Sponsored by:

UK and European Collection

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts
Default UK and European Collection

Can any UK guys comment on how it works with Euro collection?

My dealer said no to collecting my GT2 in march because of a winter tire requirement or something. Hoping I can collect the touring in April.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Can any UK guys comment on how it works with Euro collection?

My dealer said no to collecting my GT2 in march because of a winter tire requirement or something. Hoping I can collect the touring in April.

Thanks
March in stuttgart almost guaranteed to be snow and sludge on the ground. you would not want that on your GT2RS. Germany requires winter tires equipped on the car when the average temperature is 5C which generally equates to around April 1-15th. So if you can have winter tires mounted on the car then its possible to deliver in March. Porsche even rents tires. Sounds more like your dealer doesn't want to deal with the hassle. April you should be okay for the GT3T however I recommend late April if at all possible. and if you can really wait deliver in May the GT2RS and join me and Larry Cable for some epic Nurburgring/Spa action.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
March in stuttgart almost guaranteed to be snow and sludge on the ground. you would not want that on your GT2RS. Germany requires winter tires equipped on the car when the average temperature is 5C which generally equates to around April 1-15th. So if you can have winter tires mounted on the car then its possible to deliver in March. Porsche even rents tires. Sounds more like your dealer doesn't want to deal with the hassle. April you should be okay for the GT3T however I recommend late April if at all possible. and if you can really wait deliver in May the GT2RS and join me and Larry Cable for some epic Nurburgring/Spa action.
Thank you for the invite! I don't think I can wait that long. Not sure when early 3RS's will start production but might try and time it for then and join you guys.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:28 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
Thank you for the invite! I don't think I can wait that long. Not sure when early 3RS's will start production but might try and time it for then and join you guys.
understandable. If it were me i would pick up the GT2RS january/february. don't care. just get it down to a track in italy, france, and portugal asap!
We are around. let us know! always happy to have company! Plan is to leave our cars in germany for a few months so we can come back and play while the weather is nice.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't have UK orders with factory collection til after winter tyre season. It's a technicality based on winter tyres not being an original-order UK option.
Same for all Porsche cars, was even applied to 918s.
May used to be first date for it, so I think you'll be lucky to get Touring. It's very annoying, as a great trip.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

But the winter tires Porsche renting out will be returned to Porsche and the proper tire/wheel combo will be mounted back onto the car before it is shipped out. That's what happened with my 911R last February.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
But the winter tires Porsche renting out will be returned to Porsche and the proper tire/wheel combo will be mounted back onto the car before it is shipped out. That's what happened with my 911R last February.
But for NA customers we need to return the car to the factory. I suspect for an UK customer they would just drive home if they collected the car. Hence Porsche doesn't offer pickup during the snow season.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:33 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
But for NA customers we need to return the car to the factory. I suspect for an UK customer they would just drive home if they collected the car. Hence Porsche doesn't offer pickup during the snow season.
Good point!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:46 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

End of July beginning of August is it a good period for factory collection in Leipzig?
I am thinking to flight in Berlin rent a car and drive up to Monaco passing from Leipzig for factory tour and driving experience.
I will not collect my car as i do not want to drive it without PPF for around 4.000 Kms in EU tour.
Its a big compromise to drive a 330 instead of a 911 but I have to live with this...
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

I did mine there mid-July and it was great. Factory is closed for a while starting late-July / early-August. Also keep in mind holiday breaks for Europeans start ramping up then, I wound up in a quite a bit of traffic at times.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
End of July beginning of August is it a good period for factory collection in Leipzig?
I am thinking to flight in Berlin rent a car and drive up to Monaco passing from Leipzig for factory tour and driving experience.
I will not collect my car as i do not want to drive it without PPF for around 4.000 Kms in EU tour.
Its a big compromise to drive a 330 instead of a 911 but I have to live with this...
Don't let details make you miss out on a life experience. either forget about pff, or have the local guys do it for you. Gt3 in Europe is the dream you don't want to wake up from (mine is lasting two weeks).. don't waste the opportunity.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAlexio speaks wise....nothing like shredding Europe in a new GT...as far as PPF...I drove out of the factory and handed my keys to the PPF guy, took the tour, had lunch, and the car was waiting for me.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:40 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
CAlexio speaks wise....nothing like shredding Europe in a new GT...as far as PPF...I drove out of the factory and handed my keys to the PPF guy, took the tour, had lunch, and the car was waiting for me.
Wow that is very very fast turnaround time. I was quoted 2-3 days for full front end wrap from the recommended PPF guy SchwabenFolia outside of Stuttgart. Buying XPEL tracwrap and just going to try my best at discreetly wrapping her in prone areas after delivery, call it a day, and hit the roads
Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Any good PPF installer in Leipzig that I can make the front part of the car?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:04 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

There is a place called Creasigns that used to do it, not sure if they still do. Jamie in ED will know.

Quick Reply: UK and European Collection