Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend Head 2 Head: AMG GTR vs GT3 PDK vs GT3 M

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:13 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I am so impressed with Porsche for offering a MT in a car like the GT3. There really is nothing else like it on the market.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:25 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Nothing here surprises me. Took my .2 Manual out for a drive yesterday. This engine is the best NA I have ever driven to date. Burning no oil and zero smoke on start-up. It is a freakin beast and w/the GRP Bypass it sounds sick. Started opening her up and ****-this car fast and you need to be careful because it will bite you if you do not pay attention.

And - do not buy all the BS that this engine was made for PDK. That is such a line of crap it makes me laugh when the .1 PDK guys say this. They had a Manual and PDK for the .1 but decided not to go with the Manual. This Manual in the .2 is a perfect match for this engine.

Will never sell this car. Going to drive it until I am old and can not physically drive any more
Each to there own
i disagree on the street the engine has no torque down low and the gearing is too long . 2nd geAr red line 128kmph
No theartre under 5000 revs. A race track amazing car however I would never track my cars
Sold mine and buying a grungy tourque monster AMG GTR
Old 04-09-2018, 10:36 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34
I would never track my cars
Isn't the GTR an odd choice for someone who would never track their car?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:16 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I guess it's just going to look good at all the Cars and Coffee events that he goes to.
Actually, the GTR is not a bad street car.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 04-09-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Each to there own
i disagree on the street the engine has no torque down low and the gearing is too long . 2nd geAr red line 128kmph
No theartre under 5000 revs. A race track amazing car however I would never track my cars
I don't think it's as extreme as I am somewhat in the middle based on my limited experience with the car so far (6 days, 2200 KMs). It is important to note that I am coming from the new 3.0L turbo motor in the 991.2 Carrera's which was a very very pleasant surprise to me, the engine is severely underrated in my opinion as before I had even sat in the car I was propaganda'd into thinking it would be a POS and the downfall of PAG as we know it (it's truly a masterpiece & I will argue it until I am cold in the ground)

The 3.0L turbo motor definitely feels more punchy down at lower RPM, especially at higher gears/speed where you have to wait a bit for the GT3 to find the power in the rev range. Whereas watching the TFT display on the 991.2 C4, you see the boost indicator come on as soon as throttle is pressed and get slammed into the seat fairly instantly. Same at lower speeds.

So I too, naively, was expecting more power down low without having to wind out the engine on the 4.0 (like an idiot - it's an NA engine hello Sam), but obviously the turbo motors run out of breath around 6k RPM where the GT3 is getting started/rubbing its hands

I think it really matters where you are coming from before the GT3 in terms of perspective. If you are coming from a turbo'd car, especially an amazing engine like in the new Carreras or Turbo/TurboS, you will miss the instant torque and shove from lower RPM for street driving. My experience might be more unique since for most of history the 911 has been NA aside from the Turbo line, so if you are coming from 991.1 or older gen Carrera or GT3 you didn't get accustom to that. Sure, the GT3 has some shove/punch at 1st and 2nd gear especially because revs climb fast, but 3rd and on to find that power you are ready to be acquainted with your local LEO. But the GT3 makes up for that in spades IMO from 4k-9k RPM.

So the GT3 is a great car so far from what I've experienced, probably the best car I've owned (haven't owned a car in this echelon before). I love it, and for more reasons that just the engine. The styling makes it the most beautiful 911 in my eyes. The 4.0 is amazing/fantastic. But I think you cannot have it all and so you have to decide which side of the fence you want to fall on, more torque down low for perhaps more fun on the street means turbos but less redline, less on noise, and a bit more lag for power. On the other side, you get NA which sounds better, can be argued a bit more emotional esp at higher revs, insane redline, but for street I do miss a bit of that punch down low. Can't have it all!!
Old 04-09-2018, 04:42 PM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I don't think it's as extreme as I am somewhat in the middle based on my limited experience with the car so far (6 days, 2200 KMs). It is important to note that I am coming from the new 3.0L turbo motor in the 991.2 Carrera's which was a very very pleasant surprise to me, the engine is severely underrated in my opinion as before I had even sat in the car I was propaganda'd into thinking it would be a POS and the downfall of PAG as we know it (it's truly a masterpiece & I will argue it until I am cold in the ground)

The 3.0L turbo motor definitely feels more punchy down at lower RPM, especially at higher gears/speed where you have to wait a bit for the GT3 to find the power in the rev range. Whereas watching the TFT display on the 991.2 C4, you see the boost indicator come on as soon as throttle is pressed and get slammed into the seat fairly instantly. Same at lower speeds.

