Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"never tracked"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 PM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

When people refer to never tracked they are actually referring to more of the health and condition of the car as tracking cars wear brakes/tires/possible rockchips and could potentially have overrevs... not that driving your car on the street wouldn’t have these issues either, just with less mileage.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:25 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

A turbo is a more than capable track car with a few mods (most suspension). To the OP, buy the 911 that fits your intended use not the one that folks say is the most “badass”. The 911 turbo is probably the best all-rounder in the 911 range...one 911 to do it all, if that’s what you need.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:27 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
I totally disagree. I find the Turbo a bit too soft, again, almost Sporty Coupe-like. I feel it a bit too isolated from the road in comparison to the GT3. It just doesn't feel as tossable and seems "heavy".
They have gotten softer across the line up IMO. 996/7 gt3s we're track focused road cars. 991s are road cars that do well on the track(yes they're faster but way more compliant). Earlier versions we're rough and tumbled compared to current.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

We had a clear and beautiful day in MS today so Dad and I got all of the cars out (the '64 Impala even got a few miles today). I have never had the opportunity to track a car but I will say that the GT3 is by far my favorite car to just drive around with no destination in mind..... Drove the 87 Carrera which was great because of the old-school feel, drove the Cayman S which was great with Sport + activated/rev matching/etc, drove the Turbo S which was great for quick bursts before a license-revoking ticket became a concern, and drove the GT3 (with GRP bypass/valves disconnected) and it was awesome as always. Screaming around like a sport bike, paddling up and down through the gears, feeling like there is total control of the power because the throttle is so linear with no turbos. I am sure that the GT3 is incredible on the track but even around town and running aimlessly through the country, it feels like a surgical instrument. Climbing into the bucket seats adds to the mystique and excitement of even a short drive. The Turbo S stickered for almost $50k over the GT3 but it just feels like a nice car when driving around town or on a trip (which is great if that's what the day calls for). I simply submit that some people choose the GT3 because it is the most fun (smile per mile) P car available. <I suspect that a GT4 with buckets and a bypass exhaust would be the best smile/value proposition but I've never had the chance to drive one>
(also agree with previous poster that "never tracked" is commonly used as a term of vehicle/paint condition for breeds of cars that are commonly tracked- Porsche GT cars, BMW M cars, etc)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:44 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Personally want the most modern, naturally-aspirated, three-pedal Porsche ever built.

Bonus: It's sexy AF, reliable and can handle daily driver duty without fuss.

Whether one tracks or not is of little consequence. (But it is rather torturous to forgo even a little track work.)

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 03-31-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:04 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

991 GT3 is four cars:

- Comfortable but unexciting when driven sedately on the road.
- Exciting when driven spiritedly on the road, though the pace is too high for the vast majority of roads.
- A bit unsatisfying when driven at moderate pace on the track (still a faster pace than on the road).
- Very fun and rewarding when driven near its limits on the track (which is much faster than it can be driven on the road).
Old 03-31-2018, 11:23 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To OP's thread topic ,
I think guys state "never tracked " to buoy up the there asking/value , the rational that the car hasn't been driven hard ,
reality translates to car hasn't been driven to to it's build capabilities or used for one of its intended purposes . a word of cautious about handling virgins may apply here . car is not ready for hard flogging
now myself , I am likely far more dialed in on the operational health and condition and annaly attentive to my maintenance program as my safety and passion for performance are reliant upon it.
there for my tracked car is known to be 100% with no issues

Last edited by R.Deacon; 04-01-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:32 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manifold
991 GT3 is four cars:

- Comfortable but unexciting when driven sedately on the road.
- Exciting when driven spiritedly on the road, though the pace is too high for the vast majority of roads.
- A bit unsatisfying when driven at moderate pace on the track (still a faster pace than on the road).
- Very fun and rewarding when driven near its limits on the track (which is much faster than it can be driven on the road).
yup all so true
to validate your statement really the only functional component that annoys me from poor design is the cup holder , you know when used to hold a cup of coffee, it smartly slops out of the the sippy lid all over console below . I guess germans don't drink coffee on the road .
Old 03-31-2018, 11:39 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by erikerik
When people refer to never tracked they are actually referring to more of the health and condition of the car as tracking cars wear brakes/tires/possible rockchips and could potentially have overrevs... not that driving your car on the street wouldn’t have these issues either, just with less mileage.
so true
perhaps " never tracked , ready to go there "
Old 04-01-2018, 02:44 AM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
OP: Personally I think very little can be gleaned about the capabilities of the cars on public roads. That's my opinion and others are fully entitled to theirs.
Agree with this
Old 04-01-2018, 03:16 AM
Boba Fett
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
OP: A lot of folks think the 911 non-GT cars have become too soft and have too much of a luxury orientation. That, combined with a terrific economy, has a lot of non-track users gravitating toward the GT cars (both 3 and 4).

As a dedicated track guy, I have my own opinion on this based on using the cars in a track environment. Personally I think very little can be gleaned about the capabilities of the cars on public roads. That's my opinion and others are fully entitled to theirs.
totally agree
Old 04-01-2018, 05:25 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

sambb, if you want a counter view, go over and ask the 991 turbo people their opinion. I personally see no reason to buy a GT3 and not track it. For that matter, I personally see no reason to buy any 911 and not track it. They are all track and road capable, some models more so on one side than the other.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:47 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Because today's GT3 is yesterday's Carrera. Today's RS is yesterday's GT3 and they don't make an RS anymore. Whole line has shifted to luxo/dd focus.

That being said, I still buy them.

All seriousness, new GT products perform better than ever at the track and are 10x the DD capability than the prior two generations of GT products. DD a 997/997 GT2/3/RS was a commitment. The new GT's are easier to drive on street than old Carreras, except maybe for clearance issues.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
but isnt a turbo better for the road? if one isnt tracking ? Just wondering.
If you want big woosh, smooth/quiet ride and boring outside of insane acceleration, yes.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:46 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Because today's GT3 is yesterday's Carrera. Today's RS is yesterday's GT3 and they don't make an RS anymore. Whole line has shifted to luxo/dd focus.

That being said, I still buy them.

All seriousness, new GT products perform better than ever at the track and are 10x the DD capability than the prior two generations of GT products. DD a 997/997 GT2/3/RS was a commitment. The new GT's are easier to drive on street than old Carreras, except maybe for clearance issues.
Exactly. I drove my 997TT three hours to trade for my 991.1 GT3, then drove the GT3 three hours home. The GT3 was by far the more comfortable and relaxing car for that road trip. It's capable on the track, sure, but it's also a fantastic road car which is all some of us are going to use it for. Unfortunately I don't have the time or interest in tracking my car, I've got too much going on with young kids at home, and work.
​​

Quick Reply: "never tracked"