Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any aesthetic car care DIY requests?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:29 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Easy way to get rid of dead insects goo after a drive? Not anything too involved, must take < 10 mins. I am lazy.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 AM
ubtrippin
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Wd 40 always works
Old 05-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Any recommendations or power steamer for cleaner, I don’t need to wash the car much as I drive in fair weather only and was thinking a quality pressure steamer would be better than a pressure washer, thoughts?
For exterior paint? Do not use steam. Use a pressure washer or water hose. A good rule of thumb is to not place the water jet any closer than you would to your own skin (for instance, use your own hand as a gauge for the distance). You'll be perfectly fine. The paint is far more durable than your skin.

Originally Posted by ubtrippin
Hi if I passed it up in the thread my apologies in advance. What is everyone using to get your paint extra smooth.
If it's not smooth, it's not clean. Start with degreasing with something like P21S Total Auto Wash and then move upwards of claying or decon pads from there.

Originally Posted by F1tifosi
Dear JC - What do you recommend for removing winter salt from my carpets? Have Weathertech inserts but ended up collecting a lot of salt around the gas pedal. Thanks
Pay a professional to steam clean and/or hot water extract them. For DIY, Youtube will have many tutorials but that's a level of cleaning that's best left to the guys with the professional equipment IMHO and, in general, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to have it done.

Originally Posted by Jerrygreene
I feel very foolish for asking as NO one is too eat in my cars.... i dropped a hot cheese tac- o sauce on to black leather perforated seats ( ones that have A/C) can't get out... thoughts?
Call a pro.

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Steamer rec?
Cheap one that's pretty okay.

Cost more, but is far nicer. <--I own this one.

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Easy way to get rid of dead insects goo after a drive? Not anything too involved, must take < 10 mins. I am lazy.
Mix up some Optimum No Rinse Quick Detail Spray. Mist to a towel, place the towel over the bug marks for a few moments/minutes, gently wipe away. Do not do this on hot surfaces or in direct sunlight.

Enjoy!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:31 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs

Mix up some Optimum No Rinse Quick Detail Spray. Mist to a towel, place the towel over the bug marks for a few moments/minutes, gently wipe away. Do not do this on hot surfaces or in direct sunlight.

Enjoy!
Thanks! Will give it a try after the next drive.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:39 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
In general, do not apply a coating before PPF.

You are very welcome.
Just curious about this, and the gray area between this and a prior post that has me confused. Any issues with TracWrap over ceramic, for about 2 weeks?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 80p
Just curious about this, and the gray area between this and a prior post that has me confused. Any issues with TracWrap over ceramic, for about 2 weeks?
I'll quote myself (not meaning to sound curt):
This is one of those situations where the nuances dictate the actions.

·Factory hip PPF requires no stretching and it does not conform to any complex shapes so placing it over a coating is fine. This is the crux of the matter.
·PPF over a coating will not affect the ability of the film to work in any way in this situation. It will neither make it stronger nor weaker. The OP there was asking about the shark-fin ppf and it's okay to replace that film or coat under it because there is no stretching required. It's flat and easy-peasy to make it hold in place even with a coating and I wanted to put his mind at ease. At the same time, I am not a fan of placing film over, say, a full panel which requires stretching and manipulating the film to make it work if the panel has already been coated as the coating is more likely to cause problems with bonding and there's no benefit to it being under the PPF to start. There are ways around that though. Such as compounding the edges where I would want more bite to the adhesive on the film. All is not lost if someone has a car coated and later decides they want PPF. But it does become a tick more complex than had they had PPF installed prior to the coating being applied. I hope this helps and if I am unclear, please let me know and I will try to explain it a different way.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Momvivant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just recently purchased a CPO...it has a smell which I initially thought was what they had used to detail the car to prep for sale. It’s still there and hasn’t dissipated.

Any products I can use?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Momvivant
Just recently purchased a CPO...it has a smell which I initially thought was what they had used to detail the car to prep for sale. It’s still there and hasn’t dissipated.

Any products I can use?
You need to get to the root of the smell and eliminate that. Once you do that, you can decontaminate every surface in the vehicle and then try using an ozone machine. Be mindful that ozone machines produce elements that are harmful to breath in. So that process should be performed outside of your garage and you want adequate time for airing out before exposing yourself to ozone.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

I have a few minutes available to help if anyone has any questions.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:41 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Are y'all losing your minds yet? Personally, I feel like I am on the planet by myself. All of my staff is off and I am going solo on projects I have in the shop. I am 100% clueless as to what's going on in the world until I get home at night around 10PM and watch the news. Unfortunately it is nothing but bad news for now. But let's try to keep positive in these times... if you need info, post up and I will do my best to help out so you can make the most of your "time off". Too, if anyone wants to chat, feel free to break up the monotony of my days(and yours) all alone at my facility by calling me 678.859.1795 to chat over detailing, ppf and/or coating stuff, please do. Seriously, I don't care if you are nowhere close to me and never spend a dollar at my shop. I need socializing or I am going to lose my mind.

Quick Reply: Any aesthetic car care DIY requests?