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Like what you like. Get whatever car you want. Get whatever color you want. Have no regrets.

If your idea of fun is hiring somebody from the industry to spec your car for you in the most 'resellable' format, and then keeping it in bubble wrap or immediately flipping it then fair enough I guess. I just don't want to be you.
I rather have sex with my wife with a condom than store my car in bubble wrap

Quick Reply: Value of PTS