Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What questions do I ask a tire shop before letting them touch centerlocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:42 PM
helothere
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd just have 2 fronts replaced, and put the used ones up on craigslist to see if anyone would take them off your hands cheap

When the time comes at the end of the year, just replace the rears and keep on enjoying the car!
Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Typical green student tire wear. The fronts wear out faster than the rears.

Seriously. Rears normally wear out faster than fronts on these cars. If you are already this low on tread on the fronts I would double check the rears. Its also not only tread depth but heat cycles that will come into play here if you only replace the fronts. Hint: green student learning curve.
I don't know that the fronts have worn faster. Remember... the fronts aren't worn out. The tread is only half gone, meaning they're only 2/3rds worn. The only reason I'm replacing them is the puncture in one of them. I don't think the mismatch is a good idea and will keep the good one as a spare on the off chance this happens to me again.

Originally Posted by Palting
On another serious note, I'd have the alignment checked. Quite unusual for the fronts to wear out faster than the rear on these cars. You won't be the first here at RL where misalignment manifests as front wear before the rear.
I'm going to measure the rear tread to see whether it's any different. Really, I should probably have a track alignment done regardless. Now that the break-in period is done and most of the mileage will be on the track it only makes sense.

Originally Posted by helothere
I'd just have 2 fronts replaced, and put the used ones up on craigslist to see if anyone would take them off your hands cheap

When the time comes at the end of the year, just replace the rears and keep on enjoying the car!
One of the used ones is garbage. I can't sell an un-repairable tire with a puncture in it. The other will be kept as a spare though on the off chance I happen to go through this again and it's of any use.

Quick Reply: What questions do I ask a tire shop before letting them touch centerlocks?