Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

you can put these on a regular enclosed trailer

https://pitproducts.com/collections/...s/assist-ramps
Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

I use a Trailex to haul my RS to track days; so far very happy. Only thing I would upgrade to is the Aerovault.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

The front axel lift definitely helps. I'm putting a cup car on there so I wanted something where I didn't have to worry about scraping. I think I could fit an open trailer in my track storage shed. Any advantage to the closed trailer other than protection from elements and I guess more secure storage?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Here is a video of fellow RL'r loading his car on a Trailex, looks like plenty of clearance at ramps and at center point.
Thank you very much for posting that...I was looking at that angle for the trailers thinking it's not going to work... but it didn't even appear he had the front raised either. Good to know.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

If you go with a non enclosed trailer make sure you have the front air dam or you will sand blast your car. I have a new Cayenne diesel but have not towed with it yet. It does have plenty of torque.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

I have another question.... How are you guys securing your GT3s on the trailers with the ratchets? I noticed in the video the member was hooking up the ratchet tie downs but appeared he was just hooking to something under the GT3 that already existed... Is there something under the GT3s already to attach onto? As I said we have an RS and I didn't see anything I would assume to tie off to after taking a quick peek...
Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I have another question.... How are you guys securing your GT3s on the trailers with the ratchets? I noticed in the video the member was hooking up the ratchet tie downs but appeared he was just hooking to something under the GT3 that already existed... Is there something under the GT3s already to attach onto? As I said we have an RS and I didn't see anything I would assume to tie off to after taking a quick peek...
I use these...

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...ap/Axle-Straps

Get the additional Fleece covers.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity

Rennline tie downs work great - easy to install and hook up to.

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Tie...oductinfo/E36/
Old 03-18-2018, 10:32 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Rennline ones in the above mentioned post and these in the rear:

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991...ear-tie-downs/

One thing I would recommend getting is one of those reachers they sell at Walgreens for old people to reach can goods on the top shelf. Exhaust gets toasty and the grabber will let you put the straps on with out crawling under the car.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Captain Scurry
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I also have installed the Rennline tie downs on my RS and have them on my 996. Hooking up is much easier on the 996 due to increased clearance compared to the RS. The rear tie down hooks are somewhat of a reach as mentioned in the above post, but not really a problem. The RS front end is so low to the ground that I had to buy narrower ratchet handles due to clearance issues. It all depends on your trailer, attachment points on trailer, ratchet straps, etc. on how easy the front is to tie town. Hooking to the front Rennline tie downs is the easy part (just behind the front wheel). A lot of others use the through the wheel straps - easy to do most of the time, but again, with the low RS front lip, it all depends on the tie down point on your trailer. If your trailers front tie down is more medial to the wheel, then the front fascia is going to possibly get in the way of the strap.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here would be my thinking on this. Are you willing to stick with an open trailer? If so, there are tons of possibilities, obviously go all aluminum. You will have zero weight issues. And make sure to get something with a high nose guard, to protect from road debris. Particularly on longer tows, it will add up more than you think, there is just a lot of sand, gravel, etc. that flies from the vehicles in front of you. Personally, if it was a particularly valuable Porsche and long distances, I wouldn't do it.

Second option is an all aluminum 20 ft enclosed trailer. In that size, you wouldn't have a lot of room for other things, but you could definitely fit a Porsche in there, and probably be ok on weight, assuming you get weight distributing hitch, etc. As a frame of reference, my all aluminum 24 ft trailer with upgraded (heavy) spread axles, 16 wheels/tires, etc.. is 4k lbs empty. I have to believe that a 20 ft. with less of the add-ons is in the 3000 range empty. Assuming your tow rating is to pull around 7500k pounds, with 750 tongue weight, with a an all-aluminum 20ft trailer you should be able to stay below that even with the Porsche on board? It would be close, you would need to do some of the math.

As a frame of reference, we have a 2017 range rover diesel HSE (wifey vehicle) with 7700 lb towing capacity and it is fine pulling my trailer with car inside. We don't do that often though, its one of the main reasons I have a 1 ton diesel truck. When I tow with my trucks, its like its not even back there Whatever you do, don't ever experience a 3/4 ton diesel or 1 ton diesel. If you like trailering a lot to car shows, road trips, etc. you will never go back haha.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a 22' montrose for sale. Enclosed....really nice trailer.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you go enclosed look at InTech. They build the nicest trailers around and all aluminum:

Old 03-19-2018, 01:37 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts

I was thinking something like this. Do you think this will protect the front of the car from debris?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have an ATC and have no problems with a gas SUV or my current Diesel Cayenne. The SUV takes the brunt of the debris and have never needed a stone guard even in the rocky mountains. If you want protection for the car I suggest going to fully enclosed, tha's what I would have done but I can't fit a full size pickup in my garage........yet!

Quick Reply: Trailer Experience/Recommendations