Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 Porsche 911 GT3 991.2 GT3 Break-in report…

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I love the car as well, But my main complaint at the moment is that even with the NAV voice guidance volume all the way up, it's still not loud enough to hear over the engine haha.

That and the A/C always turns on when with the ignition. Wish everything would default to off.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Enjoyed reading your initial impressions - agree with your honest assessments across the board, they capture nearly all of my same feelings for the GT3. Definitely a compromised daily driver for me but the best car I've had the pleasure of owning/driving. Also have a P90D Model X and agree the two cars are actually complementary and both do their "intended purpose" very very well. The power band for the 4.0 was surprising to me that it feels more turbo "like" than linear *to me* with a surge around 3800 and then 6000 RPM from the butt dyno. Miss having the boost from a turbo engine when cruising at highway speeds, but the sound/wail of the 4.0 is intoxicating...

What's funny is that with the 991.2 I'm just happy they added CarPlay, having that functionality is a game changer for me and the first thing I do getting in my car is plugging my iPhone in for the nav + Spotify.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:06 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I love the car as well, But my main complaint at the moment is that even with the NAV voice guidance volume all the way up, it's still not loud enough to hear over the engine haha.

That and the A/C always turns on when with the ignition. Wish everything would default to off.
Doesn't the A/C default to whatever the last setting was since there is no seat memory? In my C4 the A/C settings default to the "key" setting with seat memory, in my GT3 I thought it would just set up everything the way the car was when it was last on, could be mistaken.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I'm fine with the white dials and I would do it again - but then again I"m less fussy in this space that other people - I prefer them over the standard or the red dials…at the end of the day this is a very personal choice, but I like them - besides most of the time I"m looking for the apex just before turn in ;-)
Thanks for the info. BTW, I pulled your GT3 up on the configurator and is very nicely spec’ed....Enjoy and drive in the best of health.

Are you going to closely following the 2K break-in recommendations?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:06 PM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I noticed the fan always turns on with ignition as well (not the A/C though). Pretty annoying in my book. I wish it defaulted to off. Anyone know how to change this or is that not even possible?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:25 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
What's funny is that with the 991.2 I'm just happy they added CarPlay, having that functionality is a game changer for me and the first thing I do getting in my car is plugging my iPhone in for the nav + Spotify.
The thing I don't like about CarPlay is that the car and the phone are always showing the same app. This means I can't have Waze on the phone and Spotify on the car screen. When I have Waze on the phone the car screen always shows the app icons which is useless (Waze doesn't have a CarPlay app). That's why I use the iPod setting instead and usually switch the Porsche menu to Media so I can see the current song / album art and use the previous/next buttons to navigate the playlist I currently have in Spotify, all while having Waze on the phone screen at the same time.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Great review.

I concur with all that you conveyed. Great weekend warrior for me but not a car i would enjoy DD
Old 05-25-2018, 11:49 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,928 Posts

1st day at the track with this beauty - Steel Brakes (PCCB's stored away for future buyer - no track miles!) - Roll Bar, harnesses, street brake pads, Factory Alignment Dunlop tires - 2:01.39 not a bad lap time for thunderhill, but personally disappointed I couldn't get below 2:00 (had another driver take car out , he also couldn't get below 2:01.xx and he's a former Pirelli 2016 champion in 991.1 cup car - so he knows how to drive.

110% impressed with this car - it's a huge upgrade over the .1 - less understeer, better power band, better RWS, and the PDK is magic - I can't say enough good things about this GT3 highly recommend it - it just such a fabulous car - the ABS on this car is very subtle and has a great feel for threshold braking. All in all I'm simply thrilled with the car and Porsche is to be commended on an all around upgrade.

I am NOT impressed with the Dunlops - they lack the bite of the Michelins and slide a lot - very controllable, not a bad tire, but I don't feel I was getting the best out of the tires, and some of the braking distances were disappointing towards the end of the sessions when they were really hot. Once I've consumed the Dunlops I'm putting some Michelins on the car and we'll see how that goes - I can't wait, but for the mean time I'll consume the tires I have. I'm in no hurry, plenty of track days and we're not racing!!! Just having fun.

One lesson from the day - wind buffeting is a REAL issue with this car with both windows down (standard HPDE safety practice) - I'm going to try some of the AWE wind buffeting plastic bits to see if that fixes the problem - I'll report from the next track day!!! But it's really really bad…and something needs to be done.

video link of my best lap from the day - enjoy!

Old 05-25-2018, 12:15 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Great review.

I concur with all that you conveyed. Great weekend warrior for me but not a car i would enjoy DD
I put about 4 hours in my GT3 each day since this past Saturday. No problems at all.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent writeup! One of the best I've seen so far, enjoy the car and put it to good use! : )
Old 05-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
1st day at the track with this beauty - Steel Brakes (PCCB's stored away for future buyer - no track miles!) - Roll Bar, harnesses, street brake pads, Factory Alignment Dunlop tires - 2:01.39 not a bad lap time for thunderhill, but personally disappointed I couldn't get below 2:00 (had another driver take car out , he also couldn't get below 2:01.xx and he's a former Pirelli 2016 champion in 991.1 cup car - so he knows how to drive.

