Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

So they make more GT3 while skimping on RS production? What a Bull****
Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 AM
BillS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer who called me and who I'm working with to try and get one of these additional allocations told me they don't know the build dates yet but that they will all be built in 2018
Old 03-23-2018, 08:17 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe they fill in on the GT2RS reserved space on the line?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 AM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no idea whether Porsche is planning on making more .2 GT3’s or not but I get the sense the some dealers are saying they’re getting ‘new’ allocations when really allocations are starting to get dropped because:

1) Customers with .2 GT3 allocations have secured a .2 GT3RS allocation so dropping the .2 GT3.
2) It’s clear some folks have secured multiple .2 GT3 allocations, so are finally taking the earliest build and dropping the other allocation(s).
3) Some with late build .2 GT3’s are finding ‘acceptable’ builds on the ground, buying them and dropping their allocations.

That being said, it seems there are plenty of people lurking, waiting for .2 GT3 allocations to drop and happy to pay ADM.

Just what I’m seeing...
Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Is it possible that Porsche has a bunch of build slots at the end of the run that weren't given out just in case they need to replace a car that's damaged in transit or any such thing?

Now that most of the cars are delivered, they can reduce the safety margin and sell out those allocations?

Has anyone in Canada got a new allocation recently?
Old 03-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

From what I am hearing there will be no 2019 .2 GT3. The .2 RS will all be 2019.

That does not mean there will not be more 2018 allocations released but I would not be surprised with now the .2 RS allocations out that some may be jumping to the .2 RS and Dealers making it like they got new allocations
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by BOS991.2
there are plenty of people lurking, waiting for .2 GT3 allocations to drop and happy to pay ADM.
no doubt about that
Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts
Default CAFE is the BUILD LIMIT

A lot of talk about strategy, manipulation and denial but could not be further from the truth. Porsche production numbers are driven by regulations on emissions

Remember what happened with the GT4 and those "late builds"?
Porsche is limited by Emissions Regulations called CAFE not customer demand. Throughout the year, the Porsche/VW bean counters are summing up all the different model sales mpg to calculate the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE). As Porsche approached the end of the year, the CAFE was still lower than the penalty threshold so Porsche could produce more gas guzzling cars like the GT4 (and this year it is the GT3 and GT3RS).

Keep in mind that CAFE is the single, biggest mover forcing Porsche production lines and finally to adopt turbos in new products

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Is it possible that Porsche has a bunch of build slots at the end of the run that weren't given out just in case they need to replace a car that's damaged in transit or any such thing?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Ah! It never occurred to me that they'd be keeping a running total and then be able to adjust production at the end like that. Makes perfect sense!

It still baffles me that emissions numbers are applied to brands rather than corporations, but that's an entirely different discussion.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:53 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
A lot of talk about strategy, manipulation and denial but could not be further from the truth. Porsche production numbers are driven by regulations on emissions

Porsche is limited by Emissions Regulations called CAFE not customer demand. Throughout the year, the Porsche/VW bean counters are summing up all the different model sales mpg to calculate the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE). As Porsche approached the end of the year, the CAFE was still lower than the penalty threshold so Porsche could produce more gas guzzling cars like the GT4 (and this year it is the GT3 and GT3RS).

Keep in mind that CAFE is the single, biggest mover forcing Porsche production lines and finally to adopt turbos in new products
Great info, thanks for this.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

if only the truth were less mundane and more conspiratorial it would be embraced by Internet forums. Excellent post.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep in mind that CAFE is the single, biggest mover forcing Porsche production lines........
An exaggerated claim.

Demand (along with it, profit) remains the single biggest mover forcing Porsche production lines. If demand is not there, no one would care about CAFE standards. Simple as that.

I'm not saying CAFE controls are unimportant. But, until you impose, for example, the CHICOM levels of control, demand/profit will continue to have a greater affect on production lines.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:39 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
From what I am hearing there will be no 2019 .2 GT3. The .2 RS will all be 2019.

That does not mean there will not be more 2018 allocations released but I would not be surprised with now the .2 RS allocations out that some may be jumping to the .2 RS and Dealers making it like they got new allocations

If I recall correctly, the reason Porsche isn't producing the GT3 in 2019 is because of EU emissions regulation change in Sep 2018. If that's the case, why are they able to produce the RS in 2019?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:59 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
If I recall correctly, the reason Porsche isn't producing the GT3 in 2019 is because of EU emissions regulation change in Sep 2018. If that's the case, why are they able to produce the RS in 2019?
I am wondering the same thing. It seems like the emissions reg change is requiring the new particulate filter to be installed on the .2 3RS but why couldn't they just do that for the .2 GT3 as well to continue production into 2019?

I still like to guess that some more allocations for late 2018 are opening up because of how pushed back some US builds have been to make room for EU/RoW .2 GT3 production, so as a way of saying thanks maybe opening up a handful more production spots for the US before .2 GT3 production over
Old 03-23-2018, 07:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
if only the truth were less mundane and more conspiratorial it would be embraced by Internet forums. Excellent post.
^^^^^^
Truth.

People away behind computers imagining a scheme which could never exist within the confines of mass corporate planning.. especially German planning. There is no adjustment for profit margins on the fly... regulation drives decisions, and adjustments are made in consequence.

Quick Reply: Possible additional run of GT3's?