Sponsored by:

PCCB Rotor scored - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:57 AM
QuickOne
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Default PCCB Rotor scored - what to do?

Just got back from a track event and found the below pictured scoring on my rear rotor. Not sure what happened, and it doesn't seem that anything is in the caliper at this point. Seems like it might have gotten a rock or something caught in it.

The scoring is light, but I can definitely feel it with my fingernail.

Any ideas on what to do? Is this rotor shot at this point and need replacement? I've been thinking about the AP Racing Radi-cal setup simply due to the track use and fragility of the PCCB. If this is actually enough to ruin it, I might advance that plan.

This is on a 991.1 GT3RS, btw.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Its fine, I had that happen a number of times, very light scoring. Did another 25 track days afterwards and the rotors continued to perform well.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:49 AM
QuickOne
Racer

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Its fine, I had that happen a number of times, very light scoring. Did another 25 track days afterwards and the rotors continued to perform well.
Great, thanks for the info.

How are your PCCB holding up to that much track use?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Switch to cast iron rotors now if you plan on continuing to track the car. Girodisc or AP J-hooks. If you want to stick with carbon ceramics, I’d give ST a try..Surface Transform CCM rotors. Why worry about this going forward.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:52 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same marks on 3 of my rotors and recently posted a thread on it. You might want to check your pads, just in case. I did find that over time the marks are beginning to fade away with more track driving
Old 07-07-2018, 01:15 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickOne
Just got back from a track event and found the below pictured scoring on my rear rotor. Not sure what happened, and it doesn't seem that anything is in the caliper at this point. Seems like it might have gotten a rock or something caught in it.

The scoring is light, but I can definitely feel it with my fingernail.

Any ideas on what to do? Is this rotor shot at this point and need replacement? I've been thinking about the AP Racing Radi-cal setup simply due to the track use and fragility of the PCCB. If this is actually enough to ruin it, I might advance that plan.

This is on a 991.1 GT3RS, btw.

Several threads on this. Rotor ok, check pads to make sure they are not the problem. If pads ok then good to go.
This is one reason why many opt out of PCCB for track use or do steel drop in replacements. Apex's system is a good fix if you want to got that deep. Otherwise do the AP or Giro disc drop in rotors.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 667 Likes on 371 Posts

Put them away for a rainy day! Our Radi-CAL iron system eliminates all of the nonsense associated with carbon ceramics, and weighs almost the same as the OEM PCCB setup. When you're done with our brake kit, you can sell it on the used market for 65-70% of your original investment. If the PCCB discs aren't too far gone at this point, swapping to the complete brake kit can retain some of their value, and your calipers will stay nice for when you sell the car. Let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for your consideration.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-finally.html
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 07-26-2018, 03:44 PM
QuickOne
Racer

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Put them away for a rainy day! Our Radi-CAL iron system eliminates all of the nonsense associated with carbon ceramics, and weighs almost the same as the OEM PCCB setup. When you're done with our brake kit, you can sell it on the used market for 65-70% of your original investment. If the PCCB discs aren't too far gone at this point, swapping to the complete brake kit can retain some of their value, and your calipers will stay nice for when you sell the car. Let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for your consideration.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...t-finally.html
Hi Jeff - I ordered these from Clark last week, they arrived on Monday. Will be installing them this weekend.

Decided that pedal feel was horrible on the PCCBs. And I loved this setup on my M4. Seemed like an easy solution.

Will post a review after I get them on
Old 07-26-2018, 03:57 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 667 Likes on 371 Posts

Awesome! I didn't realize that was you. I have a hard time keeping track of all of the real names and screen names. Thanks for the purchase (for the second time), and looking forward hearing how they do at VIR!

Originally Posted by QuickOne

Hi Jeff - I ordered these from Clark last week, they arrived on Monday. Will be installing them this weekend.

Decided that pedal feel was horrible on the PCCBs. And I loved this setup on my M4. Seemed like an easy solution.

Will post a review after I get them on
Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 28 Posts

If you want to convert from PCCB to steels, I have a set of used Girodisc steel replacement motors that came off my .1 turbo S that might fit for you. Very little track use on them before I traded the car in. They’re in great shape and at a great price for all four. Feel free to PM me
Old 08-05-2018, 06:01 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 739 Posts

Just took a look at my rotors after 500 miles and one is scored. I just assume it just happens and nothing out of the ordinary
Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 AM
QuickOne
Racer

I swapped out the PCCB for the AP setup - and holy crap is the pedal feel alive again! I'll have a better report after this weekend (more track time!), but so far it's night and day different. Ultimately, for my use case, this is a better option.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:28 AM
David Kang
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Girodisc rotors

Hi, are your Girodisc rotors still available? What are the part numbers for the front and rear rotors?

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by David Kang
Hi, are your Girodisc rotors still available? What are the part numbers for the front and rear rotors?

Thanks,
I have some for you and Ferodo DS 1.11 pads
PM me your email and I can send pics and part numbers

edit— I tried to PM you but it says you have chosen not to send/receive PM’s?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:17 PM
David Kang
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there, I just read your response. Are the rotors and pads still available? Thanks.

Quick Reply: PCCB Rotor scored - what to do?