110% impressed with this car - it's a huge upgrade over the .1 - less understeer, better power band, better RWS, and the PDK is magic - I can't say enough good things about this GT3 highly recommend it - it just such a fabulous car - the ABS on this car is very subtle and has a great feel for threshold braking. All in all I'm simply thrilled with the car and Porsche is to be commended on an all around upgrade.

I am NOT impressed with the Dunlops - they lack the bite of the Michelins and slide a lot - very controllable, not a bad tire, but I don't feel I was getting the best out of the tires, and some of the braking distances were disappointing towards the end of the sessions when they were really hot. Once I've consumed the Dunlops I'm putting some Michelins on the car and we'll see how that goes - I can't wait, but for the mean time I'll consume the tires I have. I'm in no hurry, plenty of track days and we're not racing!!! Just having fun.

One lesson from the day - wind buffeting is a REAL issue with this car with both windows down (standard HPDE safety practice) - I'm going to try some of the AWE wind buffeting plastic bits to see if that fixes the problem - I'll report from the next track day!!! But it's really really bad…and something needs to be done.

video link of my best lap from the day - enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/271876058
Absolutely true. The whole inside shudders at speed with windows down, actually worse with only 1 window down.

AWE plastic or CF bits appear to work fine by other reports, but I didn't like the idea of taking the trim down inside and out on my 2 month old GT3. Here are some other options.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12153597 . Post #44 onward. Went out and did it after the first day at DE and used it the next day. This one was quick, easy, stealthy, worked very well, and very cheap. Stays on even over 150mph, but can be put on and taken off at will, easily.

http://www.blackmillperformance.com/ . Just installed this this week, so have not tried it yet. Reportedly works very well, certainly looks more "finished" than the above, and also no taking trim down. More obvious, though. If it doesn't work well, I may take it off and go back to the above.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:44 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arek
The thing I don't like about CarPlay is that the car and the phone are always showing the same app. This means I can't have Waze on the phone and Spotify on the car screen. When I have Waze on the phone the car screen always shows the app icons which is useless (Waze doesn't have a CarPlay app). That's why I use the iPod setting instead and usually switch the Porsche menu to Media so I can see the current song / album art and use the previous/next buttons to navigate the playlist I currently have in Spotify, all while having Waze on the phone screen at the same time.
Agreed, it's definitely not perfect but better than nothing is the way I look at it, or better than it was for the 991.1. Apple Maps is a POS IMO, so I wish Waze or Google Maps was compatible with CarPlay and I'd be ok with single app shown between PCM and iPhone. But it's still better than the OEM PCM nav, and being able to use the Apple nav + Spotify through the PCM is nice, while charging the phone..
Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Agreed, it's definitely not perfect but better than nothing is the way I look at it, or better than it was for the 991.1. Apple Maps is a POS IMO, so I wish Waze or Google Maps was compatible with CarPlay and I'd be ok with single app shown between PCM and iPhone. But it's still better than the OEM PCM nav, and being able to use the Apple nav + Spotify through the PCM is nice, while charging the phone..
Not to go too far off topic, but in our Macan with Connect+ I am able to hot spot my phone for data connection to the PCM. This then enables the PCM Nav to have Google Earth view, Google On-line search, and live traffic. Pretty awesome and IMHO is much better than Waze and of course significantly better than Apple Maps. Eliminates the need for Google Maps. No subscription required, just a live data connection.

So, is this feature not available on our PCM in the .2 GT3?
Old 05-28-2018, 05:13 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

^ TBH I have no idea lol. I tried setting up Connect+ on my .2 C4 last year for that functionality and from a user experience perspective it was God awful. Plus if it's a monthly subscription, I'm too cheap...
Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

Not to go too far off topic, but in our Macan with Connect+ I am able to hot spot my phone for data connection to the PCM. This then enables the PCM Nav to have Google Earth view, Google On-line search, and live traffic. Pretty awesome and IMHO is much better than Waze and of course significantly better than Apple Maps. Eliminates the need for Google Maps. No subscription required, just a live data connection.

So, is this feature not available on our PCM in the .2 GT3?
The .2 GT3 PCM now has the data service included with the connect services. Unlike our 17 Macan S with connect+, you need to do the hotspot off the phone or add the sim to your ATT account. So, Porsche has actually improved things. Nice to have google traffic, maps, online searching and map updates (mine updated the other day). The first year of the connect services are free, after that you have to buy a subscription, same as the Macan.

Quick Reply: '18 Porsche 911 GT3 991.2 GT3 Break-in report…