Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible additional run of GT3's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 02:02 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The irony is that when Porsche just made sports cars for purists they were constantly alternating between modest profitability and insolvency. Only after committing themselves to non-sports car manufacturing, and of all things SUVs, did Porsche finally insulate itself from its history of sine wave finances. Agree w/ Nick about the 959, it was a major headache for Porsche in the time, particularly with the failure to obtain US importation. Only in the retrospectoscope does it appear so prescient and pivotal.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:08 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Interesting that there is a viewpoint here that Porsche makes GT cars at perhaps the lowest profit of all cars or even a loss. This seems to be bolstered by djcxxx historical reference. I don't know where the truth is. But I find it incredibly hard to believe a corporation like VW or PAG would be making GT cars as loss leaders or low margin (compared to rest of range). Only reason would be for marketing purposes and to increase demand for the brand overall, but do they need to do that? Are GT cars moving Cayennes, Macans, Panameras, 718s and down range 911s to the point where it makes sense to price them at low margins/loss and take it as marketing cost.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
Are GT cars moving Cayennes, Macans, Panameras, 718s and down range 911s to the point where it makes sense to price them at low margins/loss and take it as marketing cost.
Evidently. GT3 has been a relative bargain in the lineup for 20 years. Lots of expensive racing tech offered for a small premium over less focused models.

Or maybe it’s the crack dealer’s pricing model: First Hit is free (not quite)
Old 03-02-2018, 02:35 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Pete Stout's new Porsche periodical 000 has had some really excellent articles on Porsche that provides an excellent insight into how much of a family run cottage industry Porsche was during much of its history. The Porsche we know today is a very different entity in terms of size and particularly capital, but the legacy of those years still permeates many of the decision making processes which in my opinion results in what appears to be capricious and inconsistent communications and decisions by customers.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:33 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

Evidently. GT3 has been a relative bargain in the lineup for 20 years. Lots of expensive racing tech offered for a small premium over less focused models.
This is it...when you look at retail MSRP it seems like a steal! But are they really doing it at a near loss or loss? I find it hard to believe.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
This is it...when you look at retail MSRP it seems like a steal! But are they really doing it at a near loss or loss? I find it hard to believe.
No, not at a loss. But well less than average margin % in the lineup. Using many of the GT cars for racing homologation must factor into this as well...
Old 03-02-2018, 04:03 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The naïveté in this thread is shocking. The bill of materials (BOM) cost for GT cars is only a few % points more than a standard 911. GT cars are extremely profitable for Porsche, a GT2RS is almost triple the cost of a base 911 and while there are significant differences in the parts not shared there are far more part numbers that are shared that not.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I agree, and all of the models have significant, though different types of, development costs. The idea that the development cost for the GT cars is astronomical or materially different as a percent of revenue than the regular cars is very unlikely to be true. Additionally, from a dealer perspective, a GT car takes up the same space on the lot as a regular Carrera, and the $ profit margin is higher, regardless of whether the percentage may be slightly lower.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker
GT2RS is almost triple the cost of a base 911 and while there are significant differences in the parts not shared there are far more part numbers that are shared that not. [/left]
On the other hand, a Gt3 is $4k more than, say, a C4 Cab GTS, which while a wonderful car is a parts bin special costing $30k more than a C4 Cab.

Do you really have any doubt on which of the two, C4 GTS Cab GTS or GT3, carries the higher margin?

Or a Panny TurboS ehybrid (80k over the Base e Hybrid), or a Cayenne Turbo S $43k over the normal cayenne Turbo?

I say that in the $150k to $200k range, the GT3 margins are the lowest of the lineup, and on a percentage basis, they're the second lowest overall, with only the base versions of the various models being lower.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
On the other hand, a Gt3 is $4k more than, say, a C4 Cab GTS, which while a wonderful car is a parts bin special costing $30k more than a C4 Cab.

Do you really have any doubt on which of the two, C4 GTS Cab GTS or GT3, carries the higher margin?

Or a Panny TurboS ehybrid (80k over the Base e Hybrid), or a Cayenne Turbo S $43k over the normal cayenne Turbo?

I say that in the $150k to $200k range, the GT3 margins are the lowest of the lineup, and on a percentage basis, they're the second lowest overall, with only the base versions of the various models being lower.
Why on earth would any sensible business price a highly coveted product with a lower profit margin than its other less desired products? It would be a foolish business decision. I can understand pricing it at the same margins as other products ( a could list several reasons to do so) but to reduce you margin on one of your most successful products would be the mother of stupid business decision.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Why on earth would any sensible business price a highly coveted product with a lower profit margin than its other less desired products? It would be a foolish business decision. I can understand pricing it at the same margins as other products ( a could list several reasons to do so) but to reduce you margin on one of your most successful products would be the mother of stupid business decision.
I do not disagree unless they think these cars drive more business with their other models. A Marketing ploy to get more traffic to the Dealer. Whether in these times this still works but for those not familiar with Porsche maybe it does
Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I do not disagree unless they think these cars drive more business with their other models. A Marketing ploy to get more traffic to the Dealer. Whether in these times this still works but for those not familiar with Porsche maybe it does
As a backdoor way to provide dealers "trunk money" without those actual cash outlays showing up on corporate ledgers to affect overall accounting and roll-up numbers. Which won't have an affect on overall corporate numbers, and maintains the corporate patina that PAG doesn't have to incentivize the sales of their cars.

So, instead of Porsche providing dealer incentives to move a Panamera (which goes on the corporate ledger as an expense of some sort), Porsche can simply provide a GT allocation to a dealer, knowing that a dealer will be able to sell the car for a markup, which in turn is an indirect way of providing "trunk money" without that cash outlay ever formally appearing on any ledger.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:50 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker
The naïveté in this thread is shocking. The bill of materials (BOM) cost for GT cars is only a few % points more than a standard 911. GT cars are extremely profitable for Porsche, a GT2RS is almost triple the cost of a base 911 and while there are significant differences in the parts not shared there are far more part numbers that are shared that not.
Well stated and spot it. PAG/PNA are making a bundle off the cars!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Both plausible reasons but they beg the question. Is there a business need to price your must prized product below the company's standard margins?

I suppose one can argue that Porsche brand is about performance/value. Porsche could look at the competition to the GT3 like the 570S, Z06/07, R8 and others deciding the need to price the car in the middle. From a business standpoint I fail to see the logic if that is what Porsche did.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:02 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn

Comparing a cab to a coupe is apples and oranges, a top assembly that comes from a supplier is a significant change in BOM. A GTS has a lot of equipment that is standard than is either not available on a GT or is optional at additional cost. Believe me the GT cars are very much more profitable than regular 911s. You think production of GT cars is low, ck production of base 911 coupes. The boxster was the low margin car until it took the giant price increase when it switched to 718. Think about it, prior to 718, the boxster was the only convertible on the market that was cheaper than the corresponding coupe. Porsche fixed that with the 718.

Quick Reply: Possible additional run of GT3's?