Sponsored by:

What I learned driving a .2 GT3 at PEC LA

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:21 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What I learned driving a .2 GT3 at PEC LA

In LA for business this week and found myself with a free day today so I called up the Porsche Experience Center this morning and was lucky enough to snag a spot in their GT3 driving experience. As my GT3 is scheduled to arrive in November, I was particularly excited to get behind the wheel of my future car and to experience what this whole Porsche GT thing was all about. It was a fantastic experience and well worth the price of admission. In no particular order here are some things I learned that I wanted to share with the group:

1) Driving on “track” is so different from driving on the street that it is ridiculous that both are referred to as driving. I realize this is obvious to most of you here. I have driven all my adult life (I’m 37 now), but this was my first time on a closed track and it really surprised me at how physical and deliberate you had to be with the car. After my session I had felt like I had just left the gym. Also if you are trying to go fast around a track and not kill yourself, the mental focus required is really astonishing. Maybe that is more so for me because I'm a complete novice, but it gave me a newfound respect for you pro drivers out there. Also interesting is that merely understanding concepts such as line, turn in, lift off oversteer, trail braking, etc. are very different from actually applying them in a track setting.

2) The LWBS probably aren't for me. I had sat in them before and have them currently ordered in my .2 GT3 manual, however, after 90 minutes I pretty much concluded that for the type of driving I would mostly be doing, the sacrifice in comfort is not worth it for me. I occasionally want to take a long weekend drive with my wife and I can imagine the 6 hour drive from NY to montreal being a pain. Frankly, for me they weren't uncomfortable, but they weren't comfortable either. This goes to show you that you really cant just sit in them for 5 minutes at a dealership and know if they will work for you. I'm in relatively good shape and thought that most people complaining about them were just being babies, but yeah as much as I want to love them, I don't so I'm gonna change my build to sofas and save a couple grand (in this sense the PEC experience (~$925) actually saved me money). the LWBS did feel fantastically supportive going around the track though.

3) It made me question if I should change from a manual to a PDK. The PDK was fantastic and shifts were noticeably sharper than in my GTS, but the biggest thing that made me question whether I should go for PDK instead of the manual is because I could not imagine having to think about double clutch downshifting while simultaneously making sure I hit my braking point and following my line. Again this speaks to my complete lack of experience but frankly I was terrified enough just driving the car in full auto mode, I couldn't imagine throwing the whole clutch and shifter into the equation. That said, with my car I will be mostly doing street driving and the purpose of getting a manual is to feel more of a connection and have some more fun than I felt was missing in my PDK GTS. So maybe this isn't as big an issue as it seems right now.

4) launch control in the GT3 was a violent, visceral, and delightful experience. I've never experienced anything quite like that before. I have watched every youtube video on the GT3 and thought I was fully prepared for the volume and urgency of the 4.0 liter flat six at 9k, but nothing can really prepare you for what it actually feels and sounds like and how quickly you are at 120 mph. Its intoxicating but as others have said, on the street you can’t really enjoy this as much as you think because you will be traveling at felony speeds before you know it.

5) It is true when they say that a GT car is a different animal from a Carrera. You hear and feel a lot more in the GT3. Everything is sharpened and heightened in the experience that you kind of feel that even your own senses are dialed up a couple notches. You feel like you can see more, hear better, and even smell better. The car kind of forces you to be in a state of alertness. That was new for me and unexpected. Besides the engine (which is an obvious area of difference), the chassis felt so flat and stiff in turns, which was a dramatic difference from even Sport PASM in a GTS.5) The instructors are extremely skilled, patient, and very very brave. Sitting in the passenger seat of a 500 hp GT3 on a race track with a complete noob behind the wheel… If there was any criticism it would be that sometimes it was difficult for me to understand what exactly it was that my instructor wanted me to do, I was trying hard to pay attention to the directions he was giving me, but given the lack of time, I think they really do their best to cram as much info as they can in order to get you around the track as safely and quickly as possible. 6) The service at the restaurant is great 😉 and the food is very good 7) The experience actually gave me some second thoughts about whether the GT3 is the right car for me. Even around the small track that they have there, the GT3 felt like a lot of car. Particularly after seeing the instructor drive, it made me feel unworthy and like I didn’t even deserve to own a GT3. The instructor was of course very encouraging but going around the track I couldn’t help but feel like I really had a long way to go. Part of it is that I think that I was so focused on going fast and trying to improve my driving that I wasn’t really paying a ton of attention to how I felt about the car and how much I was actually just enjoying the experience of driving it and how it would be to drive on the street. To be fair, a normal “test drive” is not the purpose of the PEC and even a base Carrera would be far above my capabilities, but still if I’m honest with myself I find myself asking “should you own a race car if you can’t drive a race car?” Obviously there are plenty of people who never track their porsches and still enjoy the heck out of them (just as 98% of jeep wranglers never leave the pavement), and there is nothing wrong with that, I just cant help but feel like a bit of a poser. That last point is one I’m really giving a lot of thought to. I sold my .2 GTS because I wanted something more special, more fun, more exciting, more MORE. But can the “more” that I’m seeking be found in cars which are arguably more suitable for my intended purpose such as a DB11 or Targa GTS or AMG GT? Probably yes, but my heart still wants a GT3.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:30 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry not sure what happened to the formatting. here are some pics from the day