So I too, naively, was expecting more power down low without having to wind out the engine on the 4.0 (like an idiot - it's an NA engine hello Sam), but obviously the turbo motors run out of breath around 6k RPM where the GT3 is getting started/rubbing its hands

I think it really matters where you are coming from before the GT3 in terms of perspective. If you are coming from a turbo'd car, especially an amazing engine like in the new Carreras or Turbo/TurboS, you will miss the instant torque and shove from lower RPM for street driving. My experience might be more unique since for most of history the 911 has been NA aside from the Turbo line, so if you are coming from 991.1 or older gen Carrera or GT3 you didn't get accustom to that. Sure, the GT3 has some shove/punch at 1st and 2nd gear especially because revs climb fast, but 3rd and on to find that power you are ready to be acquainted with your local LEO. But the GT3 makes up for that in spades IMO from 4k-9k RPM.

So the GT3 is a great car so far from what I've experienced, probably the best car I've owned (haven't owned a car in this echelon before). I love it, and for more reasons that just the engine. The styling makes it the most beautiful 911 in my eyes. The 4.0 is amazing/fantastic. But I think you cannot have it all and so you have to decide which side of the fence you want to fall on, more torque down low for perhaps more fun on the street means turbos but less redline, less on noise, and a bit more lag for power. On the other side, you get NA which sounds better, can be argued a bit more emotional esp at higher revs, insane redline, but for street I do miss a bit of that punch down low. Can't have it all!!

inthink the AMG GTR does give it all. The noise is insanity muscle and the power/torque is off the scale.
For street driving I think best choice. For track it is meant to fun and fast howevercword has it the GT3 is better.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The GT3, GT3RS and GT2RS are better, no doubt.

Porsches last on track and will corner and brake better.
But if you compare value of the GT3's and RS with equal options to a $170K GTR VS 170GT4, $200+GT3RS and $325K GT2RS, I bet on most tracks it will give the GT3's a run for their money.
You might make it back on resale value though in the Porsches.

Forget the GT2RS, nothing stays with that.
Its own little world.

If the Black series sorts out brake cooling and rear grip it would be a fantastic fun track car.
Perhaps the ST brakes with some fabricated cooling ducts will do the track in the GTR as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

inthink the AMG GTR does give it all. The noise is insanity muscle and the power/torque is off the scale.
For street driving I think best choice.
When I looked at one, it appeared as though it would be easy to destroy the expensive front carbon splitter on the street...
Old 04-09-2018, 06:05 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dream manual GT3.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually GTR is sprung less than original edition one. They stiffened the chassis, widened the track and its plush on the street.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw

Actually GTR is sprung less than original edition one. They stiffened the chassis, widened the track and its plush on the street.
Interesting - I hadn't heard that...
Old 04-09-2018, 08:07 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw

So I own a GTR and I would hardly call the ‘ride’ plush on the street. It is tolerable in ‘C’ mode but less so than my ‘15 Z06/7 could be set to in ‘Touring’ mode. I also lower the tyre pressures down 3 psi from the recommended setting to enhance compliance. That being said the ride is fine for the most part IMHO; just don’t expect it to ride it to ride like an ‘S’ Class. lol
Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

When I looked at one, it appeared as though it would be easy to destroy the expensive front carbon splitter on the street...
I’ve had no issues at all driving the car everywhere on the street and I’m not worried about the front splitter. So far.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:26 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

why? Lots of people here never would track a gt3 or even rs and are still getting one.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

The GT3 rides much better than a GTR. IMHO, the most under rated element of the new GT3 is the ride.

However, GTR kills the GT3 for city driving. There is plenty of drama at city speeds and its a great cruiser at high speed. More stable than a GT3. The only thing they really need to do is fix the brakes.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Head 2 Head: AMG GTR vs GT3 PDK vs GT3 M