Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OEM Sized 20" Hoosiers for GT3 (WARNING PIC HEAVY)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 02:27 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Good stuff. Any word on if and when A7s will be availability these sizes?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 737 Posts

Thanks Dave, good stuff!

a little off topic, I’m running 295/30/10 345/30/19 R7 on RS

even with -3.3 camber front I corded the outer edge after 8 20 minute sessions yesterday. That’s flipping wheels side to side. Wear is good across the tire.

the rears wear great.
The following users liked this post:
Samson911 (08-14-2020)
Old 05-13-2018, 06:20 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks Dave, good stuff!

even with -3.3 camber front I corded the outer edge after 8 20 minute sessions yesterday. That’s flipping wheels side to side. Wear is good across the tire.

the rears wear great.
I have had same issues with my MSC2’s in the past. Some tracks like Barber are rough on left front. How were your tire pressures? I have prematurely corded outer edges by running my pressures on the low side. It improved bringing my hot pressures up about 3 psi in the front from 31-34.

I ran New 20” Hoosiers with a 265 fr and 335rear setup at NCM about 3 weeks ago in my.1 GT3. I was super impressed with performance. I managed a 214.1 lap my first time at NCM in the GT3. Unfortunately I don’t have any laps at NCM to compare to the MSC2’s, but several friends said that was a good lap time. I will have a chance to run them at Road Atlanta in 2 weeks and can compare lap times. I had very little rubbing of the fronts at NCM with the 265 fr setup.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 737 Posts

Thanks

i go out 22 to get to about 32 at the end of the session.
Pressures keep climbing as I cook the tires, trying to go faster with tires going off.

so it kinda depends, out lap 22 1st lap 25 2nd lap 28 and the first flyer usually makes them 30+

Ill see if I can go higher, I maybe confusing high PSI grip drop off with fried tires.

Look forward to Road Atlanta laps.
I only took purple here once but couldn’t get comfortable on iffy tires. Need to go back...
Old 05-13-2018, 08:07 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Good stuff. Any word on if and when A7s will be availability these sizes?
Yes, they will be making A7's in the 20" sizes at a future date, however they have not confirmed which 20" sizes will get the A7 compound just yet.

Thanks Dave, good stuff!

the rears wear great.
Yeah, Hoosier has recommended to start quite a bit higher cold psi, and looking for closer to 38psi hot. I'm also a big fan of switching tires side to side, I typically will do 2 sessions, and then swap side to side for next 2 sessions.

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Cant wait for your update on how the R7's did. I'm itching to try em
Thanks, me too! Goes in for alignment Tuesday and I'll be running it this Saturday/Sunday!

Originally Posted by jadski

I ran New 20” Hoosiers with a 265 fr and 335rear setup at NCM about 3 weeks ago in my.1 GT3. I was super impressed with performance. I managed a 214.1 lap my first time at NCM in the GT3. Unfortunately I don’t have any laps at NCM to compare to the MSC2’s, but several friends said that was a good lap time. I will have a chance to run them at Road Atlanta in 2 weeks and can compare lap times. I had very little rubbing of the fronts at NCM with the 265 fr setup.
Good to hear about the very little rubbing with the 265 front. I was unsure, so wanted to try the oem 245 Hoosier. Do you have any pics of where the rubbing occurs

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 05-13-2018, 09:21 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I have had same issues with my MSC2’s in the past. Some tracks like Barber are rough on left front. How were your tire pressures? I have prematurely corded outer edges by running my pressures on the low side. It improved bringing my hot pressures up about 3 psi in the front from 31-34.

what camber are you running front and rear with your hoosiers?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:29 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

"Yeah, Hoosier has recommended to start quite a bit higher cold psi, and looking for closer to 38psi hot. I'm also a big fan of switching tires side to side, I typically will do 2 sessions, and then swap side to side for next 2 sessions.

Thanks, me too! Goes in for alignment Tuesday and I'll be running it this Saturday/Sunday!"

