Sponsored by:

Centerlock discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:26 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Well that's the thing... my car literally got dropped off from my dealer three days ago, direct from the boat from Germany. So it's not like anything's touched the wheels. *shrug*

There must be some magic way to clean those... I have a hard time believing it's permanently etched deep enough into the black anodization such that it's unrecoverable. Maybe some fine metal polish with a Dremel polishing tip? I may try the same on my car. Since I didn't notice it at the time of pick-up, I am sure I will be blamed for it if I bring it up, so I didn't even bother trying to get them taken care of...
Old 05-22-2018, 05:41 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a clay bar to detail my wheels last week for an upcoming car show and used it on the CL too. It cleaned them up a bit but not 100%.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:32 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I'm working with another local dealer to escalate the situation to Porsche Customer Commitment. The service manager at this dealership took a look and also noticed that the discoloration is also present on the PCCB rotor hats, which are also anodized. It's blatantly obvious somebody sprayed the wheels with something. Car is at a shop getting paint correction and PPF. They said they didn't want to touch the wheels until it all gets sorted out with Porsche. Wouldn't want Porsche to say my detailer is to blame.

I am just now noticing this problem. Looking back, I do remember seeing it when the car was at the originating dealership. But I figured it was just "dirt" that would come off once they washed the car. But seems like maybe they gave the car a quick wash and sprayed the wheels with something (maybe brake cleaner?) in an attempt to rush through the PDI process. I'm just guessing though.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

[QUOTE=FourT6and2;15027757
I am just now noticing this problem. Looking back, I do remember seeing it when the car was at the originating dealership. But I figured it was just "dirt" that would come off once they washed the car. But seems like maybe they gave the car a quick wash and sprayed the wheels with something (maybe brake cleaner?) in an attempt to rush through the PDI process. I'm just guessing though.
[/QUOTE]

Any citrus based cleaner will do that. I made that mistake early on with my 997.2 GT3 while cleaning up some of the center lock grease after swapping wheels.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

^^^^ Who knows. All I care about is getting Porsche to remedy the situation.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:45 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Dealer advised to try cleaning both rotors and CL nuts and if that didn't work, they would "make it right." My detailer attempted to give the parts a cleaning and it didn't do anything. So now I'm waiting to hear how dealer will handle this.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I'm starting to get similar discoloration on my Turbo S, which is just 2 months old and was washed just twice with plain Chemical Guys car shampoo. Strange.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:43 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

UPDATE:

Dealer said they will replace the center lock nuts. But not the rotors. Obviously because the rotors are $20,000. So I'm stuck with rotors that have permanent white/blue streaks. At least they are sort of hidden behind the wheels. But disappointing on a brand new car. This has severely tainted my experience of buying my first high-performance car and first Porsche. The car drives great but the delivery experience was lackluster.
The following users liked this post:
Wakemaker (09-12-2021)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:51 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Try CLR on the white spots.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:11 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by evilfij
Try CLR on the white spots.
CLR is acidic. It will make it worse.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:17 PM
cayenne-tt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I’m told, there really isn’t anything that clean that stuff off fully. It’s almost like etched in. I plan to get my wheels ceramic coated to helpfully prevent it from happening again
Old 06-09-2018, 11:43 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by cayenne-tt
From what I’m told, there really isn’t anything that clean that stuff off fully. It’s almost like etched in. I plan to get my wheels ceramic coated to helpfully prevent it from happening again
Yep. It's not "almost" etched. It is etched.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:12 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Dealer sent me new CLs. Not replacing the rotors though, too expensive and you don't really notice the rotor hats anyway.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

When you replace the centerlocks(if you do it yourself), use a foam applicator pad with some J&J baby shampoo mixed with distilled water and gently massage the most out of sight spot on the rotor hats where there is discoloration. The finish is anodized so you don't want to really use a proper polish but a foam applicator pad will provide you with the slightest abrasion that may allow you to break some of any of the surface build up free. The J&J BS has nothing in it that should not rinse away and will not affect your carbon ceramic rotors.

Let me know how that goes. I've never had to address a situation that you're facing 4t6&2, but if a client ask me to, that would be my first move beyond just washing it.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:08 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
When you replace the centerlocks(if you do it yourself), use a foam applicator pad with some J&J baby shampoo mixed with distilled water and gently massage the most out of sight spot on the rotor hats where there is discoloration. The finish is anodized so you don't want to really use a proper polish but a foam applicator pad will provide you with the slightest abrasion that may allow you to break some of any of the surface build up free. The J&J BS has nothing in it that should not rinse away and will not affect your carbon ceramic rotors.

Let me know how that goes. I've never had to address a situation that you're facing 4t6&2, but if a client ask me to, that would be my first move beyond just washing it.
Will do, thanks! I'll give it a try but there really isn't anything on the rotor hats or CL nuts. What you're seeing is chemical etching. There's nothing to "break free" or remove. There's no residue on the parts. It's chemically etched the anodizing. But I will give it a try as there's no harm in it.

Quick Reply: Centerlock discoloration