Sponsored by:

AP on the GT3RS.2 and questions on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Crossed arms, according to pretty much every psychologist and body language expert, is a subconscious manifestation of defensiveness.

As I am terrible at reading people naturally, I devoted time to studying gestures and such. Crossed arms is fairly well known.

I am not criticizing, I think the car is great, but AP had a reason to signal defensiveness when asked about the engine. What that is, we can only speculate.
I agree with you, but I think that AP is well aware of this body language and I think he is well aware of which questions are to be asked, so I'm not sure he defensive.
I also agree with fxz: Sometimes I'm crossing my arms because it just feels good...

Nevertheless, the conspiracy version is much more fun to talk about
Old 03-08-2018, 03:49 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

^ Wow...

I'm not a fan of marketing speak. Not a fan of AP's exaggerations of the past either. That said, are we being too critical of the man?

He's at Geneva talking to dozens of people an hour. Catchpole grabs him for an interview on-location (unlike the majority of his past interviews which are studio-based)... now we're gonna psycho-analyze his gestures and extrapolate what we think he is or isn't comfortable with?

Let's deal with facts and not go overboard with speculations. Maybe this RS is great. Maybe it's crap. We'll know when we actually drive these things
Old 03-08-2018, 03:53 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Maybe it's crap.
I think it is safe to say it isn't.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

He clearly isn't as excited about the .2 as he was about the .1 RS (evo video with him from Geneva 2015), but then again it's not a new model, just a facelift...
I will be less track oriented with this comment, but I'm really curious if the new PCM could be directly replaced to the .1 RS? Apple car play would be nice.. The wide side skirts are nice too..
Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
^ Wow...

I'm not a fan of marketing speak. Not a fan of AP's exaggerations of the past either. That said, are we being too critical of the man?

He's at Geneva talking to dozens of people an hour. Catchpole grabs him for an interview on-location (unlike the majority of his past interviews which are studio-based)... now we're gonna psycho-analyze his gestures and extrapolate what we think he is or isn't comfortable with?
:
Ha ha. Right on. And Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel....
Old 03-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
not a chance!!!!

but i will help you install new springs on your car so you don't get seasick from all the wallowing when you drive it over 40 mph

isn't it ridiculous how the marketing speak on the new ones tweak their best customers with the just bought ones? sheesh
zactly. So I guess all those glowing reviews of the .1RS by the likes of Chris Harris, Jethro, Walter Rohl, etc...just evaporate to nothingness. Sad.

Sader still this nonsense will repeat itself in perpetuity with each new GT3/Gt3RS. This is a rich man’s game.

I love my salmon sloth. If I get an allocation for a .2 at msrp and can make the purchase without having to bend over (too much) then fine. Otherwise I’ll just have to slow down on my Sunday drives to Dunkin Donuts around those turns for safety sake for fear of inadequate spring rates. Doesn’t the .2GT3 have the same spring rates as the .1RS? If so those guys better slow down too.

Cabdidly, I’m not real hot on the idea of a street car that is used at the track with near Cup suspension. The .1RS is borderline comfortable on the street and very stiff on the street on sport.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I suspect his defensiveness is related to the people he has to deal with in the press and their audiences hanging on every word and gesture he utters and makes rather than a car that represents (to him) the natural incremental evolution over its predecessor.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

zactly. So I guess all those glowing reviews of the .1RS by the likes of Chris Harris, Jethro, Walter Rohl, etc...just evaporate to nothingness. Sad.

Sader still this nonsense will repeat itself in perpetuity with each new GT3/Gt3RS. This is a rich man’s game.

I love my salmon sloth. If I get an allocation for a .2 at msrp and can make the purchase without having to bend over (too much) then fine. Otherwise I’ll just have to slow down on my Sunday drives to Dunkin Donuts around those turns for safety sake for fear of inadequate spring rates. Doesn’t the .2GT3 have the same spring rates as the .1RS? If so those guys better slow down too.

Cabdidly, I’m not real hot on the idea of a street car that is used at the track with near Cup suspension. The .1RS is borderline comfortable on the street and very stiff on the street on sport.

Well said. I have noticed that mine wallows around a lot on the way to the office.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

I'm willing to bet the RS engine is identical to the GT3's, and the GT3's motor was purposely detuned by software at above 8250 to 8500 revs to allow the RS bragging rights.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:54 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I'm willing to bet the RS engine is identical to the GT3's, and the GT3's motor was purposely detuned by software at above 8250 to 8500 revs to allow the RS bragging rights.
I would not be surprised... after all, HP is TQ x RPM divided by the constant (5252). Hence more power can be calculated by increasing tq and rpm.... or conversely decreasing as well like if for example they purposely detuned the GT3's. We know tuning or ECM power management is key especially in differentiating power outputs (like for example again between the 3.2 and 3RS.2) so yup I won't be surprised at all. A numbers game.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I suspect his defensiveness is related to the people he has to deal with in the press and their audiences hanging on every word and gesture he utters and makes rather than a car that represents (to him) the natural incremental evolution over its predecessor.
He's thinking "Ugh, can't wait to see what those Rennlist babies say about this interview."
Old 03-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

.1 RS may be a better car than the .2 RS for road use. Those stiffer springs will improve track performance and precision, but may come at the price of significant harshness on mediocre or bad roads.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
.1 RS may be a better car than the .2 RS for road use. Those stiffer springs will improve track performance and precision, but may come at the price of significant harshness on mediocre or bad roads.
I suspect you're not far off the mark here..As a fast engaging canyon destroying sports car the GT3 might hit the sweet spot..The much increased spring rates on the 3RS.2 could be detriment for any surface apart from a smooth track.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I’m glad. The RS is supposed to be extremely track focused. If an RS is comfy to drive across 3 states, then they sacrificed too much track capability for cruising comfort.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Same cycle as always:

Car is released, everyone picks it apart, would rather keep some prior gen they already own, cars start being delivered/reviewed, everyone goes nuts and wants one.

Quick Reply: AP on the GT3RS.2 and questions on suspension