Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just another Manual vs PDK thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:30 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Love driving a manual. Tore the auto out of my 68 Camaro and replaced it with a 4 speed. Bought new 987 in 05, 5MT. Bought new 987CS 07, 6MT. However, when ordering my BGTS, spec'd PDK and not going back. Manuals may be more fun to drive, but PDK is faster. You don't have to like it, but that's reality. Do you want to be slower? I don't, but maybe you do. PDK and PTV are amazing ... worth the price if you want to be as fast as possible.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

If tracking then PDK with wing, if not then Manual with Touring pack. Manual more fun on road and PDK faster on track. I have had both and love to track so PDK in my RS and 3 pedals in my Touring for the street. I found the PDK very boring on the street yet my Touring is one of the most fun cars just because of how great the engine is and with the manual gearbox just a riot at legal speeds.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 AM
heaven_inc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Manual owners, do you ever feel like you're not exploring all of the rev range (or less of it) due to the gearbox? Do you ever feel guilty for causing excessive wear by shifting at high rpm? Does anyone think 9k RPM is too much for this gear box? Do any manual owners miss launching the car?

PDK owners, do you ever get bored? Does anyone else (besides me) dislike the look of the PDK shifter? Are there any PDK owners who would consciously choose a GT3 over an RS if they had access to both? I wonder if any PDK owners view their car as a keeper, not just something to hold them over till the next best thing comes out?

So far it seems like everyone is happy with their choice, is there no one who was on the fence like me and still has doubts about their pick?
Old 04-27-2018, 11:01 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by heaven_inc

Manual owners, do you ever feel like you're not exploring all of the rev range (or less of it) due to the gearbox? Do you ever feel guilty for causing excessive wear by shifting at high rpm? Does anyone think 9k RPM is too much for this gear box? Do any manual owners miss launching the car?

PDK owners, do you ever get bored? Does anyone else (besides me) dislike the look of the PDK shifter? Are there any PDK owners who would consciously choose a GT3 over an RS if they had access to both? I wonder if any PDK owners view their car as a keeper, not just something to hold them over till the next best thing comes out?

So far it seems like everyone is happy with their choice, is there no one who was on the fence like me and still has doubts about their pick?
I was on the fence until I got my RS allocation. If only one i would always go RS.......always go RS! If I had to have one car I would get PDK because I love to go to track days. If I had only one street car I would have a manual because it's just more fun on mountain drives. I don't worry about excess rpms and I still rev it all the up to the limit when able. I do think we will see some issues with the clutch after heavy track use over the PDK just because that is the nature of electronic control over human control, but we shall see.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

I wasn't going to chime in on this one until I saw this comment.

There's no wrong choice here. Get what you want. You'll be happy.

If this is what's giving you second thoughts over the manual though... just stop right there. The manual is made for this car. It was designed for this car. It can handle the high rpm. It's MEANT to be shifted at high rpm. There's no excessive wear there. There's nothing to be guilty about. And you can launch the car as hard as you like. There's even a launch control mode just like the PDK has if that's what gives you giggles.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:25 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

PDK, happy, no regret !
The following users liked this post:
Captain_ (02-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:25 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Never bored with PDK. Love the look of the shifter. Screams quality in your hand imo. I would pick my GT3 over the RS all day long. I prefer the beauty of the GT3 over the more “loud” design elements of the RS. Porsche nailed the design of the .1 GT3. Definitely a long-term keeper. Have you seen my thread about my road to 100k miles?

25,801 and counting. Today looks sunny!

Old 04-27-2018, 11:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

If i add up the pros of both transmissions....

Manual:

- Has that old school character. This was how it used to be done.
- Possibly the best (and one of the last) manual transmissions ever built.
- Auto rev matching is a great training tool for heel/toe noobs
- Just seems like a GT3 and manual are meant to be.
- Car is crazy fast when equipped with it.
- Great on track. Great on street.

PDK:

- State-of-the-art modern dual clutch transmission. The latest go fast technology.
- Possibly the best dual clutch transmission ever built.
- Multiple ways to engage. Full auto, sport (for track), or fully manual.
- Just seems like the GT3 and PDK are meant to be.
- Car is crazy fast when equipped with it.
- Great on track. Great on street.

Either way I know I would be happy. And if i had one and switched to the other, lots of smiles while occasionally missing the other.
The following users liked this post:
991C2S88 (02-19-2021)
Old 04-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

LOL. I think you'll find your answers in the previous posts, here and in other threads. Those that have the PDK love it, those that have the manual love it. For those that have both, some will find the PDK boring on occasion, some will find the manual a nuisance on occasion. You'll just have to chose. And trust me, the car is so good, it really won't matter. You will love whatever choice you make . BTW, my PDK winged GT3 is a keeper for me.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:51 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if one can afford to have 2 cars, one with PDK, the other with manual.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:41 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What are your goals with the car? I have driven both extensively. Both Fantastic. I ordered the PDK.

My goals, drive as much as possible, SoCal = PDK
Mix up events with Racing (Cup Car/door to door/trailer, maximum effort) and Time Trials (GT3, drive to and from event, less logistical effort, no possibility of a money shift $$$$$)
Fastest configuration = PDK and PCCBs - PDK at least 7 tenths /Sec faster - that is huge, - PCCBs -WORLD of difference in performance - completely different car and requires much different driving behavior.
I already have 2 manual cars, 993 and Cup.

Have fun and match your configuration with your goal, you surely will enjoy your GT3!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As amazing as the PDK- and it is amazing- I just couldn't order one for a car intended for driving enjoyment without a serious left foot or right arm injury.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:04 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

So it looks like it will a toss coin for you. Both wins unless you lost the coin during the toss.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:12 PM
OKGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the manual and have around 1,500 miles clocked. I will say that this transmission is a little less engaging than older manuals... with rev match and an assisted clutch it damn near drives itself. I really enjoy it and the gearbox is amazing, but seeing all the videos of the PDK and it's ease of use does create intrigue. (Also I've never driven a PDK GT car).

My thinking was, if I only get the chance for one GT car allocation... I want a manual, but if I get the chance for a 992 or RS down the road I will be pumped for the PDK.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

No problem at all to use all the revs (especially once past the first shift). No more wear than shifting a PDK at 9k. 9k is not too much for the gearbox. Manual does have Launch control, so nothing to miss if that's your thing.

Quick Reply: Just another Manual vs PDK thread