Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 manual concern

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Why the RS.1? With all due respect to 996 RS (a 997 is a 997)

1) a shocking bold launch color
2) hyped to the moon- delivered.
3) EXTREMELY RELIABLE (45+ track days in mine)
4) no centerlocks so Track nuts like me could trailer their car, slap Hoosier tires on and do 3 day mancations across the region and then come home, change oil, pads, etc and go do it again. All solo with no pit crew.
5) it made rennlist better. NO BS about PTS etc. just camber, alignment, trail braking, etc. posting track lap videos! It elevated ownership in a golden age of semi tech.
6) it really only had two issues: putting in bucket seats and a rear main seal leak from people letting their cars sit. But RMS was covered under warranty.
7) looked exactly like the cup car.
8) amazing gearbox - unkillable.

While I love the 3.8RS, it was simply an incremental improvement - they literally took what we were doing to modify our .1's for the track (lower control arms, bucket seats, cup car final drive, exhaust mod, trying to get to 450hp) and simply made the car like that out of the box.

The 4.0 was a HUGE league above the 3.6 but the 3.8 was basically as good as my 40 track day modded 3.6. And the 3.8 ushered in all these fruitcake options that turned rennlist from the colosseum into fashion week.
^Word.

This is also why I'm a fan of the 997.1 GT3/GT3RS cars.... simplicity, old school / no fluff, just as fun, and the admission price is more fathomable than the 7.2's.

I have been contemplating on switching in my GT4 for a 7.1 RS car..... hmmmm. Both are fun to hoon but the 7's are more analog, obviously. Plus Mezger... so 'nuff said.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34

This arrived today and
This arrived today and I am a little unsure I have mixed feelings .

The car looks amazing, driving position and ergonomics are fantastic, the LWB seats are comfortable, I will get the adjusters for more rake .
100% need bolster protectors.
Started it up and I thought it lacked a bit of noise. I can see why people opt for a shark worx

Driving off I thought it's very compliant over bumps no different to my 997 Pdk turbo. Quite comfortable and not near as stiff as I thought . Considering this was to be a weekend only ca I was a bit disappointed as it could easily be a daily .
I also thought the gearing is too tall so bottom end torque is not that great, off the line it's not feeling at all a ballsy torque based engine.So around town it's an easy drive . I was hoping for a bit of a difficult car to drive with a heap of power , as in be careful with the power. Though really no need .

I would say the gears are to tall . when you get up in the rev range 1500 to 4000 equals nowhere . 5000-7000 is good torque from 7000 revs to 9000 the thing screams though lacks torque just screams , the down side is you are going too fast for the street. I found some back roads and gave it some and I found that the gears are a too tall , so 1st gear 100 kms second gear probably doing 160 kms per hour, so it's hard to use the motor wilth full range on the street .

Build quality is excellent and the car looks good.

My history with cars are mainly V8's or TT pDK so this one is not quite what I was expecting. It is a manual and the box is nice clutch is light and steering is good, direct . Car is planted .
Off tigh corners it will step out a bit .

Now I am of the belief warm the car up and then drive it so It been belted from 25kms on the clock . It free's up the engine. Car was too boring under 4000 revs.

Conclusion is , I need to spend more time in the car to make it work for me. So far I am a little disappointed however I can see why others love it. The cars looks fantastic and I love my options painted interior with full leather and LWB'a look fantasic

Anyway thanks for reading .
Originally Posted by Randy M
This is the argument for the GTS model on the street and/or for mainly street use as it has more torque down low.
Excellent point.
I feel the same way about the Touring displacing GT3 cars
Old 02-12-2018, 01:47 PM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few comments/observations:

Would add GT4 to list of best executed cars, similar to 981 Spyder.

Ferrari's are fun because they are SHORT geared, rev fantastically fast, and sound great. That said, Porsche GT cars do some important things way better so......take your pick, or get both or all of them!!

Best.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

4) no centerlocks so Track nuts like me could trailer their car, slap Hoosier tires on and do 3 day mancations across the region and then come home, change oil, pads, etc and go do it again. All solo with no pit crew.
5) it made rennlist better. NO BS about PTS etc. just camber, alignment, trail braking, etc. posting track lap videos! It elevated ownership in a golden age of semi tech.
6) it really only had two issues: putting in bucket seats and a rear main seal leak from people letting their cars sit. But RMS was covered under warranty.

