Sponsored by:

GT3 or...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:18 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 or...?

Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum but have been reading for some time now. I don’t own a Porsche but am thinking hard to get one very soon. I really want a 991 GT3. I test drove one along with a 911 Turbo, a Turbo S, and a GTS. I loved the raw feeling of the GT3 and all the sounds it made. The Turbo/S was a rocket but felt less involving to me. I wasn’t liking the sound on it at all honestly. The rear seats are very appealing though because I have a 3 year old but don’t know how functional they would really be. Do I buy a 991.1 now or search for a 991.2? Is the GT3 suitable for around town? I don’t track so it would be driven on New York roads. I know the ADM’s are a bit ridiculous as demand is high but the .2 seems like a greatly improved car overall. Do you guys think there will be some used .2s coming on the maket soon for a “fair” price? Will these markups eventually get lower?Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Oh and a side note... the R8 V10 plus has caught my attention recently too. I’d have to take a look it. It seems like a good all around sports car.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum. As with all things in life the answer to all your questions is "it depends". That said if I didn't have to have a manual then I'd be looking hard at a 991.1 GT3 RS or .1 GT3. Are the best for around town? No. But I don't think they are as bad as some make them out to be. It depends on your personal perspective.

Many .2 GT3s are available now. "Fair price" also depends on your perspective.

Word of advice though, if you don't want to pay the bigger bucks for the .2 GT3, get the .1 ASAP and I guarantee you will love it. I found that I myself list over the latest and greatest especially when surfing the web and on rennlist, but when you are actually in the car driving I bet that you won't think you are missing out on anything... unless you want a manual.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

New York. Toyota 4runner.

I kid.

You can get a great deal on a .1 GT3. If you don't need standard, they're excellent value.

R8 is heavy and boring unless you get an older V10 with 6 speed.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

AMG GTR is also a great alternative, especially if you like rawness and orgasmic sounds ... you might want to investigate that one too.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most people will say that a GTS or turbo is a better fit for you (nyc driving, back seat for your kid, more comfortable ride), but if you drove them both already and feel they don't give you what you need emotionally, then go with the GT3. Trust me I recently sold a 6 month old GTS for that reason.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

If you don't track the Porsche there is really no point in getting the GT3. I found the GT3 a bit too flashy for around town and normal street driving. Parking on a public street is a no-no for risk of being keyed. Happened to a friend down in San Diego and he saw it happened while having his coffee at a Starbucks. He couldn't catch the guy and he was sick to his stomach.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:48 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Welcome to the forum. As with all things in life the answer to all your questions is "it depends". That said if I didn't have to have a manual then I'd be looking hard at a 991.1 GT3 RS or .1 GT3. Are the best for around town? No. But I don't think they are as bad as some make them out to be. It depends on your personal perspective.

Many .2 GT3s are available now. "Fair price" also depends on your perspective.

Word of advice though, if you don't want to pay the bigger bucks for the .2 GT3, get the .1 ASAP and I guarantee you will love it. I found that I myself list over the latest and greatest especially when surfing the web and on rennlist, but when you are actually in the car driving I bet that you won't think you are missing out on anything... unless you want a manual.
Originally Posted by PorscheFrank
Most people will say that a GTS or turbo is a better fit for you (nyc driving, back seat for your kid, more comfortable ride), but if you drove them both already and feel they don't give you what you need emotionally, then go with the GT3. Trust me I recently sold a 6 month old GTS for that reason.
Originally Posted by Jamie140
New York. Toyota 4runner.

I kid.

You can get a great deal on a .1 GT3. If you don't need standard, they're excellent value.

R8 is heavy and boring unless you get an older V10 with 6 speed.
Thanks for the reply. The prices of the 991.1 GT3 are very appealing as of lately, especially if certified pre owned with the extended engine warranty. I don’t need a manual car as of right now so the GT3 fits that category well. Like I said, the 911Turbos and GTS were great cars. I’m very big on sounds and road connection. The turbo was very quiet and laid back. I don’t mind the .1 GT3 but who doesn’t want the newer version of a car right? The .2 isn’t a must though. The .1 is more than enough car for weekends around town. I heard some people love the glorious V10 engine and AWD in the R8. Not sure yet. I’d have to test drive it to rule it out.

Last edited by NYC PORSCHE; 04-06-2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Adding on
Old 04-06-2018, 07:56 PM
gilly6993
AutoX

Originally Posted by henryting
If you don't track the Porsche there is really no point in getting the GT3. I found the GT3 a bit too flashy for around town and normal street driving. Parking on a public street is a no-no for risk of being keyed. Happened to a friend down in San Diego and he saw it happened while having his coffee at a Starbucks. He couldn't catch the guy and he was sick to his stomach.
Then most people wouldn't own a GT3.....and getting keyed is rare...
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Originally Posted by soulsea
AMG GTR is also a great alternative, especially if you like rawness and orgasmic sounds ... you might want to investigate that one too.
Originally Posted by henryting
I never considered the AMG GT R. That’s also a good consideration. They sound lovely and have gobs of power. Should be really fun around town. I have had some AMG cars and M cars in the past. That should be better then most, if not all of them. I’d definitely check it out. Im really into sound in a car. Especially if they are performance cars such as Porsche’s. That’s a big plus for the GT3 for me. As far as flashy goes, I don’t mind that. I actually like the look of a flashy and loud car. I guess I’m one of those guys. That sucks to hear about what happened to your friends car. I never understood keying someone’s car. You should admire a beautiful car not want to destroy it. I don’t get some people’s mentality.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about this? My friend has on on order.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 PM
NYC PORSCHE
Track Day

Originally Posted by silverrules
How about this? My friend has on on order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXckEY22kk
Originally Posted by gilly6993
Then most people wouldn't own a GT3.....and getting keyed is rare...
In all the cars I have owned, I have never gotten keyed thank God (knock on wood!) I can only imagine what it feels like. Such a horrible act to come out and see your beautiful car scratched up, on purpose at that!
I daily drive a tuned 16’ BMW X6M. Great family car with plenty of power and AWD. The transmission and gear changes are amazing and you don’t feel the weight as much for a car if it’s size. It also sounds very good. That would be enough to rule out the M4 for me. Plus, I hate the sound of it sorry to say. They are alllll over NY and aren’t special. Even if it is a M4 GTS or some sort of special edition.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

If you want back seats for your kid, I would consider a 991.1 GTS. Almost the same performance of the GT3, naturally aspirated engine, and amazing sound.

Otherwise I agree with the comments above about getting a .1GT3.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:00 PM
SANDIEGO
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You cannot beat a Z06 for performance at a great price. They are decent around town and very fast with great sound. I have one along with a GT3 .2. Both great cars in somewhat different ways.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Only substitute of GT3 from non-Porsche brand with similar price range would be AMG GT-R. Beautiful car. Or wait for AMG GT-R Black Series that's supposedly coming out soon.

I don't know about driving in NYC though.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Honestly- I woud go with the R8. In NYC I would not go with a GT3. Go get a V10 NA R8 which is a luxury sports car with a supple suspension. It is AWD and has good clearance.

Quick Reply: GT3 or...?