Sponsored by:

Exhaust note with PSE on/off and the vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 02:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Joe I’d consider removing the zip tie of the loop so it can flex / expand length freely.
Will do. Thanks
Old 05-14-2018, 09:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Same thing here. Left side vac line keeps popping off ! Been to dealer once, but not fixed !
Old 05-14-2018, 04:30 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 170 Posts

Same here. Mine came off. I couldn't get it back on with the metal clamp there and ended up taking it off and using a zip tie. It made it through a full day at the track without coming off again but I plan to ask the dealer to replace my zip tie with a proper clamp next time I'm there.

Originally Posted by gago1101
I’m capping the line for now since I like the extra sound.
Oh hell no!! Mine came off during a track day. The drive home was AWFUL for sound. Porsche has some witchcraft going on top open the valves when it will benefit the sound and close them when it won't. As pondered by the OP, it's not entirely clear what the algorithms are but they definitely work and you definitely don't want it open all the time. Just cruising along at 110 to 120 km/h in 6th gear the drone was nearly unbearable. Nobody could think that was a good thing.

After getting home, figuring out the issue, and re-attaching the line, I knew immediately when heading back to the track on Sunday that I'd solved the problem and just hoped it would stay attached.

You can do this little experiment to hear the difference.

Get up to 100 km/h or so in 6th gear and mash the throttle. You'll notice the sound change very obviously right at 119 or 120 km/h. Do it with PSE on and then do it again with PSE off. With PSE off you won't get the change.

Now, that loudness is awesome when you've got the throttle buried. It's exciting. We want that.

Without the throttle buried, just puttering along with the cruise control on, at any speed, you DO NOT WANT THAT!!
Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Porsche should issue a cheap recall to just replace the hose with a longer version so it doesn't keep getting pulled off from movement in the exhaust system.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

My vacuum line are disconnected and plugged. Best Mod ever did.

If you read the Manual you will also get the benefit of extra torque when valves open so why not always leave them open??
Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with you Jimmy, best mod! Some tracks though, like Laguna Seca, have sound restrictions. As Joe mentioned, his .2 was too loud with the PSE open. Another issue is the freeway drone, but I do not drive imy car on the freeways often, and if I do, I do not mind the drone
Old 05-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Nope. Sounds awful with it off when you're driving around like a civilized person.

Some might not care... but anyone considering this should at least be aware.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:53 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Nope. Sounds awful with it off when you're driving around like a civilized person.

Some might not care... but anyone considering this should at least be aware.
I guess that could be the case. But I, for one, do not drive my GT3 like a civilized person.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:00 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This valve is there to pass certification for noise. Nothing less nothing more. It’s usless if you push car beyond 3500-4000rpm as it’s always open.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:36 PM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts

Weasel, maybe only one line disconnected does give that strange sound sensation (since only the driver´s side tends to fall off). I had both lines blocked and the lines reattached, as the
permanent on/off even with PSE on really annoyed me. I did so by screwing in a short 6mm socket grub srew right into the rubber line and attaching the lines again. The grub screws can be
easily removed by just wreching in the opposite direction if desired, a matter of 5 minutes.

Absolutely great sound for a stock exhaust with no drone whatsoever and still tame when taking it easy, absolutely neigbourhood-friendly.

After installing a soul performance center delete, I felt the need to re-activate the system since it was too loud, at least all the time. For whatever reason, the annoying PSE on/off
is by far not as noticeable in this setup. Perfect for my taste now with a much wider spread than stock.

Peter
Old 05-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by gago1101
I guess that could be the case. But I, for one, do not drive my GT3 like a civilized person.
I endorse this attitude 100%.

FWIW though, I noticed mine malfunctioning on my way home from the track. That's the part of the day where you're all jacked up with adrenaline but you know the cops are out looking for the people leaving the track so you need to be on your best behaviour.

Originally Posted by qbix
This valve is there to pass certification for noise. Nothing less nothing more. It’s usless if you push car beyond 3500-4000rpm as it’s always open.
I disagree, based on the obvious difference it made on mine. I'm sure it doesn't make a lick of difference when you're driving enthusiastically, but when you're not, it makes a big difference.

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
Weasel, maybe only one line disconnected does give that strange sound sensation (since only the driver´s side tends to fall off). I had both lines blocked and the lines reattached, as the
permanent on/off even with PSE on really annoyed me. I did so by screwing in a short 6mm socket grub srew right into the rubber line and attaching the lines again. The grub screws can be
easily removed by just wreching in the opposite direction if desired, a matter of 5 minutes.

Absolutely great sound for a stock exhaust with no drone whatsoever and still tame when taking it easy, absolutely neigbourhood-friendly.

After installing a soul performance center delete, I felt the need to re-activate the system since it was too loud, at least all the time. For whatever reason, the annoying PSE on/off
is by far not as noticeable in this setup. Perfect for my taste now with a much wider spread than stock.

Peter
Interesting. I honestly had no idea there was another one on the other side.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:11 PM
rsms
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound this car makes in 3rd at 4.2k is something very special.

I'd be interested in adjusting the PSE button to—when activated—keep the valves open all the time.
That way I can disable it on freeways and laguna, but keep it open for that music when enjoying mountain twisties at moderate speeds.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:55 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I disagree, based on the obvious difference it made on mine. I'm sure it doesn't make a lick of difference when you're driving enthusiastically, but when you're not, it makes a big difference.

Yes, this is exactly what I said. For noise certification car needs to run at certain speed while noise levels are measured and this is when the valve helps. If you push the car it will open regardless of the switch position.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The drive home was AWFUL for sound. Porsche has some witchcraft going on top open the valves when it will benefit the sound and close them when it won't. As pondered by the OP, it's not entirely clear what the algorithms are but they definitely work and you definitely don't want it open all the time. Just cruising along at 110 to 120 km/h in 6th gear the drone was nearly unbearable. Nobody could think that was a good thing.
Exactly the same here. I get a massive head ache from that drone that seems to vibrate your brain and vision to the point of meltdown.
It is NOT the same sound you get with both vac lines attached and Sport activated. Or I'm kidding myself and just had a bad day :-)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by bccars
Exactly the same here. I get a massive head ache from that drone that seems to vibrate your brain and vision to the point of meltdown.
It is NOT the same sound you get with both vac lines attached and Sport activated. Or I'm kidding myself and just had a bad day :-)
Nah. I'm with you. It was terrible.

Quick Reply: Exhaust note with PSE on/off and the vacuum line