Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you guys think this R is a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Can you not ... add the LWFW to a car that had the dual mass from the factory? Or is the part not available?
Old 06-07-2018, 11:13 PM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Can you not ... add the LWFW to a car that had the dual mass from the factory? Or is the part not available?
I would think that is possible, considering the 911R book states some owners did not like the noise created by SMFW and therefore had it changed to the LWFW. However this could have an impact on the value of said car as it was altered from the original spec.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:01 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
Ask CJ
Care to chime in about CNC CJ? Actually I think CJ is a gentleman/ diplomat and would probably advise to buy from an authorized P dealer

Jim
Old 06-08-2018, 03:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

nvm
Old 06-08-2018, 03:48 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why make buying decisions based on price? The price of something doesn't really matter, because it does not factor in the benefits to you. Make buying decisions based on the value of something, since that takes into account the price + the benefits.

Then ask yourself; "do you want it"? and "does it fit my budget"?

If something offers you value and fits within your budget, the price matters little.

It takes a while to get to this point in life, but makes it a lot less stressful.

And all good salespeople know the reverse is true when selling something. ie- focus on the benfits to the customer, and don't sell on price.
well said
buying a nice car it should make you happy to rack up the miles, the price of the car is dropping but the value in personal enjoyment is more than that
i daily drive my AMG gt s and it is really fun. I bought it new, it’s good to use it
Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Man, I haven't read the whole thread but I would definitely definitely buy a GT3 touring at $200k before an R without the SMF at $300k. The SMF is sort of the R's calling card from a driving experience perspective.. it's loud and Grindy and makes the engine spin up nicely. But without that, the R is just not that special (again, from a driving experience viewpoint).

I'd much rather go for the MUCH improved engine in the gt3 touring, more torque, more top end, just way better all around. I would not spend $100k extra on an R without it.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
I would think that is possible, considering the 911R book states some owners did not like the noise created by SMFW and therefore had it changed to the LWFW. However this could have an impact on the value of said car as it was altered from the original spec.
What if it doesn't have the original tank of gas, oil in the sump, brake pads, tires, etc.?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:34 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Man, I haven't read the whole thread but I would definitely definitely buy a GT3 touring at $200k before an R without the SMF at $300k. The SMF is sort of the R's calling card from a driving experience perspective.. it's loud and Grindy and makes the engine spin up nicely. But without that, the R is just not that special (again, from a driving experience viewpoint).

I'd much rather go for the MUCH improved engine in the gt3 touring, more torque, more top end, just way better all around. I would not spend $100k extra on an R without it.
100% agree. Or buy this R close to sticker and slap a SMF.

Happy days.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Rear camera requirement.

Easy to do delete anyway. Pull PCM and get delete shelf.
Only for US right? Other countries can still get radio delete.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:16 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
What if it doesn't have the original tank of gas, oil in the sump, brake pads, tires, etc.?
You know full well that's not how it works.

Cars without stripes and side decals (on the sticker) can fetch $10/15k less than cars with them, and that's a 3M decal package that you can purchase for less than $500 on the aftermarket, a little more if you want oem decals. Is that completely crazy that such a cheap and easy add-on can make such a big difference in price? Obviously. Yet it does. Now extrapolate that to a flywheel.

Again, if someone plans to keep the car for years and drive the crap out of it then all of this doesn't matter, just buy the cheapest iteration and modify at will ... but if this something that one plans to drive for a while and switch into something else without torching money for nothing, then they're better off paying a little more on the front end for the must have options.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea

Cars without stripes and side decals (on the sticker) can fetch $10/15k less than cars with them, and that's a 3M decal package that you can purchase for less than $500 on the aftermarket, a little more if you want oem decals. Is that completely crazy that such a cheap and easy add-on can make such a big difference in price? Obviously. Yet it does. Now extrapolate that to a flywheel.

Again, if someone plans to keep the car for years and drive the crap out of it then all of this doesn't matter, just buy the cheapest iteration and modify at will ... but if this something that one plans to drive for a while and switch into something else without torching money for nothing, then they're better off paying a little more on the front end for the must have options.
Whether the whole oem stuff makes sense or not to us doesn't matter. All that matters (from a resale standpoint) is what the collectors think. And for them, this stuff matters. A lot.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Whether the whole oem stuff makes sense or not to us doesn't matter. All that matters (from a resale standpoint) is what the collectors think. And for them, this stuff matters. A lot.
So, I want to know.. WHO ARE these crazy *****?
Old 06-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
Originally Posted by soulsea

Ok I have another solution then:

Buy a car w/o LWFW
Buy LWFW and replace part (perhaps $5K all in? Maybe pay a little more to have it done at the stealer - reassuringly expensive)
Drive car (maybe)
Switch back to factory fitted flywheel when time to sell to another collector
Use lightweight flywheel as desk ornament
Old 06-08-2018, 06:50 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, I want to know.. WHO ARE these crazy *****?
Lol, not you and I. After I bent the corner on a 1987 Michael Jordan basketball card, my parents told me I can never collect stuff.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
nvm
You talking dirty again Mooty?

J

Quick Reply: Do you guys think this R is a good deal?