Painting Calipers on a .2 3RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Painting Calipers on a .2 3RS

Hi,

Have an October build on the 3RS and one of the things I would like to have done is to have a set of calipers custom painted and installed before picking it up.
I'm not going to have the yellow PCCB calipers repainted, instead I plan to buy a spare set of calipers, have them painted, and store the original ones.

I haven't done this before so I was wondering if you guys can help me out with a few questions I have:

1. Is it best to have them powder coated or painted with some sort of ceramic caliper paint? (The car will be tracked a couple of times a year)
1a. If powder coating is the best approach, do I have the whole caliper done or just the exterior?
1b. If powder coating is the best approach, I'm guessing the Porsche script would have to be hand painted through a stencil yes?

2. Do you think or know if the calipers are the same as in the .2 GT3? As in can I use those part numbers to order them or do I have to find out what are the part numbers specific to the .2 3RS and order those?

3. Is Brembo the supplier for Porsche brakes or is it another company? I was thinking that maybe purchasing the parts directly from the supplier would avoid me the Porsche 'tax.'

4. If any of you done this before, is there a company that you'd recommend that would do an exceptional job of it?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:13 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint is like a heat shield that does not let heat leave the calipers. Leave them in their natural state, your rotors, pads and fluids will thank you.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by astolfor
Paint is like a heat shield that does not let heat leave the calipers. Leave them in their natural state, your rotors, pads and fluids will thank you.
The natural state is painted, so how does repainting them differ?
Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Hi,

Have an October build on the 3RS and one of the things I would like to have done is to have a set of calipers custom painted and installed before picking it up.
I'm not going to have the yellow PCCB calipers repainted, instead I plan to buy a spare set of calipers, have them painted, and store the original ones.

I haven't done this before so I was wondering if you guys can help me out with a few questions I have:

1. Is it best to have them powder coated or painted with some sort of ceramic caliper paint? (The car will be tracked a couple of times a year)
1a. If powder coating is the best approach, do I have the whole caliper done or just the exterior?
1b. If powder coating is the best approach, I'm guessing the Porsche script would have to be hand painted through a stencil yes?

2. Do you think or know if the calipers are the same as in the .2 GT3? As in can I use those part numbers to order them or do I have to find out what are the part numbers specific to the .2 3RS and order those?

3. Is Brembo the supplier for Porsche brakes or is it another company? I was thinking that maybe purchasing the parts directly from the supplier would avoid me the Porsche 'tax.'

4. If any of you done this before, is there a company that you'd recommend that would do an exceptional job of it?

Thanks a bunch.
1.) I've had calipers painted before, but mainly because they were on the car. If off the car, Powder Coating may be more durable.
2.) Yes, same caliper
3.) Brembo is the supplier
4.) Depends on where you're located

Good Luck and Congrats!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,899 Likes on 4,822 Posts

Remove calipers and powder coat.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

Just had mine powder coated purple.
Calipers discolor, why not just paint now and make yellow if you ever need for resale. Simple and inexpensive.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 AM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
The natural state is painted, so how does repainting them differ?
natural state is bare metal, if you are going to track u can get them natural.
‘If they come painted and you add another layer is like adding another blanket.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:42 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 717 Likes on 394 Posts

I had mine painted. I track 4 times a year and Heat is not an issue. Plenty will give you both reasons to either paint or powder coat. Both works just fine.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:16 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

If I go the powder coating route, that means that the calipers would need to get media/bead blasted and then powder coated. Also from my understanding the curing heat from the powder coating process slightly weakens the metal, although I’m not sure that's much of an issue with calipers as they don’t get the physical forces exerted on them of something like wheels.

My inclination is to go the paint route, and only have the outside done without messing with the inside where the pads go ... which takes me to the question of if there’s a specialty paint that needs to be used.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:17 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I would recommend using this company

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com
Old 03-30-2018, 10:00 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 717 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Thanks for the helpful feedback.

If I go the powder coating route, that means that the calipers would need to get media/bead blasted and then powder coated. Also from my understanding the curing heat from the powder coating process slightly weakens the metal, although I’m not sure that's much of an issue with calipers as they don’t get the physical forces exerted on them of something like wheels.

My inclination is to go the paint route, and only have the outside done without messing with the inside where the pads go ... which takes me to the question of if there’s a specialty paint that needs to be used.
Yes there is a specific paint. If you call Jason from OC Wheel Recon he will tell you what he uses. If you plan on removing the calipers yourself you can always use him but he does most jobs on the car and he is on the left coast.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:54 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

If anyone has any recommendations for other shops to get this done I’d love to hear them.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers on a .2 3RS