Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripper for the street, touring edition. Missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:04 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Keep the bose. It's a car for "touring" after all. Not for racing.
Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Yes i would drop the BOSE and use the $ to add a bit more leather since its touring. If looking to save some money drop the buckets before the PCCB (given going light wheels) and put towards an XPEL or similar coating since its black.
Haha, sounds like I'll have to go take a listen and decide for myself. Definitely doing XPEL and Modesta. As for saving money, I already "saved" $20k with the PTS stop order as I was going to do PTS, houndstooth, platinum wheels, and PDLS in addition to the above options. But when the stop order happened, I said forget all the cosmetic stuff since I wasn't going to get my dream color...let's just build a simple car with the essentials.

Originally Posted by mooty
simple
i like it
Yeah, that's the goal.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Near identical build here, just with platinum wheels, CF instead of anthracite and auto dimming mirrors. Pushing $175k though, so couldn't really call it a stripper.
Good taste. Mine is just a high-end stripper

Originally Posted by evilfij
Autodim was key for me. Up there with extended tank for “why not.”

I went standard everything that was not functional: Stereo/brakes/interior/wheels/headlights. Classed it up a bit with the free leather console/dash trim. My only “bling” is the fire extinguisher (my grubby hands would ruin yellow belts in no time). Only big dollar options are LWB and FAL.

I may have considered auto-dim if I drove my weekend cars at night. But in the last year, I've driven my weekend cars maybe a handful of times in the dark, if that.

Hmm, leather trim. Haven't considered that. Is your car delivered?

Originally Posted by Terrence
I would maybe drop the LWB. They are great looking but a PITA to use in many ways. Grand Touring” should mean long distance comfort, and they are OK for comfort once you are in, but a PITA to get in and out of, especially if you don’t want to crease the bolsters. Also has far less adjustments and too upright for daily use. Also too upright for track use if you wear a helmet. Just my opinion.
LWBs are my only must have option lol. Fortunately, I've been very comfortable in them, including a handful of 400+ mile days. And I actually don't mind the added hassle of getting in and out. Call me weird, but the sense of occasion each time you get in and out adds to the specialness of the seats.

Plus my wife thinks they're stupid so it's another reason for her to stay home with the kids when I go out for drives lol.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:38 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

If this is a long term keeper your build is perfect. If short term; dump the Bose.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:34 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

^Interesting. Never thought of it that way, but thinking about it now, I would have said the opposite since the best sounding system of today will probably sound pretty crappy in 10 years relative to what's available then.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

My car is not delivered, it has been at Davisville for 45 days. There are a bunch of pictures of the leather door/dash/console trim, but I don’t think I have seen a touring with it yet.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

$$ Options:
Leather/Cloth Interior Package in Black $3,480 - I haven’t seen and therefore felt the fabric. From the pictures, I personally don’t like the look of the weave and it’s sheen. I am biased towards alcantara.

Front Axle Lift System $2,590 - Yes
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) $9,210 - Fabulous, you’re won’t go back to steels as you’ll get spoilt!
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 23.7 gal $140 - Absolutely especially on a touring.
Full Bucket Seats $5,200 - If they fit you, it’s the way to go for sure. I love them.
Seat Belts in Racing Yellow Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $360 - Unless your interior stitching is CXX yellow, I’d think again about the yellow belts. May want to consider black.
BOSE® Surround Sound System $1,600 - I’d definitely get Bose. It’s not great but is better than it was on previous generations. I have it and no regrets.

To go with the black theme, have you considered led lights in black?

Chrono is also a debatable option and one which I’d choose. I’ve had GT3’s without it and not missed it. On a keeper, I’d have it.

All in all I really like your build.
Congratulations​​​​​​!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I would drop the PCCB, add the $510 light design package. Otherwise looks awesome. Jealous....
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by evilfij
My car is not delivered, it has been at Davisville for 45 days. There are a bunch of pictures of the leather door/dash/console trim, but I don’t think I have seen a touring with it yet.
Looked through some pics and I may go with this option. I think this may age better than anthracite or carbon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Haku

$$ Options:
Leather/Cloth Interior Package in Black $3,480 - I haven’t seen and therefore felt the fabric. From the pictures, I personally don’t like the look of the weave and it’s sheen. I am biased towards alcantara. I like Alcantara better as well, but it's not available on the Touring. Was going to do houndstooth but the stop order happened so I'll likely do something aftermarket.

Front Axle Lift System $2,590 - Yes
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) $9,210 - Fabulous, you’re won’t go back to steels as you’ll get spoilt! That's what I'm hoping for.
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 23.7 gal $140 - Absolutely especially on a touring.
Full Bucket Seats $5,200 - If they fit you, it’s the way to go for sure. I love them.
Seat Belts in Racing Yellow Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $360 - Unless your interior stitching is CXX yellow, I’d think again about the yellow belts. May want to consider black.
BOSE® Surround Sound System $1,600 - I’d definitely get Bose. It’s not great but is better than it was on previous generations. I have it and no regrets.

To go with the black theme, have you considered led lights in black? I started with PDLS (not all the way black but close). But after looking at pics of touring in black with silver wheels, I feel like the silver in the base lights balance out the car.

Chrono is also a debatable option and one which I’d choose. I’ve had GT3’s without it and not missed it. On a keeper, I’d have it. Still debating this one myself

All in all I really like your build. Thanks!
Congratulations​​​​​​!
Originally Posted by wmond
I would drop the PCCB, add the $510 light design package. Otherwise looks awesome. Jealous....
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Perfect spec. If it were me I'd delete the radio
Old 02-16-2018, 12:47 PM
KMKCMT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree...No Bose / otherwise it looks great...
Old 02-16-2018, 04:58 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Perfect spec. If it were me I'd delete the radio
Haha, I don't have the ***** for radio delete.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:09 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Not close to a stripper. Save the money and dump the Bose.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Nice build, I wouldn't call it a stripper at all, but just a car that has the 'essentials'.

I too would totally not spend the money on BOSE. I realize this is a weekender, but if you are an audiophile you will find it severely lacking. And if you are not, then the engine noise behind your ears is all you will need
Old 02-17-2018, 12:21 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by James Walker
Bose is a waste
Totally disagree

Quick Reply: Stripper for the street, touring edition. Missing anything?