Old 06-29-2018, 01:41 AM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Go do the porsche driving school in Birmingham. Really well run, you’ll feel worthy of a GT3 after a couple days. Ive been several times and its more fun every time. Forces you up a steep learning curve quickly.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:51 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Frank,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have PEC delivery scheduled later this year. Don't let your experience at PEC deter you from owning the GT3, as likely majority of your driving time/experience will be on open roads as you pointed out.
Are you going to be doing PEC delivery ?
Jack
Old 06-29-2018, 02:04 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

PorscheFrank - thanks for the great insight. I am in much the same boat as you and I should do the same with a test drive at PEC LA, especially since I live in LA! I have the same concerns about the buckets and the manual transmission. Please let us know what your final configuration is, assuming you still get the GT3!
Old 06-29-2018, 02:12 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Funny enough I was there today with a couple of friends. Chalk GT3 at 4 pm. Dinner was quite good indeed. If this was your first time in a "track', I would second the advice of going to POrsche Driving School. PEC track is no comparison to a real track - it is just a good way to warm up to dinner with a couple of guys once in a while (I'm in LA). After a 3 day real driving course you will want the GT3.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:58 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
...Maybe that is more so for me because I'm a complete novice, but it gave me a newfound respect for you pro drivers out there. Also interesting is that merely understanding concepts such as line, turn in, lift off oversteer, trail braking, etc. are very different from actually applying them in a track setting.
...The instructors are extremely skilled, patient, and very very brave. Sitting in the passenger seat of a 500 hp GT3 on a race track with a complete noob behind the wheel… If there was any criticism it would be that sometimes it was difficult for me to understand what exactly it was that my instructor wanted me to do, I was trying hard to pay attention to the directions he was giving me, but given the lack of time, I think they really do their best to cram as much info as they can in order to get you around the track as safely and quickly as possible.
...The experience actually gave me some second thoughts about whether the GT3 is the right car for me. Even around the small track that they have there, the GT3 felt like a lot of car. Particularly after seeing the instructor drive, it made me feel unworthy and like I didn’t even deserve to own a GT3. The instructor was of course very encouraging but going around the track I couldn’t help but feel like I really had a long way to go.
These statements suggest that you're selling yourself short, and maybe entirely on the basis of a 90 minute instructed track session. These skills take longer than that to develop and even to just get to the point where you begin to enjoy improving them.

But, being a track novice and having an intimidating amount to learn, these have nothing to do whether the car is a right choice. It might be an expensive choice, if intended to be a track-only car. But even then you could do track days in other cars or karting to get past the steeper part of the learning curve.

If it's going to be more than just a track toy, then a single PEC session has even less value on whether the car is right for you. There are just too many other factors to consider
Old 06-29-2018, 04:01 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Great write up!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:31 AM
StealthGT3
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Great commentary about your first time at the track.
You probably lost a few pounds from all the adrenaline, I know I did my fist time.
If your GT3 will be 75% street 25% track go with he 6spd Manual. The engagement factor is lost with PDK, manual is a lot more fun and makes you one with the car.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[img
Old 06-29-2018, 01:35 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Frank great share , my recommendation , don't overthink it , get the GT3 with 18 way seat and stick , if you're not paying a big ADM you can easily move to
another car from that position should you find it's not your cup of tea , and thing is you need to drink some tea to find out , oh and the poser concern sharing as you just have negates that , to me posers are BS dudes , which you just clearly shared your heart felt PEC experience , Congrats fellow RL Member to you man, keepher coming !! my lowly .o2c.

Geez Porsche no end to buttering it up LOL

Last edited by R.Deacon; 06-29-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Don't worry - the current iteration of the GT3 is the most compliant and DD-friendly one yet.
No need to double clutch downshift, a simple hell-toe will work.
Order the car as you want it and enjoy!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Frank’s writeup is what makes RL so great! Sharing honest experiences that are entertaining and helpful to the community. Thanks!

Frank, I felt a lot like you when I got my 991.1 GT3, though I hadn’t driven one on track first. Felt like too much car, too frenetic on first impression. You get used to it.

Track is fun once a year (or more if you’re really into it), but best time you’ll have in GT3, IMO, is taking a few hours long drive through the hills or mountains on back country roads with plenty of twists and turns and no traffic in sight. While you’ll need to concentrate there, too, you won’t have anyone to “perform” for or race against, just you and the car, and you’ll bond with it.

Like another said, don’t over think it and don’t sell yourself short.

Join in us for Smokies GT next spring!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Why go all the way to 18 ways and not just get the standard 4 ways? The 4 ways are much lighter.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Why go all the way to 18 ways and not just get the standard 4 ways? The 4 ways are much lighter.
Do you know how much lighter they are?

Quick Reply: What I learned driving a .2 GT3 at PEC LA