While I love the 3.8RS, it was simply an incremental improvement - they literally took what we were doing to modify our .1's for the track (lower control arms, bucket seats, cup car final drive, exhaust mod, trying to get to 450hp) and simply made the car like that out of the box.

The 4.0 was a HUGE league above the 3.6 but the 3.8 was basically as good as my 40 track day modded 3.6. And the 3.8 ushered in all these fruitcake options that turned rennlist from the colosseum into fashion week.
I do love the simplicity and purity of the 7.1rs. LOVE the launch colors. Love the way the 3.6 has that raspy note with a bypass. Sofa-for-euro-bucket swap is a must.

And it's just different enough from the 4.0 that it's worth the 997 duplication to me. I couldn't justify a 3.8 and 4.0: too similar only 4.0 just better.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

lgt

not sure what this thread is about but this is ON POINT
Old 02-14-2018, 04:22 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

........ And the 3.8 ushered in all these fruitcake options that turned rennlist from the colosseum into fashion week.
Could not agree more. Right on point. The banality of some of the arguments on RL are mind bogling.
Chet
Old 02-14-2018, 04:34 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

I mean, I did go with a purple paint job and houndstooth lol
Old 02-14-2018, 05:46 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic

I mean, I did go with a purple paint job and houndstooth lol
HAHAHAHA
Thank you for that I genuinely laughed my *** off
Old 02-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Couldn't be bothered reading through everything, but the gearing and everything don't work well on the roads we have...too many cops, find a nice twisty road or do a track day. Track day will be the only way you can really experience the car and much safer than doing it on the road.

From what you describe about lack of torque, quiet, comfortable - sounds like you should try a 997 GT3/RS.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:38 AM
TommyGT4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
^THis. I really would like OP's opinion after a track day.

Comparing my late .1 PDK GT3 to .2 Manual, there is no question, .2 is way more fun on the street. OP's butt may be used to low-end torque, but that will get old very, very quick. Yes, my 4 cylinder 2.0 Alfa Giulia feels more peppy at around 2K rpm then my GT3, but who cares? GT3's RPM should not be less than 3-4K, even when driven on the streets.

In terms of sound though? Here is a clip from a recent drive with my brother. You cannot here shhtt while we are having a full on conversation. Another factor with this car is that you can be driving it at only 60 mph, but you will have a wide grin on your face. That "no substitute" quote is about this car. No car can match it, even the venerable 458 Speciale. I admit though, I have not driven the 2011 RS 4.0 or the CGT.

PS: sorry about the crappy dynamic range on the video. Who knew, old GoPro3 walks over the new GoPro6 (crappy dynamic range and audio -- this video). Cars are one thing, but I thought newer electronics should be better.

https://youtu.be/mCGRYaNzynw
You need to enable spot metering on the windscreen.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono809
Couldn't be bothered reading through everything, but the gearing and everything don't work well on the roads we have...too many cops, find a nice twisty road or do a track day. Track day will be the only way you can really experience the car and much safer than doing it on the road.

From what you describe about lack of torque, quiet, comfortable - sounds like you should try a 997 GT3/RS.

CAR IS NOW SOLD, 280 kms back to the dealer who passed it on at list.

Just not in love with the car
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (07-09-2021)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:55 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

CAR IS NOW SOLD, 280 kms back to the dealer who passed it on at list.

Just not in love with the car
Good for you to post your experience and take action. What car are you thinking of replacing it with, if any?
Old 02-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,173 Posts

[delete]

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 02-16-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm finding it very hard to find a single thing I dislike about my $40,000 Golf R at the moment.
I am the original owner of a 2004 VW R32 and I can say with 100% confidence that I will never sell that car.
The fun factor in that car ( torque, gearing, steering, brakes, visibility, NA sound, drive-ability, comfort level, feel ) is x 100 for the street.

Bascially 250 HP for $28,500 and the steal of a lifetime.
Put some stiffer struts/shocks on it and let her rip!
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (07-09-2021)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:53 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I haven't been in the .2 at normal road speeds yet. But I just did a demo/taxi lap in the .2 at PEC LA with an instructor driving for a couple laps around their track and my God - what a brilliant machine. Warp speed at launch control, going insanely fast into corners but still stable and planted, the G forces, noises, overall experience. WOW... maybe OP was right you cannot experience that on the road lol.

to the OP - what are you going to get instead? in the end you just have to be happy and enjoy what you have so if you weren't enjoying the GT3, good on you to pass it on to someone else

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 manual concern