Sponsored by:

AP on the GT3RS.2 and questions on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 12:21 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
This is why they make adjustable shocks e.g. KW and Ohlins.
Stiffer not always better depending on circuit.
Agreed.

Most tracks, even in the US aren't what I call "bumpy". Sebring is on an island of it's own. I mostly drive on Mid-O, NCM, Barber, Road America, Putnam, and Pitt Race and none of those are bumpy. In fact, all except Mid-O/RA have baby-butt smooth asphalt that begs for more spring rate and stickier tires. My Cayman has the typical Interseries setup, with 700/800 springs, and never have I wished I had softer spring rates at any of these "typical" tracks. 600/800 on my M3, it still needs more spring for the track. 572/1142 on the GT3, and my car takes bumps better than floppy stock setup on the street, so I know it's going to work better on the track.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I dunno, the stock floppy shocks and springs deal with Sebring pretty decently.
often better then some of the CUPS.
Sebring is like no other track, for sure. I know you'll be the benchmark for .1 to .2RS lap times. Cups are still running WAY more spring than the .2RS, or any aftermarket setup for a street GT3.

I think what we are seeing is that engineers are finally caving to the fact that the tires these days are so sticky, that the cars NEED more spring to actually prevent sloppy handling, and allow more potential of the chassis to be exploited.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:42 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

You don t need stiff shocks when you have a good stiff chassis

I don t think you gain 2s per minute at ring only bc stiffer

do I understood correctly the .2RS is different not about stiffness setup alone vs .1RS
but suspensions architecture ?

Quick Reply: AP on the GT3RS.2 and questions on suspension