Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 231 Posts

Honestly, if $20-25k bothers you, you shouldn't be purchasing a $150k car...
Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's all relative.... so it simply doesn't matter ....

We should set up a monthly pool on RL where everybody throws in a Benjamin and bets on how many of these ADM/Value/flipper threads there will be each month....now there's an idea.
The other idea, is to have a subcategory in the forum for value/whining threads.

Last edited by vodavoda; 03-30-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's a self-fulfilling prophesy type of thing - many people buy GT cars ONLY because they are not depreciating or are hard to get, and that in turn makes them depreciate less and harder to get. So no, "we", people who buy these cars to drive and enjoy without looking at them as a store of value or a gambling chip are not at fault because Porsche produces more than enough cars for us. But once half or more of cars are sequestered like gold bars in vaults and the rest is resold by scalpers like rock band tickets because they know demand is bigger than the remaining supply, you have what we have with GT cars now. It's even worse when this happens to houses or other essential things.
This. Speculation and the bubble factor can't be ignored. Some of the demand is from people who aren't interested in actually driving the car. There's a lot of hype, and Porsche isn't the main source of it ...
Old 03-30-2018, 12:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
they are not limited
they are simply fooling you

if you are porsche junkee buy a used one
or go another brand
So true.

Originally Posted by cox1974
No adm in Italy from dealer....if they have the allocation and they decide to sell to you the car, they can give you a discount or not. . Stop...
​​​​​​I bought my first Porsche (gt4) with no discount .. For the gt3 they gave me a 7% discount .
Why do they offer a massive discount??? And how do they choose who to sell the car to?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:24 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
True but I'm guessing most people here didn't get to a place financially where they can afford a new GT3 by throwing their money in the garbage can.

Also re: another comment. If you're a repeat customer buying cars from a dealer but paying for depreciation you're still extracting some value. (you're driving cool cars) Just paying ADM straight up you're not really getting any value for your money imo.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:25 PM
FLGT
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I find these ADM threads exhausting. I believe in a free market. Simple.
Yesterday I literally bought a lovely brand new Toyota for $10k under MSRP.
Am I bad for trying to buy it for less than MSRP, if I can?
Is the dealer bad for trying to sell something for more than MSRP, if he can?
I think we all know the answer to this...

Last edited by FLGT; 03-30-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

+1.......supply and demand 101, relatively speaking with these cars and if you have a few extra bucks you buy it at the going price......GT3s are not collectible cars because so many units produced. They are cars with some nice special features compared to other mainstream cars and are bought and driven.....they may go a little faster, handle better than average car..........once used we sell um.........
Old 03-30-2018, 12:46 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
True but I'm guessing most people here didn't get to a place financially where they can afford a new GT3 by throwing their money in the garbage can.

True, I may be wrong, but the topic of the thread seems to be more along the lines of hypothetically boycotting prices until they come down and ADM's go away.
To hold to your point, if you don't have money as you say to "throw away," then don't buy with the ADM, hold out for prices to stabilize, don't shop at Whole Foods, and you can get to "a place financially" where you can afford a new GT3,

The take home is:
1. We are not entitled to anything
2. Something is worth whatever someone is willing pay
3. Porsche, Porsche dealers, Porsche sales people, etc. are not your friends, they are doing their job
4. Porsche is a great company, makes a great product (thus the demand), and GT cars are special
5. They should just have a garbage can at the entrance of Whole Foods with a picture of a wallet positioned over it.

Last edited by vodavoda; 03-30-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:41 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I think everyone makes great points, I usually buy at MSRP but sold an RS above that and then 3 months later bought another RS at a markup. Yep it is the market we are in. The issue I think is that we have been spoiled. Other manufacturers have great cars that compete with the GTs but at a much higher price. Getting a GT car at MSRP is a relative steal and now that ADMs have kind of taken this away, many feel like the company has let us down. The fact is it hasn't and the market has caught up to the cars. For me there just aren't any better cars at this price point and even with an ADM they still are arguably better cars, but now that these cars are approaching their competition, I'm now looking at buying the competition......Still love my cars and still respect the hell out of the manufacturers and look forward to driving everything I can get my hands on
Old 03-30-2018, 02:46 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, we are our own worst enemies. It's not the ADM that's the problem, but rather manipulation of the system. Dealers working with certain customers with intention of flipping/selling allocations. LACK OF TRANSPARENCY
Old 03-30-2018, 02:53 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
I would have to disagree, as on real estate deals of $2MM plus I am still trying to move the needle my way by $25,000 increments. I don't think an individual's dislike for paying an ADM has anything whatsoever to do with whether they should buy a somewhat expensive car.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:42 PM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

why not just pay an adm, get the car and go drive it and enjoy yourself?

thats what i did and haven’t regretted it for a second...
Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
The take home is:
1. We are not entitled to anything
2. Something is worth whatever someone is willing pay
3. Porsche, Porsche dealers, Porsche sales people, etc. are not your friends, they are doing their job
4. Porsche is a great company, makes a great product (thus the demand), and GT cars are special
5. They should just have a garbage can at the entrance of Whole Foods with a picture of a wallet positioned over it.
Well said.... +1
Old 03-30-2018, 04:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Let's remember that "demand" means US competing and bidding against each other to get the cars. Thread's which rationalize paying ADM ("you only live once," "if you can't afford ADM, you can't afford the car," etc.) just foster people outbidding each other.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Old 03-30-2018, 04:54 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter

Yes, but in Puglia they sell more agricultural tractors than cars! LOL
just kidding
Love your Grotto restaurant
Ahahahahha... You are not too far from the truth... :-) however my dealer sold 5 gt3 in the last 7 months... It's a big number for a southern Italy region... And no adm here in Italy...

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: GT Inflations: Is this all our fault?