Let us know your alignment settings when you get it done too.....I'm curious to see how much camber is needed for the R7's - have fun this weekend!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:43 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Dave, good stuff!

the rears wear great.

"Yeah, Hoosier has recommended to start quite a bit higher cold psi, and looking for closer to 38psi hot. I'm also a big fan of switching tires side to side, I typically will do 2 sessions, and then swap side to side for next 2 sessions.

Thanks, me too! Goes in for alignment Tuesday and I'll be running it this Saturday/Sunday!"

Let us know your alignment settings when you get it done too.....I'm curious to see how much camber is needed for the R7's - have fun this weekend!
Camber settings are max factory settings which I believe are 2.25fr and 2.5r.

I rubbed a lot more with 265 MSC’2 until I rubbed a small hole with Michelin’s. The Hoosiers hardly rub at all. Some of the decreased rub may be due to the already present wear on the inner left front fender liner created by the 265 Michelin’s
Old 05-13-2018, 10:23 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

You got it, sounds good! Hoping for 2.2 to 2.5 maxed out in the front, and then will run .2 less than the front in the rear. I'll post where we end up mid week.

Camber settings are max factory settings which I believe are 2.25fr and 2.5r.
I rubbed a lot more with 265 MSC’2 until I rubbed a small hole with Michelin’s. The Hoosiers hardly rub at all. Some of the decreased rub may be due to the already present wear on the inner left front fender liner created by the 265 Michelin’s
Yeah, I'm sure the MSC2's wore a bit 'more' away than the Hoosier would have, as the Michelin's seem to be a fair bit larger like for like. I'll post pics of my inner fenders following the event and see if any rubbing occurs with the OEM sized Hoosier front.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 05-14-2018, 02:46 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Thumbs up for the good info!

I learned that it's important to look at the manufacturer's spec sheet when trying out new tires. The discrepancies can be YUUUUGE esp. as it comes to race rubber. Case in point, Yokos are often 10% wider than Pirellis for the same "305" section rubber, and Mich quotes that size as a "31" even though it's narrower than the Pirelli 305...
Old 05-14-2018, 01:41 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Yes, they will be making A7's in the 20" sizes at a future date, however they have not confirmed which 20" sizes will get the A7 compound just yet.
If you could ask them when this would be available that would be much appreciated. I'm ordering wheels; I'll get 20s if A6s in the correct sizes are available.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Slicks are not DOT legal. Hoosier R7's are a DOT legal street tire. While Hoosier has gotten their 'DOT' street tire, looking very closely to a slick, it isn't one. Hoosier/Pirellii/Michelin 'Slicks' have considerably more grip.
Tire Rack disagrees with you. Under their description of the R7:

WARNING: DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire, including DOT tires, on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:50 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

I wouldn’t drive Hoosier on the road, but it is not a slick. It is still a DOT tire.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:17 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I run 265 & 325;s on my gt3 and lately I have been trying all different pressures from low 30's to 40 hot. My findings have been confusing to say the least I have run best laps at opposite ends of the range, we also looked at tire temps trying to level temps across the tire. For me it comes down to what type of track I'm running and adjusting sway bars to manage front tire wear on outer edge.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:09 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Originally Posted by 452gt3
I run 265 & 325;s on my gt3 and lately I have been trying all different pressures from low 30's to 40 hot. My findings have been confusing to say the least I have run best laps at opposite ends of the range, we also looked at tire temps trying to level temps across the tire. For me it comes down to what type of track I'm running and adjusting sway bars to manage front tire wear on outer edge.
I'll look to providing some additional feedback after we go out this weekend. But I'll share that the 'more pressure' you can get away with running, and 'still be fast'... is the best thing for the 'tires'. Air Pressure is 'coolant' for a tire... and they will stay cooler with more air, but at some point you lose traction.

Best Regards,
Dave

Quick Reply: New OEM Sized 20" Hoosiers for GT3 (WARNING PIC HEAVY)